Options

Which countries culture do you most admire?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    maurice45 wrote: »
    UK (obviously)
    The States
    Japan
    Morocco
    Canada
    India

Just saw on the news today a hospital/abortion ship is moored off the coast as women are dying from botched abortions as they are illegal. Not something I would admire about a culture to be honest.
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    What about USA? You mentioned that in your list.

They need to sort it out admittedly. However, the USA is fully democratic, is our best allie and have been very good to us.
  • Options
    What name??What name?? Posts: 26,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Semierotic wrote: »
    Canada's an obvious one. Multi-ethnic but not multi-cultured, and not nearly as religious as its southern neighbour.

I'd say Canada is pretty/very multicultural - which is a good thing.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,444
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't help but be moved by the Muslim population in Mostar, Bosnia whenever I visit.

Call them Muslims, Bosnians.. whatever.. the hardships they have had to face and still endure to this day, whilst the croats over their "side" of the river enjoy a top class university, brand new shopping centres and good homes etc, the muslim "side" of the river live in buildings still war damaged from nearly 20 years ago, if they're lucky enough not to be living in the red cross ghetto that is, the university is falling apart and the main entrance is actually through the ghetto..

Truly beautiful City with a fantastic people, blighted by politics, religion and greed :(
  • Options
    What name??What name?? Posts: 26,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm going for Canada, UK, US, Spain, Cuba (only non-democrasy to make it cos the food, music and atmosphere).
  • Options
    SemieroticSemierotic Posts: 11,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd say Canada is pretty/very multicultural - which is a good thing.

In the number of years I spent there it seemed far more monocultural than Britain despite having a lot more legislation allowing for diversity. Perhaps there's a lesson there - the more a country allows citizens to 'be themselves' the more they'll identify with that country.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Semierotic wrote: »
    In the number of years I spent there it seemed far more monocultural than Britain despite having a lot more legislation allowing for diversity. Perhaps there's a lesson there - the more a country allows citizens to 'be themselves' the more they'll identify with that country.

I thought Vancouver is now called Hongkouver...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I greatly admire Brazilian resourcefulness, positive outlook and the ability to be content with what is often very little. I would have thought that any culture is far too multi-faceted to be admired in its entirety.
  • Options
    SemieroticSemierotic Posts: 11,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought Vancouver is now called Hongkouver...

If it is it's far less prevalent than the supposed 'Londonistan'.
  • Options
    tenofspadestenofspades Posts: 12,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    France, apart from the mass smoking.
  • Options
    DarthchaffinchDarthchaffinch Posts: 7,558
    Forum Member
    Sweden.

The relaxed way of life and importance of the family unit is wonderful. The outdoors nature of life here is also great for the kids. Did you know that kids don't start school here until there are 6?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did you know that kids don't start school here until there are 6?
    Big families then?
  • Options
    LykkieLiLykkieLi Posts: 6,644
    Forum Member
    I don't know...Alaska.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Voynich wrote: »
    The French. They don't sit at home and moan when their politicians treat them like dung. They burn things! :D

Really? I don't admire them when they burn British lambs alive.
  • Options
    1fab1fab Posts: 20,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't admire any of them. They all have horrible flaws.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I feel more in sync with Scandinavian countries, Denmark especially, the US is fun but I don't think I'd want to live there. On balance I think I like my native England the most.
  • Options
    AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like Dutch tolerance, British individualism, and French, Italian and Spanish culture of living. I also have a lot of time for American distrust of the state, and the Japanese penchant for weirdness.
  • Options
    RickWhiteRickWhite Posts: 1,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    North Korea
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RickWhite wrote: »
    North Korea

You have a thing for uniforms?:D
  • Options
    DarthchaffinchDarthchaffinch Posts: 7,558
    Forum Member
    Big families then?

eh?

Forgot to mention a month off during Summer, and 18 months paid parental leave to split between parents!
  • Options
    reglipreglip Posts: 5,268
    Forum Member
    I admire countries that still have family values in their society and look after their elderly.
  • Options
    reglipreglip Posts: 5,268
    Forum Member
    jra wrote: »
    They need to sort it out admittedly. However, the USA is fully democratic, is our best allie and have been very good to us.

Theyve been good to us? How?
  • Options
    PretinamaPretinama Posts: 6,069
    Forum Member
    Honestly, Britain. While there are more than a few things that I'd change if I were king etc. it's actually a pretty good place to live.
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    reglip wrote: »
    Theyve been good to us? How?

WW2, The Falklands War would be a couple of examples.
  • Options
    ArcanaArcana Posts: 37,521
    Forum Member
    As far as I can judge, it would be one of the Scandinavian countries but also I have a bit of a soft spot for Slovenia. ⚑

EDIT: I should just add I'm not anglophobic in any way and I feel quite fortunate generally to have been born where I was.