Options

Halcyon Days

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,667
Forum Member
The halcyon, or kingfisher, is associated in Greek myth with the winter solstice. Alcyone is the goddess of the Halcyone Days, which occur seven days before and seven days after the winter solstice. These were peaceful days when the sea calm enough for the female kingfisher to build a floating nest.

I didn't know that Halcyon was a kingfisher. Seven days until the shortest day!!!

yehhhhhh!

Whatever you are doing today - have a good one!

:)

Comments

• Options
    shhhhhshhhhh Posts: 3,752
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't know that Halcyon was a kingfisher. Seven days until the shortest day!!!

yehhhhhh!

Whatever you are doing today - have a good one!

:)

We had the earliest sunset the other day. The sunsets are actually getting later (only by seconds), but the sunrise is still getting later until about the 28th, if that makes sense.

So we are gaining a few seconds on the night, but losing them in the mornings. Until about the 28th when the mornings will start getting a few seconds lighter per day.

You normally dont notice it until the first few weeks of January.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    shhhhh wrote: »
    We had the earliest sunset the other day. The sunsets are actually getting later (only by seconds), but the sunrise is still getting later until about the 28th, if that makes sense.

So we are gaining a few seconds on the night, but losing them in the mornings. Until about the 28th when the mornings will start getting a few seconds lighter per day.

It's quite fascinating...I check sunset and sunrise times every day too. I think I just hate the dark. I don't change my clocks so the hens are still going in around 4.30...about as early as it gets now.

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/astronomy.html?n=136

I'd always associated the term "halcyon days" with long summers for some reason.

Pagans celebrate for 7 days before and after the solstice and the same Hallowe'en to "bonfire night" with fires every night. They knew how to parteee!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's quite fascinating...I check sunset and sunrise times every day too. I think I just hate the dark. I don't change my clocks so the hens are still going in around 4.30...about as early as it gets now.

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/astronomy.html?n=136

I'd always associated the term "halcyon days" with long summers for some reason.

Pagans celebrate for 7 days before and after the solstice and the same Hallowe'en to "bonfire night" with fires every night. They knew how to parteee!

The middle of the two cycles, March and September is when you notice the greatest time difference in daylight hours.

At its peak in mid March and mid September its something like 6 minutes per day.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The middle of the two cycles, March and September is when you notice the greatest time difference in daylight hours.

At its peak in mid March and mid September its something like 6 minutes per day.

Wow 6 mins a day is massive

I get miserable from September. I count the days between the Equinox and the Solstice.

I think I read too that after the solstice the increase in daylight happens fast at first so you really start feeling the "days drawing out" at first then it slows to a more steady pace.

It's this initial burst that gets plant growing and birds nesting, it's not temperatures, it is the increase in daylight
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow 6 mins a day is massive

I get miserable from September. I count the days between the Equinox and the Solstice.

I think I read too that after the solstice the increase in daylight happens fast at first so you really start feeling the "days drawing out" at first then it slows to a more steady pace.

It's this initial burst that gets plant growing and birds nesting, it's not temperatures, it is the increase in daylight

Nooooooooo it starts very slowly on Dec 21st (few seconds per day) then builds up to a climax on March 21st (about 6 minutes), then starts to slow down again, until June 21st. ( few seconds per day)

You have your solsitces and equinox's mixed up.;)
  • Options
    tuppencehapennytuppencehapenny Posts: 4,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I felt really cheered up when I read this, on here, a couple of days ago. The sunset where I live is now 3.48 and has been for some days, but will be a minute later on the 19th. I'd always thought it just kept getting earlier till the solstice.

Sounds daft really to feel happier because of minutes of light, but I do!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Nooooooooo it starts very slowly on Dec 21st (few seconds per day) then builds up to a climax on March 21st (about 6 minutes), then starts to slow down again, until June 21st. ( few seconds per day)

You have your solsitces and equinox's mixed up.;)

Oh ta! I just thought I'd read it. but what you say does make much more sense.

I know I feel the difference very early, around the start of February it seems much lighter in the evenings.
    I felt really cheered up when I read this, on here, a couple of days ago. The sunset where I live is now 3.48 and has been for some days, but will be a minute later on the 19th. I'd always thought it just kept getting earlier till the solstice.

I know exactly how you feel, I wilt....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I know what you mean, you can get so much more done when the nights are lighter.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh ta! I just thought I'd read it. but what you say does make much more sense.

I know I feel the difference very early, around the start of February it seems mush lighter in the evenings.

Yeah, by February its a good couple of minutes per day.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,373
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ellie Goulding <3<3<3
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I thought this thread was about Ellie Goulding's new album :o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21,093
    Forum Member