Depression - doe's it really ever go away?

GPWGPW Posts: 3,385
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I took tablets for depression for about 6 months, 10 years ago.
Whilst now I am not having depressive faults, something still stops me from feeling completely free from it, is this normal?

Comments

• Joel's dadJoel's dad Posts: 4,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To live a happy healthy life you need to be depressed to a degree so no, but it can be managed and happiness can happen
  • fat controllerfat controller Posts: 13,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In the medical sense, it does, but it can take a long, long time - however, thereafter you can still feel a bit depressed about things (as everyone does from time to time).
  • SoliloquyOSoundSoliloquyOSound Posts: 111
    Forum Member
    yep it goes away. You turn it into something else.
  • crazychris12crazychris12 Posts: 26,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No. I've been depressed, on and off, for 33 years.
  • shirley222shirley222 Posts: 176
    Forum Member
    Joel's dad wrote: »
    To live a happy healthy life you need to be depressed to a degree so no, but it can be managed and happiness can happen

That is a strange thing to say!?! I have never viewed depression as something you NEED to have in order to live a fulfilling life. Who wants to feel miserable and downcast all the time if you are in your right mind? I am really baffled.

I have suffered with depression for most of my life - in fact since I can remember - and it was only a few years back that I decided to ask for some help from my gp. After several counselling sessions I have found that I can control my feelings to some degree but the major problems arise if I get overtired and stressed. My thinking goes awry and I become quite paranoid. - a lot to do with a very disastrous and loveless life.
    However, my answer to you GPW would be that yes, it is normal to feel that something is amiss and you can never be completely free from it, you just have to learn how to live with it, just as an alchoholic has to keep themselves under control, as they say, one day at a time and recognise the things that may trigger off an episode.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it depends on how your life is.
  • cavallicavalli Posts: 18,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Depression only goes away with the right meds, IMO obviously.
  • joules22joules22 Posts: 1,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Medication will help with depression, but counselling is essential as well. CBT is the best sort of counselling to have, as it gives you solutions and different ways of thinking.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anybody who's happy 100% of the time is someone seriously to be avoided, most of us keep fighting against certain feelings. When you're not miserable for more than around 60% of the time your winning.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In my opinion, it's possible to live your life and experience the emotional ups and downs that everyone goes through without a label of depression or otherwise being applied. I don't think it's "normal" for anyone to live their lives being happy all the time, or depressed all the time.

My own feeling is that society tends to be too quick to label people, especially when it comes to depression. So people who are experiencing particularly tough times that they could otherwise come through by common sense and life experience end up with the tag of being depressed when all they really need to do is work at things.

BUT I speak as someone who's bipolar, and has suffered the very extremes of both ends of the emotional spectrum along with psychosis, so I do believe there are times when medical/psychological intervention are necessary.

Does that make sense? I hope so!
  • floopy123floopy123 Posts: 6,003
    Forum Member
    Nobody can be happy 100 percent of the time unless they're a hermit with no family or friends. The passing of loved ones or close friends will make the most happy person feel sad, even if it's just for a shortish time. I guess some people can come to terms with bad things in life and move on whereas other people can dwell on such things and struggle to move on. It's possible some people are predisposed to depression.
  • HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kinda depends on whether you're talking about run-of-the-mill depression or clinical depression.

Everyone gets depressed from time to time and that will never end. It will simply come and go. But I get the impresion you are referring to some sort of clinical depression, seeing as you were on meds for it. Clinical depression can be beaten and it can go away for good, but from what you say, it sounds like you have lingering issues due to the episode, rather than an actual continuation of the depression. It would be best to speak to a psychiatrist, as a little counselling might be all you need to learn to accept this and move on.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 325
    Forum Member
    hi i'm 20 and have battle with depression since my mum died when i was 10.
    I don't believe that depression ever leaves you fully, I think that is something you learn to deal with.
    with counselling and medication you can beat depression in the sense that you can stop it from controlling you and start to control it! but it will always be there lurking!

It is only you that can keep it at bay!

stay strong and don't worry!

cook
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Am 27 and have been officially recognised as having depression since I was 14, but I'm certain I had it long before then.

I don't think it ever "goes away" but I do think it can be made bearable with the right kind of therapy, and/or meds, and having a GP to go to who is good with mental health. I've been, overall, much better since I was put on 20mgs of citalopram per day last year, but drugs aren't for everyone. You have to try and find a way to deal with it that's best for you. It might be a struggle but if you are persistent you'll get to a point where you can at least cope with it. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nope it doesnt. Just from only my experience.

I found the best pills found a good job paid for my boyf and friends to go away to LA to do the celebrity homes tour. Just something at the top of my list I always wanted to do.

I smiled but inside you know, I still thought 'why arent I happy?' The most perfect day of my life. Ive tried all the pills and therepy. Im good at hiding it though, I guess you really do have to ge used to it and hope next time round it will be different. We even pulled up outside madonnas house.

Hopefully one day we will be allowed wellbutrin, we havent got it in the uk yet. Supposed to work wonders. Doesnt ruin your sex drive either.
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    GPW wrote: »
    I took tablets for depression for about 6 months, 10 years ago.
    Whilst now I am not having depressive faults, something still stops me from feeling completely free from it, is this normal?

Alastair Campbell did a documentary on this once and the way he explained it.. depression is something that never leaves you.. you just need to learn how to control it, recognise when it's getting worse and just accept it's there. Makes a lot of sense to me.
  • BethaneenyBethaneeny Posts: 10,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was diagnosed last December, went on meds til Feb, and then came off them, was much happier etc, although now I'm feeling bleh again :(
  • Joel's dadJoel's dad Posts: 4,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shirley222 wrote: »
    That is a strange thing to say!?! I have never viewed depression as something you NEED to have in order to live a fulfilling life. Who wants to feel miserable and downcast all the time if you are in your right mind? I am really baffled.

I have suffered with depression for most of my life - in fact since I can remember - and it was only a few years back that I decided to ask for some help from my gp. After several counselling sessions I have found that I can control my feelings to some degree but the major problems arise if I get overtired and stressed. My thinking goes awry and I become quite paranoid. - a lot to do with a very disastrous and loveless life.
    However, my answer to you GPW would be that yes, it is normal to feel that something is amiss and you can never be completely free from it, you just have to learn how to live with it, just as an alchoholic has to keep themselves under control, as they say, one day at a time and recognise the things that may trigger off an episode.

To live a fulfilled life you need to be able to experience all emotions this includes sadness and fear, if you dont have these you would never know what happiness and safety is...

Its all about balance
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    joules22 wrote: »
    Medication will help with depression, but counselling is essential as well. CBT is the best sort of counselling to have, as it gives you solutions and different ways of thinking.

I disagree strongly. Counselling can be very bad for some people. It doesn't suit everybody.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Joel's dad wrote: »
    To live a fulfilled life you need to be able to experience all emotions this includes sadness and fear, if you dont have these you would never know what happiness and safety is...

Its all about balance

That's true, but sadness and depression are different aren't they?
  • PaparazzoPaparazzo Posts: 6,155
    Forum Member
    I think it doesn't go away, it's just not as powerful (?) as before.
  • Lobelia OverhilLobelia Overhil Posts: 531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    IME no it doesn't. I've suffered with Depressive illnesses most of my life (some 30 years give or take), the symptoms vary in severity and it does go into a sort of "remission", but it always comes back again.

A few years ago I was in a very dark phase, but since I bought my horse last year I've gone into a remission phase.
  • angelbabyxangelbabyx Posts: 742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Felt very dperessed last yr, after dropped out of college. had been feeling bad since that march though. But it took from sep-march to run its course. In march i had to snap out of it as my mum got ill. Then went on meds for a short time etc etc.

I've been much happier since then tho, i think then was when i realised i had shut myself away too much, and started to meet people etc. I do get loneliness now a lot, but it;s nothin on how i felt last year which pobably was proper depression.:cry:
  • JustmadeitJustmadeit Posts: 7,512
    Forum Member
    from experience depression is usually circumstancial, ie: your life is not the way you want it to be, your relationships etc are bad, or it can caused from feeling a bad person, if you can truly get to the bottom of whats causing your depression and be honest with yourself about whats causing it you stand a chance at happiness

depression is your mind and souls way of telling you to listen, to change your life
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    taking pills only camouflages the problem. to treat depression you need to tackle the issue that's causing it. personal problems, financial problems whatever it is. tackle that and you will it subside