Options

The Bodyguard

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
Forum Member
If anyone is interested its on Turner classic movie channel..also itv are showing it soon on 25th feb..It was on last week, so i recorded it ..a change of programme after the death of Whitney Houston :( boy kevin Costner is hot in it :o

Comments

• Options
    Andy BirkenheadAndy Birkenhead Posts: 13,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a good film, Whitney is gorgeous in it, but I'll never forgive her for that awful, caterwauling version of the sublime Dolly Parton song I Will Always Love You
  • Options
    guernseysnailguernseysnail Posts: 18,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm going to watch tonight,,quite looking forward to it.
  • Options
    rybevrybev Posts: 1,900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No offence to Whit but I'd never put myself through this.

@Andy - regardless of your music tastes, I hardly think Whitney could ever be accused of caterwauling.
  • Options
    SillyBillyGoatSillyBillyGoat Posts: 22,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rybev wrote: »
    @Andy - regardless of your music tastes, I hardly think Whitney could ever be accused of caterwauling.

Not that I agree with the claim, but we all have different opinions. Whitney can be accused of caterwauling, because we live in a democracy.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,174
    Forum Member
    If you want caterwauling, just listen to Mariah Carey or Celine Dion. Carey in particular cannot leave off a note if she can drag it out just a little bit more. Whitney's I will Always Love You is a very powerful song, sung beautifully. Better yet, you should check her singing it live. Amazing, truly.
  • Options
    RaptureRiderRaptureRider Posts: 1,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another film ITV have aired to death. If it's not The Bodyguard it's True Lies, Bridget Jones and Along Came Polly.
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,509
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I watched this yesterday
    Whitney couldn't act sadly and the film was so predictable
    Thank god she is best known for her music
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,760
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love the film......especially the ending......and the song is so approapriate to the movie.

It wasn't meant to be an Oscar winning movie showcasing the world's best actors.

It was meant to be pure entertainment....and that is exactly what it is. Done brilliantly.

I love how in the end, she doesn't end up with him, so it's not really a happily ever after story.
  • Options
    JEFF62JEFF62 Posts: 5,103
    Forum Member
    Another film ITV have aired to death. If it's not The Bodyguard it's True Lies, Bridget Jones and Along Came Polly.

I know what you mean, especially the Bridget Jones movies. They must be the most screened films in ITV history! Edge Of reason was on ITV1 again the other saturday night. I notice it is showing on Sky Movies soon so maybe ITV will finally stop showing it!
  • Options
    Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No offence to Whit but I'd never put myself through this.

She was a caterwauler, a damn good one at that! Mariah, Celine and Whitney were the Queen's of caterwauling. :) There is nothing better than a good old belt/Wauble/scream/shout, however one wants to describe it.
  • Options
    M.D.N.AM.D.N.A Posts: 420
    Forum Member
    I want to see it, i've seen bits of it as my mum had it on video when I was a kid, but I wasn't interested. I am now though, also love the soundtrack.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I watched this yesterday
    Whitney couldn't act sadly and the film was so predictable
    Thank god she is best known for her music

It was watchable and had a decent enough storyline, with great music. It was better than Glitter.
  • Options
    rybevrybev Posts: 1,900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She was a caterwauler, a damn good one at that! Mariah, Celine and Whitney were the Queen's of caterwauling. :) There is nothing better than a good old belt/Wauble/scream/shout, however one wants to describe it.

Was she? Really?

Now i'm just your average Whitney "fan" - i like some of her stuff but never bought an album, so trust me i'm not getting all defensive....... but Catawauling????????
    Are you sure?

Dictionary definition:
    cat·er·wauled, cat·er·waul·ing, cat·er·wauls
    1. To cry or screech like a cat in heat.
    2. To make a shrill, discordant sound.
    3. To have a noisy argument.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was interesting to hear Kevin Costner say at Whitney's funeral that "I Will Always Love You" wasn't supposed to be in the movie. Instead, the 'powers that be' wanted "What Becomes Of The Broken Hearted".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Was she? Really?

Now i'm just your average Whitney "fan" - i like some of her stuff but never bought an album, so trust me i'm not getting all defensive....... but Catawauling????????
    Are you sure?

Dictionary definition:
    cat·er·wauled, cat·er·waul·ing, cat·er·wauls
    1. To cry or screech like a cat in heat.
    2. To make a shrill, discordant sound.
    3. To have a noisy argument.

I say that as a compliment! Embracing negativity! But seriously, everyone has different opinions, what I see as great singing, I.e Whitney others see as over-singing and showing off, shouting and screaming.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    M.D.N.A wrote: »
    I want to see it, i've seen bits of it as my mum had it on video when I was a kid, but I wasn't interested. I am now though, also love the soundtrack.

its on tonight on itv 2..check out the time but i think its 10.45 ish :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Orangemaid wrote: »
    its on tonight on itv 2..check out the time but i think its 10.45 ish :)

It's always on one of the ITV channels ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It's always on one of the ITV channels ;)

lol..more so now too :p

i dont mind watching Kevin Costner every day if i could :D:o
  • Options
    VoodooChicVoodooChic Posts: 9,868
    Forum Member
    I saw it once in when the video was released - I bought it because of Whitney. Fast forward 18 years and I watched it for the 2nd time. MY GOD what an appalling excuse for a film. Love you Whitney but you can't act - well you couldn't in this "Frank!!!" "Frank!!!!!!"
  • Options
    Shazla09Shazla09 Posts: 29,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Orangemaid wrote: »
    lol..more so now too :p

i dont mind watching Kevin Costner every day if i could :D:o

no way out - a good film
  • Options
    Forum Member
    sw2963 wrote: »
    no way out - a good film

oh i agree..i still have it on my recorder planner..i watch it now and again
  • Options
    TheshaneTheshane Posts: 1,815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Bodyguard is rotten. Whitney was no actress. In fact she's stiffer in this than she was in her coffin and that's saying something.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    VoodooChic wrote: »
    I saw it once in when the video was released - I bought it because of Whitney. Fast forward 18 years and I watched it for the 2nd time. MY GOD what an appalling excuse for a film. Love you Whitney but you can't act - well you couldn't in this "Frank!!!" "Frank!!!!!!"

To be fair she was playing herself in that film wasnt she :p
  • Options
    BumbleSquatBumbleSquat Posts: 7,176
    Forum Member
    Whitney played a diva-ish singer/actress called Rachel Marron. It was hardly going to be a stretch for her! Having said that though, she is playing a character who's playing a character in a sense. So I guess it sort of makes sense that her delivery does sometimes seem a tad unnatural.

I haven't seen her roles in Waiting to Exhale or The Preacher's Wife to really judge her fairly though.
  • Options
    MissDexterMissDexter Posts: 1,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saw about 10 minutes of this last night - and that was 10 minutes too much. A great example of 90s crap.
    I lol'd at the bit when Whitney spots Kevin watching one of her pop videos at night - it's so obviously not Kevin Costner in the long shots, just some stand in.

And Gary Kemp is in it!!!!!!!! Obviously riding on the success of The Krays.