Options

Cricket World Cup Thread

1464748495052»

Comments

• Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can when the England bowling pace is way down, and may stay that way until we find someone to replace Graham Swann.

Swanny was the graft that let our fast bowlers rest and refresh. Saying that, I expect Anderson and Broad will stay towards being medium pace bowlers.
  • Options
    BhaveshgorBhaveshgor Posts: 9,312
    Forum Member
    LOL at someone saying india will struggle in england world cup because of the conditions.
    Can someone tell me which team won the 2013 Champions trophy, 2014 odi series in England.

Conditions only really play a part in Test in ODI Conditions have a very marginal effect since pitches are flat and batting wickets So literally any team could win assuming they got good players and play very good cricket.
  • Options
    Mitu_PappiMitu_Pappi Posts: 1,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    You can when the England bowling pace is way down, and may stay that way until we find someone to replace Graham Swann.

Swanny was the graft that let our fast bowlers rest and refresh. Saying that, I expect Anderson and Broad will stay towards being medium pace bowlers.

I dont think Anderson will play in the 2019 world cup. I predict a retirement after the next Ashes mauling. Broad might just hang on for another 4 years.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Did you know that North Marine Road is the biggest ground in the country not to host a test match ?
    I can't think of anywhere bigger.
    and it had had 2 ODIs
    JSemple3 wrote: »
    Was hoping it would be a closer final but it wasn't really.
    It's often the way.
  • Options
    doe_a_deerdoe_a_deer Posts: 2,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm new to cricket, why is there an Ashes this summer? I always thought it was held every two years and therefore every four years a team was at home, is this incorrect? I know it was brought forward a year to avoid The World Cup but why does that affect The Ashes which is held in England? How has that moved two years forward?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,517
    Forum Member
    Borefest wrote: »
    Why do the crowd keep booing Shane Watson

He is considered by some Australians to under perform at the highest level ( A bit like Wayne Rooney for instance ), and is too prone to injury
  • Options
    mimik1ukmimik1uk Posts: 46,701
    Forum Member
    doe_a_deer wrote: »
    I'm new to cricket, why is there an Ashes this summer? I always thought it was held every two years and therefore every four years a team was at home, is this incorrect? I know it was brought forward a year to avoid The World Cup but why does that affect The Ashes which is held in England? How has that moved two years forward?

afaik changing the cycle to avoid the world cup clash had a knock-on effect to more than just a couple of series and it will go back to the 4 year cycle but the recent changes in the ICC and how the FTP works means countries are basically free to do whatever they want now and I expect this will probably mean more series with the likes of Australia and india as those series are where the money is
  • Options
    Darren LethemDarren Lethem Posts: 61,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And to think in Australia in 2011 the Aussie press were pushing for a new captain.
  • Options
    ACUACU Posts: 9,104
    Forum Member
    Well done to Australia. Won the final quite easily, although I did think that McCullums approach was a bit reckless, ala Afridi. He missed the first two balls, the wise thing would have been to take it easy.

I "watched" the Pak/Aus quarter final in Pakistan and was surprised by the lack of interest in the match. We went to Lahore the day of the match, to do some sightseeing (so didnt hardly see any of the match), I asked a few people the score, and not many knew.

I saw the end of the SA/NZ match in a restaurant, and it was packed. Once the match was over, people just left.
  • Options
    BhaveshgorBhaveshgor Posts: 9,312
    Forum Member
    Not surprised ACU Cricket interest in pakistan is an all time low mainly because Pakistan are not a strong team, no cricket in pakistan and not really playing any blockbuster games.

Although surprised by the lack of interest against Australia considering you expect a big Quarter final game to get people excited in Pakistan.
  • Options
    BrianlionBrianlion Posts: 2,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    anti climax of a final. i woke up early to watch it but its a real struggle for the kiwis.
    if mccullam had stayed in for 10-20 overs, it could have made for a very interesting game!

i remember the NZ vs SA game, he was brutal against steyn. hitting him out the park for 6's. steyn got man handled and i've not seen that happen to him before.
  • Options
    dtcdtcdtcdtcdtcdtc Posts: 16,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Deleted (Wrong thread)
  • Options
    ACUACU Posts: 9,104
    Forum Member
    Bhaveshgor wrote: »
    Not surprised ACU Cricket interest in pakistan is an all time low mainly because Pakistan are not a strong team, no cricket in pakistan and not really playing any blockbuster games.

Although surprised by the lack of interest against Australia considering you expect a big Quarter final game to get people excited in Pakistan.

I think the public knew they wouldnt win and it would be a pretty much one-sided game. So werent that bothered. Then again maybe I was asking the wrong people. If you were interested in the game you would have been at home watching it, rather than walking around the tourist sites. I was certainly hoping for more of a buzz during the game, but didnt quite see it.

If Pakistan had managed to hold some of its catches, then maybe as the match carried on, more and more people would have got into it.
  • Options
    carnivalistcarnivalist Posts: 4,565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ACU wrote: »
    Well done to Australia. Won the final quite easily, although I did think that McCullums approach was a bit reckless, ala Afridi. He missed the first two balls, the wise thing would have been to take it easy...

To be fair, going all guns blazing has worked for him in the past. I think he was nervous/too pumped up - when he spoke at the coin toss I got the impression he was not confident deep down. His swipe-and-miss-stuff had an air of desperation to them to my eyes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    abecern wrote: »
    ....he finals in cricket world cups are always a disappointment...

You're obviously too young to remember 1975!
    However, I think as a tournament itself it's has been a good one....

Absolutely - cracking fun this time. I wish it was still on the BBC so we could have more actual airtime in the highlights. (Can't afford Sky).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    david1955 wrote: »
    Agreed . I just don't think you could just lift the ball out of the ground from the likes of Marshall and Garner. They had little bit of extra pace which makes all the difference

Not just that - they had exceptional control too and Marshall could make the ball talk at extreme pace.

The West Indies pace bowlers of that era were a collection of freaks - I genuinely don't believe that even Australia would have handled them at all confidently even in the different context of the modern era. A beast like Colin Croft, who Boycott described as one of the most unplayable bowlers he ever faced, could barely get into the side.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,517
    Forum Member
    Not just that - they had exceptional control too and Marshall could make the ball talk at extreme pace.

The West Indies pace bowlers of that era were a collection of freaks - I genuinely don't believe that even Australia would have handled them at all confidently even in the different context of the modern era. A beast like Colin Croft, who Boycott described as one of the most unplayable bowlers he ever faced, could barely get into the side.

Sylvester Clarke and Wayne Daniel also could not get regular spots. Clarke was a particularly mean individual. Aggers tells the story of him batting against him. Although he could have just bowled him out first ball, he kept on bowling bouncers at Aggers as he backed off to leg, and put him through torture for about two overs before bowling him. And it was all smiles at the end of the day when Sylvester bought him a pint!
  • Options
    Darren LethemDarren Lethem Posts: 61,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You're obviously too young to remember 1975!

Absolutely - cracking fun this time. I wish it was still on the BBC so we could have more actual airtime in the highlights. (Can't afford Sky).

Highlights weren't on Sky, they were on ITV so you could watch them