Playing back Region 1 DVDs

FranglaisFranglais Posts: 3,312
Forum Member
✭✭✭
If you have a DVD player which is able to playback Region 1 discs from the USA, would the TV also need to be able to display the NTSC colour or is that resolved within the player itself?

Comments

• flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    Franglais wrote: »
    If you have a DVD player which is able to playback Region 1 discs from the USA, would the TV also need to be able to display the NTSC colour or is that resolved within the player itself?

it's not normally resolved within the player. it will usually output an ntsc signal.

but if your tv is newer than about 20 years old it wont have a problem with this.
  • FranglaisFranglais Posts: 3,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks. flagpole. According to the TV standards listed in the manual for my LG32LC2D TV, NTSC is not mentioned in there hence my concern
  • uniqueunique Posts: 12,435
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

strictly speaking, the answer to the first question is no, and the answer to the second question is sometimes

some players can output NTSC as PAL or as PAL60, thus if you had a tv that can't play NTSC then you can output on certail players as PAL

in practice most tv's will be able to play both PAL and NTSC as they are usually made in the same factories in china that supply a world market, so most components are made for both PAL and NTSC

if you google up your make and model numbers of the hardware you have you should be able to find the specds and find out what they can do. there are probably very few sets in the UK that won't play NTSC. pretty much all plasma/lcd tv's should do this no problem
    Forum Member
    Thanks. flagpole. According to the TV standards listed in the manual for my LG32LC2D TV, NTSC is not mentioned in there hence my concern

i would be amazed if that didn't play ntsc.

i don't think there are any HD TVs that can't handle both formats.
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I stand to be corrected but doesn't NTSC/PAL colour encoding only apply to Composite video output? If you output RGB then it should not be an issue.

Although the different frame rates between NTSC and PAL might be. Though perhaps not so much with modern kit.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chrisjr wrote: »
    I stand to be corrected but doesn't NTSC/PAL colour encoding only apply to Composite video output? If you output RGB then it should not be an issue.

Although the different frame rates between NTSC and PAL might be. Though perhaps not so much with modern kit.

no it doesn't. pal is 50hz and ntsc is 60hz. some tv's will take ntsc through one of two scart sockets but only play back in b/w through the other for example

B&O sets in particular can have issues playing NTSC discs and not be region free. but you have to pay a lot of money for that privelidge
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

a google of that model finds an cnet review that netions ntsc tuner so you should be fine
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,508
    Forum Member
    unique wrote: »
    no it doesn't. pal is 50hz and ntsc is 60hz.

Not specifically so - neither PAL nor NTSC specify frame (or line rates) - 'generally' though NTSC is commonly used for 525/60 and PAL for 625/50. But this isn't exclusive, and there have been numerous DVD players (for example) which will output 625/50 NTSC.
  • Chris FrostChris Frost Posts: 11,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chrisjr wrote: »

Correct on the colour encoding point.

There's rarely now an issue with refresh rates either. Decent TVs from the mid-90's on have been able to cope with 50~60Hz refresh rates. There's quite a few console games that play in something other than vanilla 50Hz.
    Forum Member
    Correct on the colour encoding point.

There's rarely now an issue with refresh rates either. Decent TVs from the mid-90's on have been able to cope with 50~60Hz refresh rates. There's quite a few console games that play in something other than vanilla 50Hz.

and blurays.

in fact the R2 DVD release of Archer is NTSC
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Winston_1 wrote: »
    Nothing to do with the tuner which as its name implys tunes in the signal from the aerial. You won't even use the tuner with a scart connection.

It's the decoder that decides whether NTSC will be decoded. The frame timebase decides whether it will operate at 60Hz.

All those TVs made in the same factories in China although multistandard when they come to Europe they won't play 50Hz or PAL when they go to N America or Japan.

all of them? what nonsense

and if a tv has an ntsc tuner then it will usually mean it can play ntsc material

and brazil is the only countril that has PAL at 60hz. what's the chances of the OP having a brazilian setup in the UK

talk about over complicating a simple question for someone that wants help. the simple answer is it's likely to work

NTSC playback is part of the R2 standards, so a UK R2 based played (which could also be multiregion) has to be able to play NTSC. there are a number of ntsc R2 discs of tv sourced material and music videos
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Please don't say people are talking nonsense when you clearly don't know what you are talking about.

There is NO SUCH THING as an NTSC tuner. As I said it's the decoder that is colour standard specific.

I am quite aware of the PAL M system used in Brazil. It was also tried in Laos but abandoned.

As I stated TV's in NTSC countries won't play PAL or operate at 50Hz. Of course they should be capable but they are hobbled by the manufacturers.

^ this post is proof you are talking nonsense

absolute nonsense. i don't know why people bother posting such rubbish in response to someones request for help, as that certainly doesn't help anyone does it? how does that post help the OP in the slightest? not one bit
    Forum Member
    Please don't say people are talking nonsense when you clearly don't know what you are talking about.

There is NO SUCH THING as an NTSC tuner. As I said it's the decoder that is colour standard specific.

I am quite aware of the PAL M system used in Brazil. It was also tried in Laos but abandoned.

As I stated TV's in NTSC countries won't play PAL or operate at 50Hz. Of course they should be capable but they are hobbled by the manufacturers.

as has been said your info is of no use to the OP. and pretty much all north american tvs play pal these days. but that is not what the OP is asking anyway.
  • mac2708mac2708 Posts: 3,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd be interested to know what US TV's can decode PAL and when this option became available. There have been several threads on this and other forums where people have brought sets back from N. America and have not been able to use them even with a Freeview box.

I wondered that too and here's the answer
    http://www.220-electronics.com/tv/lcd.htm#40-42 Multi System LCD TVs
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The OPs question was already answered. Most threads wander off topic and there is no harm in that.
    I'd be interested to know what US TV's can decode PAL and when this option became available. There have been several threads on this and other forums where people have brought sets back from N. America and have not been able to use them even with a Freeview box.

it's not "an option that became available", it's more an option that available in some, perhaps most models, but not in others. i've bought a dvd player in the states and plugged it into an american model CRT that must have been made about 20 years ago from now, and it worked. i've never found a machine in the states that i've had my hands on that didn't play R2 discs and none of my friends in the states that have been given R2 discs have had any problems in playing them. most electronic hardware of that nature is made in china using the same components for the world market as it's cheaper to produce large runs of the same item than change for different markets

scart isn't a common socket in the states as it was a european design, sometimes refered to as euroscart. with freeview mostly coming with scart only outputs then it's no surprise they won't work. even freeview boxes with RF output would have problems as models are more likely to have an NTSC tuner looking for a 60hz signal instead of a PAL tuner that can accept the 50hz RF signal. thus unless you used the composite or svhs/rgb sockets and the set could accept 50hz from those sockets, you would have problems unless the set had hmdi, which older sets may not have