Derren Brown - Miracle (possible spoilers don't read if you don't want it spoilt)

rockerchickrockerchick Posts: 9,255
Forum Member
I was up on stage with Derren during one of his shows last month. It is really bugging me how he pulled off the trick he did with me, does anyone have any theories on how he did it? It is the one where he puts a twitter status on asking for a word, then the person chosen (me) had to pick a word and keep it secret) Then i was called up on stage with a book i had been given earlier and I was told to go to the number page that a person had picked earlier which was missing and in Derren's pocket. He had me take it out and one of the words was covered up and low and behold that was the word I had secretly picked earlier. Over a month later and I still can't figure it out. He must have placed hidden cameras around the place surely? That's all I can think of. Plus the word I picked was quite unusual so I don't know how it would have been in the book in the first place! Thanks in advance :D

Comments

• bollywoodbollywood Posts: 67,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Old fashioned sleight of hand and props. There is only one way to do magic. The test is window dressing.
  • rockerchickrockerchick Posts: 9,255
    Forum Member
    Thanks for your reply but I still don't know how he knew which word I had picked.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for your reply but I still don't know how he knew which word I had picked.

You'd have to walk through the process of how you picked the word (from what) what you did, where was it kept, where were you physically. How did you verify it was the same word. Your description is too vague, I'm afraid.
  • AsarualimAsarualim Posts: 3,884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From what I've seen of Derren's shows, the trick is actually in making you think you picked the word yourself, rather than one he gave you through auto suggestion. The only time i've picked up on this was one of the programs he did debunking other's claiming to have powers like telepathy. In one of these he was claimng to have the power of telepathy by guessing what someone would draw in a different room, and he used the phrase "just draw whatever floats into your mind". I immediately thought "sail boat" and sure enough that's what the person had drawn, and of course Derren "guessed" it.

So in your case, i'm guessing he somehow, from the words or phrases he used in the lad up to the trick, planted the word in your mind that he wanted you to pick and that he'd setup in the book.
  • simysimy Posts: 1,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    About a month ago he was on Twitter every night asking people to tweet random words to him, and would get loads of responses. I assume it's a mater of matching your word to one of the random twitter words somehow. Did you reveal your word at any stage to anyone or write it down anywhere?.
  • gasheadgashead Posts: 13,815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ooh, a Derren Brown thread. :p

<Grabs popcorn, settles in for some fun>
  • Thomas CrewesThomas Crewes Posts: 733
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Asarualim wrote: »
    From what I've seen of Derren's shows, the trick is actually in making you think you picked the word yourself, rather than one he gave you through auto suggestion.
    No, this is just another of his bluffs to conceal the comparatively mundane truth that he's just a stage magician doing tricks.
    Forum Member
    bollywood wrote: »
    You'd have to walk through the process of how you picked the word (from what) what you did, where was it kept, where were you physically. How did you verify it was the same word. Your description is too vague, I'm afraid.

I was first called out to the side of the audience and he had me and another audience member get out our phones and look through the words everyone had sent in 10 mins earlier on the twitter status, wrote it down (and I made sure no one was looking and quickly folded it up and put it in my bag. (earlier in the show he asked a random audience member to pick a three digit number between a certain set of numbers - although this was quite a large range) then in the second half he picked me over the other audience member to come up on stage. then all the stuff with the going to the page (of the number the other audience member had picked earlier) to find it missing happened then he said pull this out of my pocket. the book went down on the side of the table and they got the camera on it, told me to screw my eyes shut, revealed the covered word on the page to the audience then with my eyes still shut he had me say out loud the word i secretly picked. I still have the paper now so they didn't sneakily take it off me or anything. Even after the show I had people coming up to me asking if I was a real audience member! Haha
    Forum Member
    simy wrote: »
    About a month ago he was on Twitter every night asking people to tweet random words to him, and would get loads of responses. I assume it's a mater of matching your word to one of the random twitter words somehow. Did you reveal your word at any stage to anyone or write it down anywhere?.
    Yes, see above post. But i was VERY careful.
  • Funk YouFunk You Posts: 6,864
    Forum Member
    Its easy, through his talks he says words. Audience picks up on what he says, thinks of a word that is the same or similar and bobs your uncle. Sorry to piss on your bonfire.
    Forum Member
    Funk You wrote: »
    Its easy, through his talks he says words. Audience picks up on what he says, thinks of a word that is the same or similar and bobs your uncle. Sorry to piss on your bonfire.

Sounds like it could go wrong too easily though...

No 'pissing on my bonfire' - I'm aware it was a trick, was just interesting to know how he did it. Plus it's something he would have difficulty preparing in advance for as the twitter status is put up during the show.
  • Thomas CrewesThomas Crewes Posts: 733
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It could, that's not how he did it at all.
    No 'pissing on my bonfire' - I'm aware it was a trick, was just interesting to know how he did it. Plus it's something he would have difficulty preparing in advance for as the twitter status is put up during the show.
    Were you provided the pen with which to write the word? Possibly a very simple explanation if so.
  • Funk YouFunk You Posts: 6,864
    Forum Member

No 'pissing on my bonfire' - I'm aware it was a trick, was just interesting to know how he did it.

Each as own but his magic tricks or mind tricks dont seem to wash with me, maybe I just see through it all. I'm not saying you or others are thick, I guess I mean that if you rip it all apart and look into it under the microscope you can easily piece together how its done. Even you or I could do it.
    Forum Member
    It could, that's not how he did it at all.

Were you provided the pen with which to write the word? Possibly a very simple explanation if so.

Yes i was by one of the theatre staff. What is this explanation :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Asarualim wrote: »
    From what I've seen of Derren's shows, the trick is actually in making you think you picked the word yourself, rather than one he gave you through auto suggestion. The only time i've picked up on this was one of the programs he did debunking other's claiming to have powers like telepathy. In one of these he was claimng to have the power of telepathy by guessing what someone would draw in a different room, and he used the phrase "just draw whatever floats into your mind". I immediately thought "sail boat" and sure enough that's what the person had drawn, and of course Derren "guessed" it.

So in your case, i'm guessing he somehow, from the words or phrases he used in the lad up to the trick, planted the word in your mind that he wanted you to pick and that he'd setup in the book.

Nah nothing to do with auto suggestion. It's a very old trick. The trick is in making you assume he used suggestion or psychology, that he does not.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Funk You wrote: »

It has to be much more foolproof than that.

A very old trick polished up. It's the book trick using Twitter. He wants people to think he uses suggestion but he doesn't.
  • planetsplanets Posts: 47,784
    Forum Member
    It has to be much more foolproof than that.

A very old trick polished up. It's the book trick using Twitter. He wants people to think he uses suggestion but he doesn't.

you've intimated several times on this thread you know how it's done "it's a very old trick" so walk us through exactly how he did it....that is after all what the OP asked for :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was first called out to the side of the audience and he had me and another audience member get out our phones and look through the words everyone had sent in 10 mins earlier on the twitter status, wrote it down (and I made sure no one was looking and quickly folded it up and put it in my bag. (earlier in the show he asked a random audience member to pick a three digit number between a certain set of numbers - although this was quite a large range) then in the second half he picked me over the other audience member to come up on stage. then all the stuff with the going to the page (of the number the other audience member had picked earlier) to find it missing happened then he said pull this out of my pocket. the book went down on the side of the table and they got the camera on it, told me to screw my eyes shut, revealed the covered word on the page to the audience then with my eyes still shut he had me say out loud the word i secretly picked. I still have the paper now so they didn't sneakily take it off me or anything. Even after the show I had people coming up to me asking if I was a real audience member! Haha

It was probably a simple forced choice trick he used. It's never as fascinating when you know that though, is it?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    planets wrote: »
    you've intimated several times on this thread you know how it's done "it's a very old trick" so walk us through exactly how he did it....that is after all what the OP asked for :)

I replied already it's most likely a variation of the book trick, that is a forced choice trick.
  • idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    I think it was honest to goodness magic. Shazam.
  • planetsplanets Posts: 47,784
    Forum Member
    I replied already it's most likely a variation of the book trick, that is a forced choice trick.

That's not "walking us through exactly how it was done".
    A couple of times you said "it's a very old trick" then you said "it's the book trick" that is you stating you know how it is done. Then that changed to "probably a forced choice trick" now it's "most likely a variation of..." so you don't know then, you are merely hypothesising.^_^
  • Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

What is the book trick? I'm a real thicko when it comes to this kind of stuff so can you explain in layman's terms exactly how he did it?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    planets wrote: »
    That's not "walking us through exactly how it was done".
    A couple of times you said "it's a very old trick" then you said "it's the book trick" that is you stating you know how it is done. Then that changed to "probably a forced choice trick" now it's "most likely a variation of..." so you don't know then.^_^

I would have to see the whole trick to 'walk you through it.'

I say probably because there is more than one way to do the trick and forced choice is the most likely.

But I'm sure no psychology was involved other than lying as magicians do.
    Forum Member
    I still don't understand but thanks anyway.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Miss XYZ wrote: »
    What is the book trick? I'm a real thicko when it comes to this kind of stuff so can you explain in layman's terms exactly how he did it?

Are we going to have a thread each month to reveal magic tricks?

The book trick is an old trick in which the magician already chose the word in the book.