1471 phone charges?

2»

Comments

• Options
    ek-ukek-uk Posts: 2,395
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    leons wrote: »
    Judging by the footnote at the bottom of the page...Charges MAY apply for the 1471 plus the call..:eek:

1Where a charge applies for using 1471 the cost is 12 pence, plus the standard call connection and pence per minute rates. You will hear an announcement when you dial 1471 if this charge applies.

It's not all that clear is it. Bringing up the link for residential charges and searching for 1471 brought up this though:-
    Calling 1471 is free, but if you choose to return the call (that’s Option 3) you may be charged to make this call – just listen to the
    announcement carefully.

So it looks like post No 2 in this thread from five years ago is still correct.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Swipe wrote: »
    How about when you press 0 to erase the message?

are you sure you're not thinking on 1571?

The obvious answer here seems to be to use 1471.... then hang up and re-dial the number yourself to avoid incuring any extra charges!
  • Options
    call100call100 Posts: 7,278
    Forum Member
    I don't understand what is so difficult!! Dial 1471...Free. Ask it to make a call for you (because you can't remember the number) and you will be charged for the call plus an extra 6p/12p connection fee.....I didn't even know that pressing another button was possible as I always hang up as soon as the number is announced.
  • Options
    Katia PolletinKatia Polletin Posts: 4,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just use the caller display facility on my phone to see who the last callers were and then dial from there, helps also I don't pay for Caller Display.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 99
    Forum Member
    i phoned virgin media on monday to ask that very question and eventually i was told it is a 12p connection charge if you press the option 3. so ill just hang up and redial the number rather than pay just to press a button. (dick turpin wore a mask)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,503
    Forum Member
    I just use the caller display facility on my phone to see who the last callers were and then dial from there, helps also I don't pay for Caller Display.

I am amazed that Caller Display is normally £2 a month! No wonder they call landline their cash cow!
  • Options
    carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,714
    Forum Member
    Yeah. Their phone service really is the weakest of their ... erm... services. No wonder they insist on bundling it 'cos no-one would have it if they didn't ;)
  • Options
    rossi_drrossi_dr Posts: 1,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where a charge applies for using 1471 the cost is 12 pence, plus the standard call connection and pence per minute rates.
    http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/phone/chargecalls.html

A call connection charge of 10p per call applies unless otherwise stated.

6.5p per minute rate

residential tariff http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/phone/callingcosts.html

am i correct in thinking if i use 1471 then press 3 its 12p cost then 10p standard call connection charge then 6.5p per minute ?

but
    if i take note of the number from 1471 then redial the number my self its 10p connection charge then 6.5p per minute ?
    crafty mr virgin media
  • Options
    seanfitzyseanfitzy Posts: 556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    from what i was told yesterday by c/s is- it says maybe charged as it depends what call package your on. As im on xl there will be no connection charge or call charges,your only charged for anything if your ringing out of your allowance.i think this is also the same way bt charge . i know when you press 1471 on bt it always says if you press 3 call charges may apply
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    No it's not just you I have just noticed on my bill it's now 12pence to call, when I queried it I was told there must have been a problem with my post when the letter went out, I wont be using it again.