Making a complaint - Tesco

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,418
Forum Member
I was looking for some advice, as I've never complained to a shop before.

Would it be best to write or call, and to head office or the manager of the store in question?
Also, how would I find out the name of the manager?

I feel so annoyed about the attitude of the staff in this particular store. Several times I've heard them making snide comments about customers as soon as they're out of ear shot, ranging from comments about a customer's appearance, to what they're buying, to making fun of customers with disabilities.

Today was the final straw. I took my sister with me to pick up some shopping, she has learning difficulties (it's not difficult to tell) and she decided to buy herself a couple of items, I let her queue in front of me so I could see if she needed any help. The lady served her with no problems, and just as she was walking away from the till to wait for me, I heard the lady turn to the lad next to her and say "oh my god, did you see that retarded girl? she bought a kiddies magazine, f**king weirdo, hahaha".
My heart jumped in my mouth, I am no good at confrontation, it made me want to burst in to tears. She obviously didn't realise we were together, but was happy for all the customers to hear her comments. I dumped my shopping basket on the floor in the queue, glared at her, and walked out as fast as I could.

I could maybe understand if it was a bunch of teenagers, but most of the staff in there are mid-40's, maybe more. The lad is the youngest one in there I think, he's at least 25.

I'm still really upset about it. My sister wouldn't hurt a fly, she's the sweetest person you could ever hope to meet, and you get ignorant ****'s like that who just want to poke fun :(

Sorry, it turned in to a bit of a rant there :o Any advice on what to do? I'm not confident enough to walk back in there (I'm certainly never shopping in there again), but I feel like I need to say something. I don't want them getting away with it. I'm not sure of the best course of action.

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,204
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Email head office. Should be easy enough to find address at head office.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 233
    Forum Member
    I would march up there, right now and demand to speak to the Manager. See what comes of that, and then follow it up with a letter to him. Maybe try to find out if there is an area manager and send him a copy of the letter too.

To be honest, it's your word against hers (unless there are any witnesses) so technically he may not be able to do anything about it but I would kick up a stink anway, just to make a point.
  • alfiewozerealfiewozere Posts: 29,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's disgusting, how dare anyone comment on ANY customer, least of all your sister?:eek: Put a complaint in writing to both the manager of the store and to the head office immediately - people in customer service should NOT behave like that, they shouldn't be working with the general public. I'm appalled and saddened that there are such vile people around.:(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,418
    Forum Member
    Thank you, I will try emailing first, see how it goes.

I would love to be one of those people who could march up there and create a scene, but I'm really shy, I'd probably faint before I said a word!
    If I tell my Mum she'd happily march up there all guns blazing, though I'm worried it would cause more problems than solve, especially as she wasn't there at the time.
  • madnesmadnes Posts: 1,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    not_orange wrote: »
    Email head office. Should be easy enough to find address at head office.

http://www.connectotel.com/marcus/ceoemail.html

Scroll down and email the top dog him self. It wont get to him but should be passed to somebody at a senior level.
    Forum Member
    madnes wrote: »
    http://www.connectotel.com/marcus/ceoemail.html

Scroll down and email the top dog him self. It wont get to him but should be passed to somebody at a senior level.

Excellent, thanks very much. I'm composing it now, while I'm still angry - helps to get the point across!

- I agree, they shouldn't talk about any customer that way. I have worked in retail before, even if I hadn't, I don't think it would enter my head to be so judgemental and small minded. It's so upsetting. Thankfully my sister didn't hear.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 378
    Forum Member
    That's disgusting, how dare anyone comment on ANY customer, least of all your sister?:eek: Put a complaint in writing to both the manager of the store and to the head office immediately - people in customer service should NOT behave like that, they shouldn't be working with the general public. I'm appalled and saddened that there are such vile people around.:(

I feel the same. It's awful they did that.

Written complaints may be taken more seriously.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    this is their head office if you want to write or phone someone:
    Tesco House, Delamare Road, Cheshunt, Herts. EN89SL Telephone 0845 7225533, 9am to 8pm Monday to Saturday
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    summerain wrote: »
    Excellent, thanks very much. I'm composing it now, while I'm still angry - helps to get the point across!

- I agree, they shouldn't talk about any customer that way. I have worked in retail before, even if I hadn't, I don't think it would enter my head to be so judgemental and small minded. It's so upsetting. Thankfully my sister didn't hear.
    Do it while you're still angry, you need to be your sister's advocate here. Let us know what response you get.
    Forum Member
    Do it while you're still angry, you need to be your sister's advocate here. Let us know what response you get.

I will update if/when I hear something back. I'm going to print a copy and post it too, just to make sure.

Thanks again for the advice. I got home and I was pacing up and down, I couldn't figure what to do I was so angry!
  • cleo petracleo petra Posts: 984
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What a couple of evil and immature people. That's disgusting. Tesco come across as a good organisation, I hope you give them what for.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I will update if/when I hear something back. I'm going to print a copy and post it too, just to make sure.

Thanks again for the advice. I got home and I was pacing up and down, I couldn't figure what to do I was so angry!
    I'm not surprised, your post made me SO angry on your behalf. I used to work with students with learning disabilities and some of the general public were absolutely hateful - though most were lovely and empathic. It's generally the thick as pigsh!t people who think it's ok to mock. It is sickening and I hope Tesco do something about staff attitudes - they really pride themselves on their quality employees on their website:(
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    I am sorry to hear shop staff have been making obnoxious comments about your sister.

In the old days this would be a sackable offence.

I would complain to the Manager.

If it happens again, I would tape the conversations next time using a digital recorder and then take them to the Manager.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,565
    Forum Member
    If you dont get a satisfactory response call the SUN newspaper or the Dail Mail. They love stories like this and Tesco will treat the matter seriously.
    I think they will anyway to be honest as they wont dare let this sort of thing happen and possibly reach the press etc.
    Keep your sisters reciept by the way as that will identify the till and staff member.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,259
    Forum Member
    Thats totally disgusting.....what is wrong with people these days. The person I am, I would of had a go there and then, but I can totally understand you not wanting to make a scene ect. You really should complain, this behaviour cannot be tolerated, its so disrespectful. Did you happen to see this persons namebadge or anything, so you could make the complaint specifically about this one person.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I to would like to hear what they have to say. I was raging when I seen your 1st post.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Duplicate...
  • teresagreenteresagreen Posts: 16,444
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am so sorry you had to go through that. What kind of people are they who would make such comments? Can you remember the numer of the till you were at or do you have the receipt from the magazine? This should tell the manager who was on the till at the time. I hope you are successful with your complaint. Something tells me you will be treated with due respect from Head Office.
  • teresagreenteresagreen Posts: 16,444
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    madnes wrote: »
    I to would like to hear what they have to say. I was raging when I seen your 1st post.

I second that. Would you let us know what the outcome is please?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,481
    Forum Member
    I do hope your sister didn't hear the comments.
    What a bunch of ignorant sods.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was just telling my hubby this, its bloody outrageous, anyway he said emailing the big boss was a great idea cos someone important will get to look at it, also if your sister has her till receipt it will have the operators number on it so they can identify the person who served her.

Good for you for standing up for yourself and her. I wouldn't have gone and complained at the time either as i think i'd have been so incensed they've have ended up banning me from the store, i've heard our local Tesco is very good at that!

Let us know how you get on.
  • chocoholic100chocoholic100 Posts: 6,411
    Forum Member
    good thinking about keeping the reciept as it will have her name or at least her till/staff number

Im outraged at this OP, push it all the way

please let us know how it goes :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a unprofessional and childish comment from the cashier - sadly it's not the first time I've heard this happen about someone's disability. You should definetely complain to management and the cashier should should be disciplined, and told that her behaviour is NOT acceptable.
  • That BlokeThat Bloke Posts: 6,352
    Forum Member
    I would certainly complain about the behaviour - it's despicable. As has been said, make sure you include the time, till number and operator id on the complaint as well.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,129
    Forum Member
    Oh my god, that is truly terrible! I work on the checkouts at Tesco myself, and I would not dare talk about a customer like that, especially making explicit reference to them. I mean if I have a customer that is horrible to me, I will often maybe make a joke about it with the next customer or a later customer but they usually start the joke off anyway. However what that person did was truly uncalled for, as checkout staff we should just accept whatever people buy and not question or query it, unless we deem the sale to be illegal, such as selling alcohol to a minor. Yes, definately complain to the manager at that particular Tesco, making sure you tell them this person's name.