George Michael

muppeteermuppeteer Posts: 3,350
Forum Member
✭✭✭
From todays DM...

"Geri had hoped that her friend, the singer George Michael, might give her away. But the troubled former Wham! frontman hasn’t been seen in public for 18 months, and although his people insist that he is in ‘good form’, others claim that he never leaves his home in Highgate, North London. Certainly the local Italian restaurants which used to welcome him regularly report that he hasn’t crossed their thresholds in a long time."

What is up with him? I love George as a person and singer and would love to see him back? I recall a thread about this some time ago that suggested there is something not quite right that the papers hint at occasionally... above an example?

Comments

• DiamondDollDiamondDoll Posts: 21,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love love love GM.

Hope he is ok.:(
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    What do you mean 'above an example'?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I think the poster was referring to the article about GM not being seen in places he used to go to. After posting her/his own thoughts about it then pointed to the "above example" ^^^ - the quote, as perhaps something is wrong.:)
  • spaceygalspaceygal Posts: 3,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope he's ok. I love George Michael.
  • donna255donna255 Posts: 10,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Poor George, damned if he is out and about looking ill or overweight. But damned if he decided F*uck the paps I want a quiet life.

DM etc have been hinting like hell for the past few years along the lines of George has what Freddie has. We did have a long thread on this last year, some thought perhaps and others thinking muck raking and untrue.

The last few times he was seen out and about, he did not look well. Could be mental health problems from the drugs or a physical illness. I will say there is an injunction somewhere stopping the press coming out with whatever it is.
  • BellagioBellagio Posts: 3,249
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Even if - IF - he has AIDS, the treatment and prognosis these days is utterly different compared with 24 years ago: huge steps have been made in treatment and medications. Probably just back on the waccy baccy.
  • viva.espanaviva.espana Posts: 8,500
    Forum Member

The quoted paragraph is filled with sly, prurient innuendo trying to pass itself off as concern for GM.

Hope he's ok. He does have a history of depression...
  • uniqueunique Posts: 12,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    maybe he's been going to the chinese resturaunts instead?

whilst pizza is the greatest food ever created, sometimes you want to try something different

he's supposedly working on his new album anyway
  • Safi74Safi74 Posts: 5,580
    Forum Member
    Bellagio wrote: »
    Probably just back on the waccy baccy.

Well even if he is, why would that stop him being out and about? It's never stopped him before.

He apparently struggled a great deal after nearly dying, so maybe he is still battling to get over that.

Or maybe he's just had enough of people being so damn judgemental about him.

George is an incredible talent and has given huge amounts of pleasure to millions of people world wide. As someone who has been lucky enough to see him live several times, there is no one better. His voice actually sounds better live than when recorded.

I would love to see more of George, I really would. But if he feels that he wants to be away from the limelight, who can blame him?

I just hope it's not something medical that is keeping him down. That would be a terrible thing to happen.

Many people still love George, me included. I just wish him a long and happy life.
  • The PrumeisterThe Prumeister Posts: 22,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Safi74 wrote: »
    Well even if he is, why would that stop him being out and about? It's never stopped him before.

He apparently struggled a great deal after nearly dying, so maybe he is still battling to get over that.

Or maybe he's just had enough of people being so damn judgemental about him.

George is an incredible talent and has given huge amounts of pleasure to millions of people world wide. As someone who has been lucky enough to see him live several times, there is no one better. His voice actually sounds better live than when recorded.

I would love to see more of George, I really would. But if he feels that he wants to be away from the limelight, who can blame him?

I just hope it's not something medical that is keeping him down. That would be a terrible thing to happen.

Many people still love George, me included. I just wish him a long and happy life.

Lovely sentiment and completely agree.
  • twellstwells Posts: 1,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The quoted paragraph is filled with sly, prurient innuendo trying to pass itself off as concern for GM.

Hope he's ok. He does have a history of depression...

He also has a history of major drug use and gay sex, when it was still illegal, and he was sometimes arrested for it by the police. His manager had to bail him out and has spoken about it.. Gay sex, in those pre-Aids awareness days, was often unprotected and with casual strangers, so he could have picked up anything. Life is much easier and more normal for gays now.
  • Blue Eyed ladyBlue Eyed lady Posts: 6,007
    Forum Member
    twells wrote: »
    He also has a history of major drug use and gay sex, when it was still illegal, and he was sometimes arrested for it by the police. His manager had to bail him out and has spoken about it.. Gay sex, in those pre-Aids awareness days, was often unprotected and with casual strangers, so he could have picked up anything. Life is much easier and more normal for gays now.

What does "gay sex" have to do with the possibility of him suffering with depression?

Also it was 1967 or thereabouts when the decriminalisation of homosexuality came about so being arrested had nothing to do with who he was having sex with, it was the fact he committed some form of sex act in a public place.

Where has the AIDS rumour stemmed from? I'm not a George Michael fan, therefore I don't know much about him but I do know he's spoken publically about his battle with depression so this could be the reason for him being out of the limelight, who knows but either way, I wish him well.
  • duffsdadduffsdad Posts: 11,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My own guess is he struggles with mental health issues and has become a bit of a recluse.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    This was last year ( July)
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2707283/Self-conscious-George-Michael-shuts-world-following-mystery-illness-say-close-friends.html

i didn't know about his fall from car incident :( He is good singer/ entertainer..Hope he is ok
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,182
    Forum Member
    Maybe he is just living a very normal life with his boyfriend and pets? The fact people are speculating over his HIV status is disgusting to me. You can live a very healthy (probably healthier than someone without HIV) life and a long life too. Not a life behind closed doors, as if it's something to be ashamed of. No wonder he stays indoors if we as gay men are looked at with this prejudiced glare if we're not towing the hetero-centric line.

Leave him the f**k alone!
  • Rubbish NameRubbish Name Posts: 619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Several of the nasty gossip sites hint around the fact he had pneumonia as though that's a certain link with HIV. I guess that's where it came from?
    I lve George and hope he's well and gets recording again soon
  • djfunnymandjfunnyman Posts: 12,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    duffsdad wrote: »
    My own guess is he struggles with mental health issues and has become a bit of a recluse.

I know George has struggled with such issues before, so this would make the most sense. I hope he doesn't have AIDS
  • CFCJM1CFCJM1 Posts: 2,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The guy is so incredibly talented - one of our greatest singer songwriters - but another creative genius who is so tragically cursed with mental health problems.

He just never seems totally comfortable in his own skin or happy with himself. Why are such talented people so often so unable to love themselves in the way the public do.

I would love to see him make a comeback - if or when the time is right - for him.
  • BatanyaBatanya Posts: 378
    Forum Member
    I'm not surprised that he won't set foot outside his front door if Geri Halliwell is lurking there, waiting to spring the "best friend" trap and expecting him to attend her wedding.

She knows full well that a genuine celeb at her tacky wedfest will raise her fee from "Hello" or "OK"...I don't blame GM for lying low!
  • CFCJM1CFCJM1 Posts: 2,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Batanya wrote: »
    I'm not surprised that he won't set foot outside his front door if Geri Halliwell is lurking there, waiting to spring the "best friend" trap and expecting him to attend her wedding.

She knows full well that a genuine celeb at her tacky wedfest will raise her fee from "Hello" or "OK"...I don't blame GM for lying low!

I imagine Robbie Williams is suddenly "defrosting his freezer" for the next six months too.
  • EuanMebabeEuanMebabe Posts: 1,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CFCJM1 wrote: »
    I imagine Robbie Williams is suddenly "defrosting his freezer" for the next six months too.

:D:D:D
  • mgbstagmgbstag Posts: 928
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why do people worry about someone they have never met, and probably never will, yet cant be bothered with people they know i.e Family and friends. I just dont get people who are obsessed with celebrity.

Leave the bloke alone let him live his life how he wants.
  • dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Or been abducted by aliens....he's into that kind of thing, bless him :D!
  • GracieLGracieL Posts: 4,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It could be a number things - depression, HIV, recluse etc but we are all just speculating from gutter press, for all we know he may just want to lead a private life now he has made his millions.
  • BatanyaBatanya Posts: 378
    Forum Member

And Posh will no doubt be "washing her hair" on that day....;-)