Options

The Unblind Battles: the youngest always wins

DrPepperDrPepper Posts: 2,655
Forum Member
✭✭✭
And this, is how The Voice, got very predictable, very quickly.

Comments

• Options
    barrcode88barrcode88 Posts: 6,849
    Forum Member
    Toni and Cassius and the two hippies (no offense) say hello! - void argument.
  • Options
    dee-recdee-rec Posts: 2,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I definetely agree, this youth over experience every time is making me a bit uneasy.
  • Options
    dee-recdee-rec Posts: 2,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But when a younger one is against an older one its always the youngest that gets through.
  • Options
    daniellehdanielleh Posts: 7,852
    Forum Member
    dee-rec wrote: »
    But when a younger one is against an older one its always the youngest that gets through.

Regarding the BIB - you do realise a younger one will always be against an older one in the battle rounds?

Anyway, it's a null point - some of the older contestants in the battles got through.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    barrcode88 wrote: »
    Toni and Cassius and the two hippies (no offense) say hello! - void argument.

What 1 out of 20 yer right that prove a point NOT. :p

So your the one with the void argument as you can only come up with 1 out of 20. unlike many who were younger then the others who older and was kicked out.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hitnmix wrote: »

So your the one with the void argument as you can only come up with 1 out of 20. unlike many who were younger then the others who older and was kicked out.

Exactly. The main point is that there is a clear trend of choosing the younger act. If age really didn't matter, then the older act would be chosen as much as the younger act - and that clearly doesn't happen.

I have no problem with them choosing the more marketable act by the way, I just wish they wouldn't do it while pretending that it's 'all about the voice'.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The barefoot guy should definitely gone through, the Five Star singer should have gone through, the engaged guy should have gone through, the beardy guy with the blue shirt with side stripes should have gone through - all of them should have gone through over who they battled. And there's more, I just can't think of them.

How very predictable.

What's next - Cheryl Cole!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just remembered the girl with the red pixie hairdo - she should definitely have gone through.
  • Options
    barrcode88barrcode88 Posts: 6,849
    Forum Member
    DrPepper wrote: »
    Just remembered the girl with the red pixie hairdo - she should definitely have gone through.

In your opinion - she shouldn't have gone through just because YOU liked her.
  • Options
    posiepebblesposiepebbles Posts: 1,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hitnmix wrote: »

Erm, 1? Can you count at all? You may have a point overall but ignoring any evidence against it doesn't make it come across very well.
  • Options
    unclekevounclekevo Posts: 20,749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Barbara , Denise, John James, Deniece and Aundrea beg to differ.
  • Options
    StigOfTheKrumpStigOfTheKrump Posts: 36,363
    Forum Member
    unclekevo wrote: »
    Barbara , Denise, John James, Deniece and Aundrea beg to differ.

But none of those got through :o

Anyway, hitnmix, it's THREE out of twenty, I'm surprised you can't even count to three!
  • Options
    mimik1ukmimik1uk Posts: 46,701
    Forum Member
    i think people are really over-reacting to this

simple fact is that the respective judges in each of the cases where "growth" was mentioned as a factor couldn't split the 2 contestants so naturally went for the one they felt might improve

are people really being so obsessed with conspiracy theories when a 17 year old gets picked in front of a 21 year old because the judge thinks he has more raw talent to work with that its about age, i didn't realise 21 year olds were past it these days

i've been watching these type of shows for more years than i want to think about and the people who usually end being the most impressive are the ones who are raw and dont have alot of experience at the start but improve once they are exposed to proper coaching whereas the more established performers just stagnate
  • Options
    StigOfTheKrumpStigOfTheKrump Posts: 36,363
    Forum Member
    Jaz, Tyler and Vince were all older too, so that's 6.
  • Options
    ESPIONdansantESPIONdansant Posts: 6,760
    Forum Member
    Barbara pub singer
    Denise dull
    John James too 'luvvie'
    Deniece (living dead)
    Aundrea bit of a shouter

I see very valid reasons not to pick them. Of course, there are also many reasons why people might want to. But their dismissals weren't stupid.
  • Options
    hickenhicken Posts: 4,454
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with the OP. Much was made of choosing young people who could be 'improved'. Equally then, you could teach older people with amazing voices how to update their presentation and phrasing.

I was really disappointed with the way that most older people were shaved away because they were seen as less interesting. For example, I really liked Sam Buttery but WTF was that decision about? Not the voice that's for sure.
  • Options
    ribtickleribtickle Posts: 6,361
    Forum Member
    Generally speaking it has appeared as though the younger one typically got through in the Battle rounds. I think that may be partly due to the younger one tending to have a more elastic vocal range, hitting higher notes and managing to stand out more, even if they don't have the same control as the older, more experienced performer next to them.

There's been some odd explanations for why they chose the younger one. Will chose a 17-year-old girl, whose voice simply was not up the task, because he would not be where he is now (sat in a red chair choosing 17-year-olds) if he hadn't once been that 17-year-old, with her 27-year-old red-haired opponent like him when he started the 'Peas. So basically you can get through to the live rounds if a coach experiences a 'lie down and tell me about your childhood moment'.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    barrcode88 wrote: »
    In your opinion - she shouldn't have gone through just because YOU liked her.

I never said I liked her, I said she should have gone through because she the better VOICE - the clue is supposed to be in the name of the show.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DrPepper wrote: »
    the Five Star singer should have gone through,

Definitely not. I think she was the worst out of everyone!!
  • Options
    ShellmanShellman Posts: 742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    True. 15/20 of the time the youngest contestant was chosen. Rather predictable.
  • Options
    mrkite77mrkite77 Posts: 5,386
    Forum Member
    I'm finding the differences between the UK and US versions interesting... definitely a difference in culture.

In the US version, the young ones are almost always sent home with a "you still have plenty of time to mature and develop your talent".
  • Options
    daniellejaynedaniellejayne Posts: 2,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Someone did a chart of the older/younger artists that got through on another thread and it was split 13 - younger to 7 - older.
    However out of the younger ones one was only 2 years younger, one was only 3 years younger, one was only 4 years younger and one was only 1 year younger. So not much difference between them.

So no the younger ones didn't get through every time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Someone did a chart of the older/younger artists that got through on another thread and it was split 13 - younger to 7 - older.
    However out of the younger ones one was only 2 years younger, one was only 3 years younger, one was only 4 years younger and one was only 1 year younger. So not much difference between them.

So no the younger ones didn't get through every time.

Well another chart showed that 15/20 times the younger person got through.
  • Options
    daniellejaynedaniellejayne Posts: 2,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shellman wrote: »
    Well another chart showed that 15/20 times the younger person got through.

Which one? I'm talking about this one;
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=57820104&postcount=11
    Although after checking the ages of the artists Ruth Anne is younger than Ben so it's actually a 14/6 split
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Which one? I'm talking about this one;
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=57820104&postcount=11
    Although after checking the ages of the artists Ruth Anne is younger than Ben so it's actually a 14/6 split

I'll get the one I'm talking about up in a sec... it was either by lumiere or yohinnchild...