Problems With Philips VCR / DVD Combi

At the start of the year I bought a Philips combined VCR and DVD player. Worked fine for ages, but recently, it doesn't hold the settings like the time and other screen settings, and when I record something from Sky, there is no sound. I have checked SCART cables and I'm still getting problems so it must be the unit itself.

It was purchased from Argos at the start of the year, but I no longer have the box for it. God only knows where the receipt for it is. What can I do? Am I entitled to a new one from Argos, even if I can't find the box?

Padzter :D

Comments

• GaryBGaryB Posts: 4,259
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As long as you have the receipt you are entitled to a free repair under guarantee. If you definitely can't find it, a credit card statement will usually be sufficient proof for most retailers. If you can't find either you may have trouble.
  • pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I purchased it on my Argos store card, could that be used as proof?

Padzter :D
  • GaryBGaryB Posts: 4,259
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you've got the statement showing when you bought it that should be OK. Something like that would certainly be sufficient proof for most retailers.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 324
    Forum Member
    Even if you havent got a record, the store will have it filed somewhere, so you shouldn't have any problem.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    i have bought philips vcr+dvd 630 vr-05 . I have got philips intergrated digital tv , connected up but cannot record from the digital freeview . do not know what to do.
  • John CurrieJohn Currie Posts: 2,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cyberdog wrote:
    Even if you havent got a record, the store will have it filed somewhere, so you shouldn't have any problem.

Not necessarily.........I know 2 people who had bought a TV from Argos one whose under a year old TV-DVD went faulty.......they couldn't find their receipt or credit-card statement and Argos refused to entertain a repair telling them the onus was on them to provide proof of purchase.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    paulsss wrote:
    i have bought philips vcr+dvd 630 vr-05 . I have got philips intergrated digital tv , connected up but cannot record from the digital freeview . do not know what to do.
    Connect VCR in/out scart (AV2 if you have 2 scarts) to the TV AV1 scart.
    Connect external aerial into TV RF in, then TV RF out to VCR RF in.
    Set VCR to autotune to pick up terrestrial channels.
    To record terrestrial set VCR to channel 1,2,3,4 etc.
    To record digital (from the TV) set VCR to AV2.
    To play VCR just press play and TV will switch to VCR - some TVs require you to press the appropriate AV button.
    I'm not sure if the TV has to be on for the signal to be passed out of the AV1 scart - try and see.

Rgds,
    Scorp