Do people in London look at house prices in the north?

howard hhoward h Posts: 23,369
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Just contacted someone who reckons you can't get a two-bed house for less than £500,000 - because he lives in London. He's never checked the websites of estate agents, otherwise he'd see what he could get for £500,000 up here, and it's a darned sight more than a two-bed semi.

That money could easily get you a three-bed detached with garage in a leafy suburb. Two bed semi for £150,000 is well possible, leaving him £350,000 spending money - maybe enough to retire early on!

And, on top, I bet the cost of living here, from a pint to a ticket to the footy is a darned sight cheaper too!

So, just wondering, how many on here with property in the south have bothered looking what you could get in the north for the sale of it?

Comments

• What name??What name?? Posts: 26,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No. When they mean you can't get a home under X they leave unspoken the "where you would consider living" part.
  • welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't live to London although I do work there and when I get closer to retirement age hope to sell our house in Hertfordshire and move further north - we would consider it now but the commuting time/costs would be excessive and my husband wouldn't want to move too far away from his elderly mum
  • HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, because they'd never even consider living outside London, sadly.

This is the problem we have. Flies round shit.
  • JJ75JJ75 Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    howard h wrote: »
    Just contacted someone who reckons you can't get a two-bed house for less than £500,000 - because he lives in London. He's never checked the websites of estate agents, otherwise he'd see what he could get for £500,000 up here, and it's a darned sight more than a two-bed semi.

That money could easily get you a three-bed detached with garage in a leafy suburb. Two bed semi for £150,000 is well possible, leaving him £350,000 spending money - maybe enough to retire early on!

And, on top, I bet the cost of living here, from a pint to a ticket to the footy is a darned sight cheaper too!

So, just wondering, how many on here with property in the south have bothered looking what you could get in the north for the sale of it?

But why would you bother looking when your life is down south. Bit pointless isnt it. Thank godness I live up north!!
  • Gary_LandyFanGary_LandyFan Posts: 3,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where I live in Guisborough, the 3 bed terraces (max 5 in a row) are sold for £100,000 or less, usually less too.
  • howard hhoward h Posts: 23,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    No, because they'd never even consider living outside London, sadly.

This is the problem we have. Flies round shit.

If I could sell a house in London for £600k, move to one up here which may be larger for £300k, I'd pack in the job and live off the £300k left over!

Basically, if you won £300k in the lottery, and you are in your forties/fifties - that's what you do the lottery for, innit :D
  • rupert_pupkinrupert_pupkin Posts: 3,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't take a free house up north because I don't want to live there. I'm sure people have considered the difference in house prices and living costs and moved up there though
  • CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,294
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JJ75 wrote: »
    But why would you bother looking when your life is down south. Bit pointless isnt it. Thank godness I live up north!!

Well quite. If your work and all your family and friends are in a particular area, looking at houses a couple of hundred miles away would be pretty pointless no matter what bargains they are.
  • What name??What name?? Posts: 26,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I could sell a house in London for £600k, move to one up here which may be larger for £300k, I'd pack in the job and live off the £300k left over!
    If you won the lottery most people would want to live in a place that they wanted to live. What's the point of moving somewhere cheap that isn't what you want?

People do that when they are old and slowing down, and even then many chose to head fir the sun rather than purely for cheapness.

Last week they were advertising a castle. It was cheaper than a central Lindon apartment. It was chap because it was isolated. Location, location, location.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you won the lottery most people would want to live in a place that they wanted to live. What's the point of moving somewhere cheap that isn't what you want?

People do that when they are old and slowing down, and even then many chose to head fir the sun rather than purely for cheapness.

Last week they were advertising a castle. It was cheaper than a central Lindon apartment. It was chap because it was isolated. Location, location, location.

If I had won the lottery I'd be as far away from a city as possible. Wales, Norfolk, The North..

Isn't that the appeal of the idea on 'Escape to the country'? Anyone with any sense wants to be more isolated :D
  • edExedEx Posts: 13,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If they're going to look for cheap property, rather than property in their area, why not go the whole hog and look in Canada? It's really cheap there compared to London.

To answer the question though, yes I look all the time. There have been numerous occasions when I've considered leaving the smoke and returning to Stockport, where I could probably get a flat twice the size of my current Bloomsbury shoebox for a third of the price. Trouble is, I'm certain my partner wouldn't follow me.
  • howard hhoward h Posts: 23,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spend a life living in debt and poverty in London or spend a life, with the same money, living in luxury 200 miles away.

Hmmm. Dunno the answer to that one.
  • pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    City people would be amazed what you can get in the country. Cinemas, pubs, shops, jobs, friends...they all exist within easy reach unless you live in the highlands or something.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Spend a life living in debt and poverty in London or spend a life, with the same money, living in luxury 200 miles away.

Hmmm. Dunno the answer to that one.
    Hardly debt and poverty. I have no mortgage. The only thing we compromise on is space.
  • Master OzzyMaster Ozzy Posts: 18,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What a ridiculous thread. If you live in London and have a life here, job, friends why would you move up north? I live in London and it's expensive yes, but I absolutely love it. I have friends in Manchester, Liverpool and other cities and visit them quite a bit, but I absolutely love London. It's a huge city and there's always something going on, so many different, vibrant areas. I love it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    edEx wrote: »
    Hardly debt and poverty. I have no mortgage. The only thing we compromise on is space.

... And cost of living, air quality (including general health), noise pollution, stretched public services, aesthetic consideration, overpopulation.. among other things.

I will never see the attraction of living in such crowded places. This town is bad enough and it only has a population of 80,000!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    ... And cost of living, air quality (including general health), noise pollution, stretched public services, aesthetic consideration, overpopulation.. among other things.
    Our public services are really good here though. The public transport is excellent, the streets are cleaned daily, etc. However, I get the thing about air and noise pollution. Many a time I've been awoken by sirens going past or students staggering back drunk from ULU in the early hours.

Cost of living (excluding housing) isn't a problem though. You tend to earn more here because the cost of living is higher, so that balances out.
  • PrincessTTPrincessTT Posts: 4,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've looked...

But when I factor in the effect on my kids of taking them away from friends & family and the cost (and time) for travelling back to visit said friends/family, then it just wouldn't be worth it.
  • stirlingguy1stirlingguy1 Posts: 7,038
    Forum Member
    People make it sound so easy! "Just move up north"! Unfortunately, it isn't always that easy. In certain sectors, the media for example, it's near on impossible to get a job outside of London. I have a 2 bedroom apartment in leafy Wimbledon, around £330k. It isn't crowded or noisy or polluted outside my front door, I love it. Long walks on the Common, quiet pavement cafes, a fantastic atmosphere.... Yeah, things cost a bit more, but that's why Londoners are generally paid more. I am certainly better off here than when I lived up north. London isn't just one big homogenous grey and dirty ***hole, you know.
  • netcurtainsnetcurtains Posts: 23,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Swings and roundabouts though really with neither side any better off. I live in Hull, bought my house dirt cheap years ago but I worry for my offspring. I'm encouraging my 18yr old to leave, isn't that awful? There are no jobs, half of Hull is boarded up and neglected. The recession is far from over here and I can't see any signs of recovery. My other half is a taxi driver, he earns less in a week now than he did ten yrs ago. So yeah our mortgage might be peanuts (£160 mth) but it has to be as our income is piss poor. If he was a cabbie in London, his income would probably be 10times what it is now but so would our mortgage so it's all relative isn't it?
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,389
    Forum Member
    If I lived in London and had some money, I'd just buy my own northern county

Barryshire.

Use it as a countryside retreat.
  • stirlingguy1stirlingguy1 Posts: 7,038
    Forum Member
    pugamo wrote: »
    City people would be amazed what you can get in the country. Cinemas, pubs, shops, jobs, friends...they all exist within easy reach unless you live in the highlands or something.

Bit patronising. London-specific, but you'll find that an awful lot of Londoners come from areas of the UK well outside London and are well aware that cinemas and shops can be found in the outer depths of, say, Lancashire. Again, it's about jobs.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If I lived in London and had some money, I'd just buy my own northern county

Barryshire.

Use it as a countryside retreat.
    Might not stretch to a northern county, but you should be able to snap up Northern Ireland for the price of a three-bedroom flat in Chiswick. Might be worth it if you like playing golf in the rain.
  • CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,294
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    . If he was a cabbie in London, his income would probably be 10times what it is now but so would our mortgage so it's all relative isn't it?

Don't you believe it. My husbands earnings are about 40-50% down on what they werewhen he first got his badge 6 years ago.
  • NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You want insane prices. A friend of mine recently had his three-bedroom apartment in SW3 valued. I shit you not, it was valued at the best part of £7 million. :o