Options

Uninsured Drivers

mackaramackara Posts: 4,063
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Should the honest people who do pay their car insurance be liable to cover the uninsured drivers, should be be forced as we are to pay a hidden amount of our insurance costs towards drivers who are not insured nor feel the need to be. Should a contribution towards uninsured drivers be voluntary or forced upon us as it now is?
I would like to pay for my own insurance not for the damage someone else causes and would like to see exactly how much I am actually paying when I get an insurance quote and be able to opt out of paying for someone elses lack of insurance if I wanted to.

Comments

• Options
    JB3JB3 Posts: 9,308
    Forum Member
    I don't really see how you could do it.

We are all at danger of being hit, mashed up by uninsured drivers.

I think I maybe missing the point.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JB3 wrote: »
    I don't really see how you could do it.

We are all at danger of being hit, mashed up by uninsured drivers.

I think I maybe missing the point.

I mean why should we pay for someone else who just cannot be bothered, I would like to know why it is forced upon us which seems unfair, I would like to know why I have to pay and who decides it has to be paid against my wishes.
  • Options
    jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    uninsured drivers shouldn't be driving
  • Options
    tealadytealady Posts: 26,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In what way are you paying for the damage someone else causes?
    Why is it different to criminal compensation or any other compensation from public bodies?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tealady wrote: »
    In what way are you paying for the damage someone else causes?
    Why is it different to criminal compensation or any other compensation from public bodies?

Everyone who pays car insurance pays a percentage of their premium into a government fund that pays for the damage that uninsured drivers cause, this is rarely shown on renewal quotes and is forced upon us, surely the uninsured drivers should pay out of their own pocket for the damage and injury they cause.
  • Options
    Hobbit FeetHobbit Feet Posts: 18,798
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You wouldn't say that if your car was written off and your passengers injured by an uninsured driver then you were expected to chase somebody without a pot to piss in for the monies due.

Nobody likes it but we have to just suck it up
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You wouldn't say that if your car was written off and your passengers injured by an uninsured driver then you were expected to chase somebody without a pot to piss in for the monies due.

Nobody likes it but we have to just suck it up

I would like to have the option of paying the hidden extra, not have it forced onto me. Surely the authorities could spend their time better enforcing the rules onto the guilty parties instead of forcing honest drivers to pay their bills.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mackara wrote: »
    surely the uninsured drivers should pay out of their own pocket for the damage and injury they cause.
    I guess if they are uninsured ,they won't have much in the way of assets, so how would you get compensation without it?
    I suppose I see it as part of the general insurance concept of spreading the burden across a wide pool. A bit like everyone paying more for a product to cover bad debts or theft.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tealady wrote: »
    I guess if they are uninsured ,they won't have much in the way of assets, so how would you get compensation without it?
    I suppose I see it as part of the general insurance concept of spreading the burden across a wide pool. A bit like everyone paying more for a product to cover bad debts or theft.

I do see what you mean but have you ever looked at your insurance renewal quote and found a section listed MIB contribution to which we all pay an average of 40 pounds, I have never seen the MIB section yet on a renewal or quote. Seems to me that the government has passed the cost onto other honest drivers instead of tackling the problem head on which sends out a message that you can cause damage and injury with your uninsured car and that other people have to pay for it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seems to me that the government has passed the cost onto other honest drivers instead of tackling the problem head on which sends out a message that you can cause damage and injury with your uninsured car and that other people have to pay for it.
    I looked on the MIB site. Says it has been going since 1946. The rest of the figures are a bit dated - 2006 it cost 19M to run and paid out 356M, so I'd have to agree the government should be doing more to reduce the uninsured problem.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 137
    Forum Member
    I don't drive myself but I never realised drivers had to make this contribution! An uninsured driver knocked my brother down and killed him we were given £6000 I guess that's where that money came from. Going off topic the driver who did stop at the accident later moved house and never give the police his new address and has never been caught since and so the only the only punishment for my brother's death was paid by good descent people who are forced to pay this money.
  • Options
    R410R410 Posts: 2,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Car insurance is a con anyway. Paying companies £100s each year for something that may never be needed, and when it is needed they try their hardest to get out of paying out.
    Oh and this is someone who cannot and does not drive.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    R410 wrote: »
    Car insurance is a con anyway. Paying companies £100s each year for something that may never be needed, and when it is needed they try their hardest to get out of paying out.
    Oh and this is someone who cannot and does not drive.

I'm with LV and had an accident a few years ago, £6.5k damage. It was settled and repaired with just a few phone calls. I lost 2 years NCD.

I think it all depends on who you are insured with.
  • Options
    R410R410 Posts: 2,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    woodbush wrote: »
    I'm with LV and had an accident a few years ago, £6.5k damage. It was settled and repaired with just a few phone calls. I lost 2 years NCD.

I think it all depends on who you are insured with.
    Ouch! 6.5k, what the heck happened?
  • Options
    Gordie1Gordie1 Posts: 6,993
    Forum Member
    MaidyC wrote: »
    I don't drive myself but I never realised drivers had to make this contribution! An uninsured driver knocked my brother down and killed him we were given £6000 I guess that's where that money came from. Going off topic the driver who did stop at the accident later moved house and never give the police his new address and has never been caught since and so the only the only punishment for my brother's death was paid by good descent people who are forced to pay this money.
    that wouldn't be an insurance company payment, that was probably criminal injuries compensation paid from the government.

Werther the driver was insured or not, you would have got that money.
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    I mean why should we pay for someone else who just cannot be bothered, I would like to know why it is forced upon us which seems unfair, I would like to know why I have to pay and who decides it has to be paid against my wishes.

I think the first reply already answers your question.

The amount you pay towards underwriting uninsured drivers is part of a "communal pot" which you'll get the benefit of if you are ever hit by an uninsured driver.

I suppose you could opt out but what happens when you save yourself £5 a year and then your car gets written off by an uninsured driver?
    Are you going to just shrug your shoulders and accept it as the luck of the draw?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    R410 wrote: »
    Ouch! 6.5k, what the heck happened?

Have a look at the thread:)

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1185224&highlight=
  • Options
    thomas painthomas pain Posts: 2,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mandatory car insurance is just wrong. government shouldn't be forcing people to buy insurance.
  • Options
    seanfseanf Posts: 3,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mandatory car insurance is just wrong. government shouldn't be forcing people to buy insurance.

Am I missing something are you saying its ok to drive without insurance?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,219
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Britain should take their cars away.

Saudi would take their hands away.

That would stop them.
  • Options
    roddydogsroddydogs Posts: 10,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When the Fixed penalty is only a paltry £200, is it any wonder that so many take a chance when to insure would cost £ Thousands?
  • Options
    tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    MEW TOWN wrote: »
    Britain should take their cars away.

Saudi would take their hands away.

That would stop them.

That stops them after they have have wrote someones car off and killed someone
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    roddydogs wrote: »
    When the Fixed penalty is only a paltry £200, is it any wonder that so many take a chance when to insure would cost £ Thousands?

It's not just that though, is it?

If you're stopped for having no insurance then your car is impounded and you have to pay to get it back as well as paying the fine.

Trouble is, of course, with insurance as high as it currently is (due to all the injury claims) it's still cheaper for people to just drive around in a £1,500 car with no insurance until they get caught and then just accept the fine and loss of the vehicle.
  • Options
    Rowan HedgeRowan Hedge Posts: 3,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    seanf wrote: »
    Am I missing something are you saying its ok to drive without insurance?

No type of insurance should be compulsory, it should be the individuals right to decide if its for them or not. If people want to be uninsured then that's fine as long as they accept the financial costs if they have an accident.
  • Options
    tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    No type of insurance should be compulsory, it should be the individuals right to decide if its for them or not. If people want to be uninsured then that's fine as long as they accept the financial costs if they have an accident.

That would never work