Blue Ray

Any one know when blue ray recorders will be on sale?

Comments

• Dan27Dan27 Posts: 9,652
    Forum Member
    Not for a while yet, there are recorders for sale in Japan but not all the next gen DVD standards have really been solidified.

The first taste of BluRay we will have will be when the PS3 comes out next year with a BR-DVD rom drive.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25
    Forum Member
    I was reading about Blue Ray the other day
    Sony was saying a developing a 60GB DVD how is this possible and if so when they do release it, it will cost a bomb to buy
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36
    Forum Member
    The 60 GB DVD could be a multi-layer Disk, with around 3 layers to satisfy this. TDK are developing disks with around 8 layers, sporting a 200 GB capacity. This is all really for HDTV. Expect mainstream HDTV broadcasting in the UK at the next Ice-Age. :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They use blue lasers that have a smaller wavelength, so they can fit more data onto it.

e.g.
    standard laser disk(20 bits)(~=1, .=0):
    ~..~....~~.~~.~.~.~.
    blueray laser(20 bits)(-=1, .=0):
    -..-.--.---..-.--.-.

uses less space

also multi layer
  • camajcamaj Posts: 817
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's Blu-ray not Blueray or Blue ray BTW

PC drives are due in Sept 05 and STB's are due in the winter. PS3 won't be out until spring but are expected to be cheaper than the STB's but more expensive than the PC drives.

Capacities are 25GB, 50GB, 100 GB and 200GB (8 layers) The first two are expected at launch or close and 100GB in 2007
  • phelingsphelings Posts: 3,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And any or all of these could be delayed if the currently suspended talks between Blu-Ray and HD-DVD companies get back on track.
    It seems common sense for the manufacturers to avoid a format war.
    If they press ahead with 2 competing formats then either one will take years to catch on and not be the immediate success that DVD was
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 185
    Forum Member
    i cant see sony junking bluray...i think the HD take up will be a lot slower than dvd takeup, perhaps giving sony the edge as people will buy ps3s as gaming platforms then exploit its hd capability rather than risking an outlay on a nextgen hd/br dvd player for that sole purpose.

if sony are confident in their format (and considerable partners have signed up) then i think they will continue to push it. The other 2 consoles lacking HD-DVD drives will perhaps let sony grab more market share than if they were to launch with HD.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,487
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    phelings wrote:
    If they press ahead with 2 competing formats then either one will take years to catch on and not be the immediate success that DVD was

Well look at DVD+R and DVD-R formats - both are still competing in the markets yet the solution seems to be multi-format drives - I'm sure the exact same will happen should the Blu-Ray vs HD-DVD war turn ugly.

I'd imagine the new Blu-Ray recorders will be horrific prices!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have to disagree.+ and - is not comparable to BR and HDDVD.For a start prerecorded software is a universal format that will play on all dvd recorders.Currently,software companies are supporting either BR or HDDVD,and either format is incompatible for playback on the other.
    Players will come before recorders and while + and - are different,they are largely interchangeable for playback on most players and even competing format recorders.
    While BR does seem to have the edge in terms of companies supporting it,HDDVD release plans in the UK are way in front of BR.
    They say there will be an HDDVD machine out later this year,while BR is middle of 2006 at the earliest.
    The simple fact that there will be 2 formats competing for playback machines,and if you support one you will have access to 50% of Hollywood product denied will leave consumers(apart from us early adopting gadget freaks)uninterested in either.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Uran wrote:
    The 60 GB DVD could be a multi-layer Disk, with around 3 layers to satisfy this. TDK are developing disks with around 8 layers, sporting a 200 GB capacity. This is all really for HDTV. Expect mainstream HDTV broadcasting in the UK at the next Ice-Age. :(

There are already HD braodcasts in the UK, and Sky start next year.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saw a Blu-Ray DVD player feeding a 60" LCD yesterday - was very nice!

You can buy Blu-Ray DVD players on ebay (even though they haven't been officially released) and Upconverting DVD players are available from the US.
  • Dan27Dan27 Posts: 9,652
    Forum Member
    Upconverting DVD players are available from the UK. Got me a Samsung 745 connected to my LCD via DVI :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Geordie_Cy wrote:
    There are already HD braodcasts in the UK, and Sky start next year.
    The only HD broadcasts are from the Euro 1080(or whatever their latest title is)channels,and AFAIK there is no equipment available to record them in their HD quality currently
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    phelings wrote:
    The only HD broadcasts are from the Euro 1080(or whatever their latest title is)channels,and AFAIK there is no equipment available to record them in their HD quality currently

You can use a PC solution which would allow you to record the digital bitstream directly but of course at this stage you are still restricted to playing them back via PC.