Recommend an amp/receiver

I currently have a Denon AVR 1513 which is great and does everything I want really well. However, on thing that's annoying is that I can't watch Sky or play PS4 and listen to music through Apple TV at the same time. I can only receive the audio from the source that I have picture for on my TV.

Can anyone recommend an amp of similar spec that would let me get the picture from TV or PS4 but allow audio from a different source to come through?

My speakers are old but good so it needs to be able to take the bare speaker wires that just grip in the little catches & have a sub woofer input

Thanks 👍

Comments

• OMTTOMTT Posts: 5,459
    Forum Member
    Or, if anyone knows of a way I can do this with what I've got already, let me know!
  • grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OMTT wrote: »
    Or, if anyone knows of a way I can do this with what I've got already, let me know!

You ought to be able to watch say Sky in SD and listen to apple TV by connecting a Sky analogue output to say DVD in and connecting the Apple TV S/Pdif to TV in.

Then in the menu assign TV in optical to the DVD input. That should mean when you select DVD you see the Sky pictures and Apple TV audio. You can't select an alternate audio source for a HDMI input.
  • Deacon1972Deacon1972 Posts: 8,171
    Forum Member
    You ought to be able to watch say Sky in SD and listen to apple TV by connecting a Sky analogue output to say DVD in and connecting the Apple TV S/Pdif to TV in.

Then in the menu assign TV in optical to the DVD input. That should mean when you select DVD you see the Sky pictures and Apple TV audio. You can't select an alternate audio source for a HDMI input.

Couldn't they just connect the optical from Apple TV to the same input source as Sky and just toggle between optical and HDMI settings for the audio, providing the AVR1513 allows.

So for Sky picture and Apple audio the settings would be - Audio assign TV audio ( optical).

For normal Sky viewing -reset to the default setting.
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,611
    Forum Member
    I do something similar with my old Denon amp connecting one of my PVRs directly to its "VCR" analogue audio input (yes it is that old). So I can listen to it (mainly used for radio recordings) without needing the TV but can have the TV on if I wish using some other input device.
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deacon1972 wrote: »
    Couldn't they just connect the optical from Apple TV to the same input source as Sky and just toggle between optical and HDMI settings for the audio.

So for Sky picture and Apple audio the settings would be - Audio assign optical.

For normal Sky viewing - Audio assign HDMI.
    That looks like it may be possible.

The Input settings section of the manual on the Denon website explains what can and can't be done

http://assets.eu.denon.com/DocumentMaster/UK/AVR-1513E2_ENG_CD-ROM_v00.pdf

Pages 31 onwards.

You can assign an optical or coaxial digital input for each of the source selections and it also appears that you can switch audio sources using the Input Mode setting.

So you could assign the optical connection to the Cbl/Sat button along with he default HDMI source. Then use the Input Mode setting to toggle between Digital and HDMI audio depending on what you want to listen to while watching Sky for example.

It appears you can do that for any source. If you can then it may be possible to assign the optical digital input to all the source selections and toggle which ever one you fancy between the default HDMI audio and the optical input.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Couldn't they just connect the optical from Apple TV to the same input source as Sky and just toggle between optical and HDMI settings for the audio, providing the AVR1513 allows.

So for Sky picture and Apple audio the settings would be - Audio assign TV audio ( optical).

For normal Sky viewing -reset to the default setting.

You could but on my Denon AVR4306 the audio assignation setup options are buried deep within the setup menus. I was going for a one button solution.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chrisjr wrote: »
    That looks like it may be possible.

The Input settings section of the manual on the Denon website explains what can and can't be done

http://assets.eu.denon.com/DocumentMaster/UK/AVR-1513E2_ENG_CD-ROM_v00.pdf

Pages 31 onwards.

You can assign an optical or coaxial digital input for each of the source selections and it also appears that you can switch audio sources using the Input Mode setting.

So you could assign the optical connection to the Cbl/Sat button along with he default HDMI source. Then use the Input Mode setting to toggle between Digital and HDMI audio depending on what you want to listen to while watching Sky for example.

It appears you can do that for any source. If you can then it may be possible to assign the optical digital input to all the source selections and toggle which ever one you fancy between the default HDMI audio and the optical input.

You can only assign one audio input to one video input (at least on my Denon AVR4306). You can also select a audio input and then cycle through the available audio inputs but only for the analogue inputs.
    Forum Member
    You could but on my Denon AVR4306 the audio assignation setup options are buried deep within the setup menus. I was going for a one button soloution.
    The AVR1513 is very basic compared to the AVR4306 so there won't be as many button pushes, but it will still be more than one.

I was looking for an alternative where the OP could keep the PQ they have and didn't require installing additional cables.

Both suggestions will work so the OP has a couple of choices, at least they know they won't have to replace their current equipment.
    Forum Member
    I've found a potential solution:

I remembered that I had an old HDMI splitter, so I pluggd that directly into my sky box. I then put one HDMI into my receiver where my sky box was plugged in previously & another HDMI into a source on my TV. This potentially lets me view my Sky through my receiver with the sound from the sky box, or I can hit HDMI 2 and get Sky with no sound. This lets me select a different input on my receiver (my Apple TV) and I can play music from it whilst having Sky on via HDMI 2! If I want to watch Sky with the sound from Sky, I just change my TV to the output my receiver is plugged into and then change the input on my receiver to Sky. I'm going to get better splitters & another HDMI cable & do the same with my PS4 & plug that into HDMI 3 on my TV.

The problem I get though is the Sky Hd box gives me a message about HCDP or something like that & the Ps4 will only out put in 480p using the splitter so I need to find one capable of of this
    Forum Member
    You can only assign one audio input to one video input (at least on my Denon AVR4306). You can also select a audio input and then cycle through the available audio inputs but only for the analogue inputs.

I had an AVR3806 which allowed you to cycle through all digital inputs, you could select Optical 1, 2, 3, Coaxial 1, 2, and HDMI 1 and 2.

Surprised the AVR4306 doesn't.
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the suggestions, I'll look into them too tonight
    Forum Member
    I've found a potential solution:

I remembered that I had an old HDMI splitter, so I pluggd that directly into my sky box. I then put one HDMI into my receiver where my sky box was plugged in previously & another HDMI into a source on my TV. This potentially lets me view my Sky through my receiver with the sound from the sky box, or I can hit HDMI 2 and get Sky with no sound. This lets me select a different input on my receiver (my Apple TV) and I can play music from it whilst having Sky on via HDMI 2! If I want to watch Sky with the sound from Sky, I just change my TV to the output my receiver is plugged into and then change the input on my receiver to Sky. I'm going to get better splitters & another HDMI cable & do the same with my PS4 & plug that into HDMI 3 on my TV.

The problem I get though is the Sky Hd box gives me a message about HCDP or something like that & the Ps4 will only out put in 480p using the splitter so I need to find one capable of of this

I use a Cablesson splitter, works perfectly....

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cablesson-SPLITTER-Amplifier-Nendindo-Displays/dp/B0042KY0GY
    Forum Member

What source do you plug into that?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the suggestions, I'll look into them too tonight

One simple solution is use a manual toslink switch to switch the digital audio input to the assigned port on the receiver. You could then select anything with a toslink output as the audio source.

eg

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-Way-Digital-TOSlink-HiFi-Switch-Selector-Splitter-3x-Optical-HDTV-DVD-Cable-/351125790548?pt=UK_Computing_Sound_Vision_Audio_Cables_Adapters&hash=item51c0ba5f54
    Forum Member
    Requires button pushes.....

Use coaxial for Sky and Optical for Apple TV, toggle between the two when required...
    Forum Member
    What source do you plug into that?

Currently use it for Sky, but have used it for a PS3 in the past.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Requires button pushes.....

Use coaxial for Sky and Optical for Apple TV, toggle between the two when required...

It's a mechanical rotary switch.
    Forum Member
    It's a mechanical rotary switch.

I'm assuming this is in reply to my "require button pushes".

I wasn't referring to your switch but to my suggestion using coaxial and optical.
    Forum Member

Thanks for the recommendation. I ordered one from eBay for £16.50 delivered and it arrived today and works a treat. Going to buy another for the Sky box