Options

Looking at maybe getting a Samsung Smart TV for living room

neyney Posts: 12,516
Forum Member
✭✭
I been looking at getting a new TV for the living room to replace a 7 or 8 year old Panasonic 32 inch LCD full HD with standerd Freeview SD tuner.
TV in living room still works and I will be giving it to my sister.
I been looking at Samsung as I got a 22 inch Samsung smart TV in my bedroom that's just under 10 months old and I do like the TV. As it also works with the Freeview IPTV.
I been looking at this Samsung TV on the Currys website. http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-dvd-blu-ray/televisions/large-screen-tvs-32-and-over/samsung-ue32h5500-smart-32-led-tv-10002063-pdt.html as it seems a good price in the sale. TV in my bedroom I also got in a Currys sale. I would also be plugging in a Youview box to TV like I do with the 22 inch Samsung smart TV in my bedroom.
Anyone think its worth getting this TV for the living room.
I have also noticed that LED TVs seem a little smaller than LCDs of the same screen size.
In the past a 40 inch TV seemed a little big for our living room.

Darren

Comments

• Options
    grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    [QUOTE=ney;75122480

I have also noticed that LED TVs seem a little smaller than LCDs of the same screen size.

Darren[/QUOTE]

Gave up reading this post at the above quote. LED TV's are the same as LCD TV's.

LCD TV's require illumination behind the screen so you can see the picture. LED simply means that the backlighting uses LED illumination which uses less power than conventional fluorescent tube back lighting (CCFL).

LED can suffer from uneven lighting compared to CCFL

http://www.ccflwarehouse.com/?gclid=CjwKEAjwwdOhBRCG0fPrlfO1gGUSJAC1FmHXl1dLVu3YQGrFnWRZMVRKQchisn8TnFwZwF6W3JLClhoChYrw_wcB

Why would the choice of back lighting affect the screen size?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gave up reading this post at the above quote. LED TV's are the same as LCD TV's.

LCD TV's require illumination behind the screen so you can see the picture. LED simply means that the backlighting uses LED illumination which uses less power than conventional fluorescent tube back lighting (CCFL).

LED can suffer from uneven lighting compared to CCFL

http://www.ccflwarehouse.com/?gclid=CjwKEAjwwdOhBRCG0fPrlfO1gGUSJAC1FmHXl1dLVu3YQGrFnWRZMVRKQchisn8TnFwZwF6W3JLClhoChYrw_wcB

Why would the choice of back lighting affect the screen size?

I guess that some newer LED TVs seem slimmer at the back than the old LCD TVs that's why they seem to look smaller.
    In the last year or two I have also noticed that LED seems to be replacing LCD TVs.
    Anyway as in the link I posted above that's the Samsung TV I been thinking about getting for the living room.

Darren
  • Options
    evil cevil c Posts: 7,833
    Forum Member
    Hi Darren, that Samsung is the same price in John Lewis and you get a free 5 year guarantee, or also for the same price you could buy it instore (not online) in Richer Sounds, again get a free 5 year g'tee and get a free Samsung WAM250 Wireless Multi-room Speaker Hub (worth £50) and 6 months free subscription to Deezer and 12 months free subscription to MUBI. Deezer offer ends 31/10/14. I'd choose JL or RS over Currys any day of the week when buying a TV.

http://www.johnlewis.com/samsung-ue32h5500-led-hd-1080p-smart-tv-32-with-freeview-hd/p1455216

http://www.richersounds.com/product/tv---all/samsung/ue32h5500/sams-ue32h5500
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    evil c wrote: »
    Hi Darren, that Samsung is the same price in John Lewis and you get a free 5 year guarantee, or also for the same price you could buy it instore (not online) in Richer Sounds, again get a free 5 year g'tee and get a free Samsung WAM250 Wireless Multi-room Speaker Hub (worth £50) and 6 months free subscription to Deezer and 12 months free subscription to MUBI. Deezer offer ends 31/10/14. I'd choose JL or RS over Currys any day of the week when buying a TV.

http://www.johnlewis.com/samsung-ue32h5500-led-hd-1080p-smart-tv-32-with-freeview-hd/p1455216

http://www.richersounds.com/product/tv---all/samsung/ue32h5500/sams-ue32h5500

Thanks for the links. I will have a look at them when I get back from work this afternoon.

Darren
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,527
    Forum Member
    ney wrote: »
    I guess that some newer LED TVs seem slimmer at the back than the old LCD TVs that's why they seem to look smaller.

LED's are generally ALL smaller than CCFL backlit ones.

They tend to look 'smaller' because they are :D

Older sets have much more wasted space around the screen (the bezel), modern LED/LCD's have very little bezel space - so for an identical screen size the set is considerably smaller.

I took two sets out to a customer yesterday, a 32 and a 42 for the customer to decide which they wanted - so we went in first to see what the situation was (why carry two sets if you don't need to! :D). They had a CCFL 32, which they wanted replacing, with that set moving to another room to replace a 28 inch CRT set which wanted disposing of.

Never bothered taking the 32 in, just the 42 - as the new 32 would just look so much smaller than the old 32.

In the last year or two I have also noticed that LED seems to be replacing LCD TVs.

As far as I'm aware they did so a good while back?, I wouldn't have though there have been any new CCFL sets for sale for a good while - I can't remember the last time I ever saw a new one?.
  • Options
    Sue_CSue_C Posts: 1,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We bought the Samsung model and size mentioned in the original post a couple of weeks ago. Same price, also from Currys. Their reserve and collect service did leave something to be desired but at least we got the tv the same day.

It's replacing a 22" set in a small room and is surprisingly compact. I think that something larger than 32" might be needed for a living room.

The tv itself is very good. An excellent picture and the sound is much better than we were expecting. The wireless connection works well with our router and the "smart" features are very good. It has the main four tv catchup services, also Netflix, Amazon Instant, Spotify and a load of other stuff. Haven't tried them all but iPlayer, Netflix and Amazon work well. I think that I came across a web browser at one point, but haven't seen it since.

We wanted to get rid of a very temperamental pvr, so connected a HDD to one of the usb slots. The tv is happily recording a couple of soaps, Dr Who and Antiques Road show and will let you watch other channels on the same mux while it does so. Only one tuner, so only one recording at a time though.

Overall very pleased.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Think I may order this TV over the weekend and get it delivered.
    evil c the link you gave for John Lewis says page not found.
    Sue_C thanks for posted a sort review of the TV.

Darren
  • Options
    Forum Member
    evil c the link you gave for John Lewis says page not found

Yeah, it's sold out since I posted the link.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    evil c wrote: »
    Yeah, it's sold out since I posted the link.

I think I may order TV this weekend from Currys for home delivery.
    There is a Currys store in my area but its the other end of town and I don't always have transport to pick up a big item.

Darren
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hi Darren, I bet you're excited at the prospect of a new TV and I hope it goes well for you. Ordering the TV on the 'phone and then choosing home delivery is classified as distance selling and gives you 14 days to reject it and get a refund if you don't like it, under the Consumer Contract regs 2014: http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/consumer-contracts-regulations

I had a quick look at the Which? review of the UE32H5500 and they say - "Despite being at the lower end of Samsung’s TV range, the H5500 aced many areas of our testing. It has great picture quality, decent sound and is good to use overall.

You'll be impressed by the picture on this Samsung TV. Freeview TV looks fantastic, with natural details and a great colour balance. Motion can be a touch blurry at times, but nothing too disconcerting. Blu-ray movies have good resolution, but don’t quite reach the heights of the Freeview HD.

As with most Samsung LED TVs, the picture can look rather cool at times and the viewing angle is restricted, so anyone watching it to the side will see a washed-out image."
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I ordered the TV earlier this evening for home delivery and it says it should arrive in the nextv3 worn ng days. I do have a now 10 month old 22 inch Samsung smart TV in my bedroom and have a Youview box connected to it and when using the Youview box some channels sound louder than others but tged built in Free view HD tuner on the TV is great. Hope this TV will be ASD good if not better.
    Thank for the info and link.

Darren
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TV arrived this afternoon and I set it up when I got in from work and the picture is far better than the old 7 or 8 year old Panasonic that we was using in living room. Even the sound is so far good. I got a Youview box connected to TV.
    Picture on the new Samsung 32 inch TV in living room even looks a little better than the now 10 month old Samsung 22 inch smart TV in my bedroom and I though the Picture on TV in my bedroom was fine.

Darren
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hi Darren, it all sounds good then. Looks like you made the right choice. I guess you'll be buying a Blu-ray player now?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do so far love the new TV but I did notice that the new TV don't have the BBC connected red button service. Just the normal BBCi red button text not to big a problem but would have thought it would have had the connected red button service as the TV in my bedroom has it.
    I do have a Blu ray p;layed connected to the 22 inch Samsun TV in my bedroom.So I could just use that to watch DVD on the Living room TV if I wanted.

Darren
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    New TV seems to have lost its wireless internet concetsion this afternoon and its now no letting me log back in to my BT home Hub 3.

Darren
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just reset TV bybpulling the plug for a minute or so and got it to connect to the internet again. Hope it no dose this every day.

Darren
  • Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just reset TV bybpulling the plug for a minute or so and got it to connect to the internet again. Hope it no dose this every day.

Darren

My LG occasionally forgets it has a network connection. But all it does is prompt to reconnect when I try and use something that needs the interweb. Then it goes away and thinks about it for a couple of seconds and normal service is resumed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chrisjr wrote: »
    My LG occasionally forgets it has a network connection. But all it does is prompt to reconnect when I try and use something that needs the interweb. Then it goes away and thinks about it for a couple of seconds and normal service is resumed.

TV in my bedroom did same other month but my BT Infinity had gone down for a short while and it seemed easier to reconnected it to the internet than the new TV this afternoon when I got home form work. I think the 22 inch Samsung in my bedroom will have a bit of a better Wi-Fi signal than the new TV in living room for TV in bedroom is in the same room as the BT Home Hub 3.
    I do so far really like the new TV in the living room.

Darren
  • Options
    rjb101rjb101 Posts: 2,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Out of date advice. post removed