TOSHIBA Stasia 27WL55

i'm lookng to buy the TOSHIBA Stasia 27WL55 and was just wandering if anyone has bought one and how happy they are with it?

also if you know of any other LCD that is better but costs less than £600 i would be grateful.

:)

thanks
bharat

Comments

• Jose CardosoJose Cardoso Posts: 1,905
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bharat80 wrote:
    i'm lookng to buy the TOSHIBA Stasia 27WL55 and was just wandering if anyone has bought one and how happy they are with it?
    I don't have that exact model but I do have the 32WL56 which is likely based on a similar panel/display technology.

So far I'm impressed with digital content on this TV. Excellent colour reproduction and good contrast handling. I have a Samsung DVD player that upscales DVD images to 720p or 1080i and outputs them using HDMI for a complete digital transfer to the TV and digitally transferred films (Shrek 2, The Incredibles, etc) all stand out. :)

The only complaint I have is analogue images (see here). I have improved the image by tinkering with the TV's settings but I've also settled on the fact that until Sky produces a box with a decent digital output this is the best I'm going to get from that type of source.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16
    Forum Member
    The 27WL55 is not in the same leugue as the 32WL56 i'm afraid. At the price they are going for now (£500ish) it's fair value. But it's not a star performer. The back lighting of the panel seems very uneven and its very hard to get true blacks. The set was not made in the Tosh UK factory, the 32WL56 is a superb set. The new 27WL56 is a true UK toshiba and is miles better. But retails around the £800 mark. But has the HDMI connector for high def. If it was me i would save up for the WL56!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 175
    Forum Member
    Yam! wrote:
    The 27WL55 is not in the same leugue as the 32WL56 i'm afraid. At the price they are going for now (£500ish) it's fair value. But it's not a star performer. The back lighting of the panel seems very uneven and its very hard to get true blacks. The set was not made in the Tosh UK factory, the 32WL56 is a superb set. The new 27WL56 is a true UK toshiba and is miles better. But retails around the £800 mark. But has the HDMI connector for high def. If it was me i would save up for the WL56!

cant wait as its a present for someone that i should have sorted out ages ago :D
  • Jose CardosoJose Cardoso Posts: 1,905
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yam! wrote:
    The back lighting of the panel seems very uneven and its very hard to get true blacks.
    Interesting. The backlighting on my panel is very even and although blacks aren't solid black, they're the best I've seen on many, many a LCD panel. With a decent HDMI input I have no complaints at all so far. I just assumed the Stasia range was fairly similar across the board.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16
    Forum Member
    Last years models were a very mixed bunch of LCD's from Tosh, the only exception is/was the 32WL48. Most of the sets were 'sourced', this years range is a whole new ball game. I just hope they catch up with the demand!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    I received my 27WL55 a couple of days ago and am very pleased with it. I used a 10% off voucher (which has now expired unfortunately) and paid £458 including delivery. You certainly can't argue with the price!

You see some pictures of it here and I've posted a FAQ at 27wl55.co.uk.

William.