How to connect 5.1 Theatre System to a TV (for sound)

Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,524
Forum Member
✭✭✭✭
My friend went out and bought a new home theatre system and a TV.

I have never heard of them.

RCA 5.1 Home Theatre System (Asda I think)
Celcus LCD40S913FHD TV

She's having trouble connecting the theatre system to the TV (so that the 5.1 sound works when she's watching TV) The HDMI lead does a great job with the DVD, but it stops there.

I tried for ages using Scart (no joy), Component leads (triple phono) (nothing came through) I also took a double phono lead and used the AUX set up, but again nothing.

I thought about using the digital optical input, but the TV has no such socket (the theatre system does)

Why is this so difficult? On my Sharp TV and Sharp cinema I just plugged a phono lead in and it worked straight away.

Does anyone know what leads I should use please? It seems a little strange to have this system, but can not use it to watch TV.

Looking around the net, it seems this problem exists with many far better makes too.

Thank you for any help. :)

Comments

• Chasing ShadowsChasing Shadows Posts: 3,096
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She won't get 5.1 out from the TV - unless its got Freeview HD or Freesat HD built into it, and even then its no guarantee. Even if the TV was capable of outputting a 5.1 surround soundtrack on high def channels, its very very unlikely that an Asda home theatre system would provide an adequate input to connect the TV to.

As neither the home theatre nor TV are "name" brands, she's unlikely to be able to do this with her current kit.
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Basically you need some form of AUDIO OUT socket(s) on the TV and a compatible set of AUDIO IN sockets on the Home Cinema system.

So if the TV has a pair of stereo phono sockets labelled AUDIO OUT or a headphone jack and the Home Cinema has a pair of phono AUDIO (AUX or LINE) IN sockets then with a suitable lead you should get some noise out of the telly.

Similarly if the TV had a Digital OUT and the Home Cinema has Digital IN then you are also in business. NB it doesn't matter if one has coaxial digital on a phono socket and the other has optical digital as you can easily convert one to the other.

But the trouble with this cheap no-name kit is that very often it has next to zero options for connecting external kit.
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,524
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thank you both.:):)

I think she'll have to do without.
    I have the manuals. Can anybody tell from these if it's possible. I don't mind buying her the cables.

TV
    Back Connectors
    SCART 1
    SCART 2
    Component Video Inputs (Y,Pb,Pr)
    PC(YPbPr) Audio Inputs
    Subwoofer Out
    S/PDIF Coaxial Out
    RF Input
    PC Input
    HDMI Inputs (x3)

Side Connectors
    CI Card Slot
    Side USB
    HDMI Input
    Headphone Jack
    Video In
    Audio Input (LR)

Cinema System
    Speaker Outputs (various)
    HDMI Socket
    SCART Socket
    Optical In
    Y/Pb/Pr Outputs
    AUX Right/Left Inputs
    Video Output
    FM Ant
    MW Loop Input
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are a couple of possibilities. One relies on one or other SCART socket on the TV being wired for output. If it is then a SCART to phono plug adapter plug or lead could be used to connect that socket to the AUX IN on the Home Cinema.

Another method would be to connect the TV Headphone out to the Home Cinema AUX IN. This method is the only one that would allow the TV remote to control the volume. It would however mute the TV speakers (assuming standard wiring of the socket). Which might be a problem if the intention is to only use the Home Cinema occasionally and use the TV speakers part or most of the time.

The other alternative is to use the digital out on the TV to the digital in on the Home Cinema. As I posted above that fact the TV is coaxial and the Home Cinema optical is trivial. Just use a converter such as this.

http://cpc.farnell.com/unbranded/pof-820/coax-to-optical-adaptor/dp/AV12736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    chrisjr wrote: »
    There are a couple of possibilities. One relies on one or other SCART socket on the TV being wired for output. If it is then a SCART to phono plug adapter plug or lead could be used to connect that socket to the AUX IN on the Home Cinema.

Another method would be to connect the TV Headphone out to the Home Cinema AUX IN. This method is the only one that would allow the TV remote to control the volume. It would however mute the TV speakers (assuming standard wiring of the socket). Which might be a problem if the intention is to only use the Home Cinema occasionally and use the TV speakers part or most of the time.

The other alternative is to use the digital out on the TV to the digital in on the Home Cinema. As I posted above that fact the TV is coaxial and the Home Cinema optical is trivial. Just use a converter such as this.

http://cpc.farnell.com/unbranded/pof-820/coax-to-optical-adaptor/dp/AV12736

Many thanks Chris:)
    I shall purchase the following leads (I think they're the one's for your suggestions above)
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/StarTech-com-Stereo-Component-Cable-3-5mm/dp/B00009B59S/ref=sr_1_9?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1337638173&sr=1-9
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hama-Phono-SCART-connection-cable/dp/B00005KHWB/ref=sr_1_5?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1337638211&sr=1-5

I am not very clued up on this, hope these are the correct leads. I'll get the adaptor as well.

Thanks again for your help Chris. :)

Edit: I forgot to mention. She uses a Sky+HD box. Don't know if that makes things easier or not. Maybe it could be hooked up to that. These things are quite complicated. :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The SCART lead is the wrong way round for this use. It is wired for input relative to the SCART plug, you want one wired for output relative to the SCART. In any case you only need one lead of the two. The mini jack to phono will do the job so no need for the SCART.

The Sky box should have an optical digital output which should connect directly to the Home Cinema's optical input. If she only ever watches satellite and never uses the tuner in the telly then that will be possibly a better option. The digital connection is the only one that will carry full surround sound from those broadcasts that use it.

The SCART or headphone analogue connections only give you stereo. Or at best Dolby ProLogic. Whether the Home Cinema system can do anything with that is another matter. Any half way decent system should have a ProLogic decoder that can produce a surround effect from raw stereo or a better surround effect from ProLogic encoded material. Trouble is some cheap systems can be rather limited in that respect so always the chance it won't produce a surround effect from a stereo input.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    chrisjr wrote: »
    The SCART lead is the wrong way round for this use. It is wired for input relative to the SCART plug, you want one wired for output relative to the SCART. In any case you only need one lead of the two. The mini jack to phono will do the job so no need for the SCART.

The Sky box should have an optical digital output which should connect directly to the Home Cinema's optical input. If she only ever watches satellite and never uses the tuner in the telly then that will be possibly a better option. The digital connection is the only one that will carry full surround sound from those broadcasts that use it.

The SCART or headphone analogue connections only give you stereo. Or at best Dolby ProLogic. Whether the Home Cinema system can do anything with that is another matter. Any half way decent system should have a ProLogic decoder that can produce a surround effect from raw stereo or a better surround effect from ProLogic encoded material. Trouble is some cheap systems can be rather limited in that respect so always the chance it won't produce a surround effect from a stereo input.

Thank you again (you really know your stuff Chris):)

I'll forget the SCART lead and go with the optical digital output (yes the Sky box does have this)

I can't get this hooked up until the weekend (assuming the cable arrives by then)http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cable-Tex-Optical-digital-audio-TOSLink/dp/B002YUMTIU/ref=sr_1_7?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1337650327&sr=1-7 but I shall come back with the outcome.

Appreciate your help a lot Chris. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The optical cable worked. I set it up for her yesterday via her Sky+HD box.

Many many thanks chrisjr, you have been a great help to me (maybe now it's working she'll leave me in peace:eek:) Most appreciated, thank you. . :):)