Why do France and America not get along

Comments

• bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the chimp wrote: »
    France and Germany have a very strong relationship.

Ever heard the phrase, "keep your friends close, and your enemies even closer" ? ;)

That's probably how France view Germany, and rightly so.
  • pickwickpickwick Posts: 25,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mamasan wrote: »
    You know you've got a great point when you quote a yellow cartoon boy.
    It struck enough of a chord with Americans to be quoted by numerous high-profile journalists and broadcasters.
  • trevalyantrevalyan Posts: 7,705
    Forum Member
    Lol God bless the Germans, are they popular anywhere??

i've worked with a lot of Germans, and i like them. they have a dry wit, and they are very self aware of their efficient, machine-like international perceived image, and they play on it very well

i'll take Fritz over Fabien
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,775
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pickwick wrote: »
    It struck enough of a chord with Americans to be quoted by numerous high-profile journalists and broadcasters.

Yes, but it was originally intended ironically.

And, of course, the British never accuse the French of being cowardly.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,592
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    frasera wrote: »
    oh dont talk out of your keester.
    http://www.amazon.com/Anti-Americanism-Jean-Francois-Revel/dp/1893554856
    its a VERY long history of antiamericanism from france. long before even the surrender monkey thing came around.

like it or not the french still think they should act like a world power and cultural leader and the fact that they arent grinds their gears. the fact that anglo american culture and language reigns supreme really gets them going.

The fact is France is no more Anti-America than the rest of Europe including the UK. Essentially Europe has a long history of being Anti-American, but France in particular? no
  • MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    Maybe Americans should remember who won 'their' War of Independence against the British for them - the French.

If it wasn't for France's intervention America would have lost the war, remained a British colony and the Queen would now be their head of state not Obama. Not surprising of course that the US sided with a dictatorship (France) against a democracy (Britain) in pursuit of its own aims a the time.:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The fact is France is no more Anti-America than the rest of Europe including the UK. Essentially Europe has a long history of being Anti-American, but France in particular? no

I don't think France in particular. The US and France supported each other's revolutions.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, but it was originally intended ironically.
    And it was used entirely non-ironically, so quoting it doesn't invalidate my point.
    And, of course, the British never accuse the French of being cowardly.
    I don't know what that has to do with the Americans doing it, but then I'm not the kind of nationalist that feels the need to defend everything my country's ever done.
  • 21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,506
    Forum Member
    I speak from personal experience when I say France is not Anti-American people, they are more anti American culture permeating French culture (a culture they/ we are immensley proud of) and the French media etc constantly note the Americanisation of the UK.
  • fraserafrasera Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member

its true that they weren't the only ones. but the savages in america beating them to democracy and lasting really got their goat. combine that with french performance in two world wars and their loss of domination of language in diplomacy/culture and science and they are just bitter. losing to america is in part also losing to the english, which also just adds to it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    trevalyan wrote: »
    i've worked with a lot of Germans, and i like them. they have a dry wit, and they are very self aware of their efficient, machine-like international perceived image, and they play on it very well

i'll take Fritz over Fabien

I worked with a German once. He didn't like the Poles.

"never trust a Polak", he said, "they smile to your face, then stab you in the back".
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And it was used entirely non-ironically, so quoting it doesn't invalidate my point.

It was used non-ironically by idiots.

I don't know what that has to do with the Americans doing it, but then I'm not the kind of nationalist that feels the need to defend everything my country's ever done.

Just the kind who slags other nationalities off for faults that exist in his own country, then?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was used non-ironically by idiots.
    And I'm arguing that American idiots dislike the French. Where's the problem? Or are American idiots not American?
    Just the kind who slags other nationalities off for faults that exist in his own country, then?
    Yep - but I'll slag my own country off for the same faults. I'll treat idiots from all countries the same, and not defend them just because I live near them.

(FWIW, I'm (a) Scottish, and we like the French; and (b) female.)
  • trevalyantrevalyan Posts: 7,705
    Forum Member
    blueblade wrote: »
    I worked with a German once. He didn't like the Poles.

"never trust a Polak", he said, "they smile to your face, then stab you in the back".

a few of the ones i have met made jokes about the dutch, like the english do about the irish, if you get what i mean...?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I speak from personal experience when I say France is not Anti-American people, they are more anti American culture permeating French culture (a culture they/ we are immensley proud of) and the French media etc constantly note the Americanisation of the UK.

Well they're right, of course. But while we bemoan the fact that they haven't taken up any of our recent Britishisations (for want of a better word lol), we can at least wallow in the fact that they use our language, and don't have an actual "American" language.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And I'm arguing that American idiots dislike the French. Where's the problem? Or are American idiots not American?

My apologies then. I thought you were arguing that Americans generally dislike the French. I think only the idiots do.
    Yep - but I'll slag my own country off for the same faults. I'll treat idiots from all countries the same, and not defend them just because I live near them.

Good.
  • exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    In the long run, France's desicion not to go to war in Iraq/ Afghanistan has benefited them, both on the national stage and in terms of their homeland security.

The French are in Afghanistan.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,418
    Forum Member
    *deleted*
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    Guess which country played a significant part in the creation of modern-day America? ;)

Indeed, I like to remind the odd American that their country would not have won it's independence if it wasn't for the French. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My apologies then. I thought you were arguing that Americans generally dislike the French. I think only the idiots do.
    Ah, fair enough. I tend to think only idiots make judgements on whole countries, so yeah, by my definitions you're right!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Indeed, I like to remind the odd American that their country would not have won it's independence if it wasn't for the French. :D

I don't think you need to remind Americans of that.

General Lafayette is as revered a hero in the US as any American.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah, fair enough. I tend to think only idiots make judgements on whole countries, so yeah, by my definitions you're right!

Peace, then. We agree :).
  • fraserafrasera Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member

that is the thing though, they did it to spite you. in the end it didn't work out as they wished though. and well the french revolution was simply rather disappointing from american perspective.

the nature of the dislike is completely different from each side. the french don't like the americans. the americans simply don't like the french because the french don't like the americans:P
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,146
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    trevalyan wrote: »

Agreed - ive worked for a couple of German companies and the german colleagues ive had can be a right laugh. i even had one who used to find it highly amusing to make a combover and moustache using his hands whenever our boss got in a bad mood.....
  • AnachronyAnachrony Posts: 2,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    frasera wrote: »
    that is the thing though, they did it to spite you. in the end it didn't work out as they wished though. and well the french revolution was simply rather disappointing from american perspective.

the nature of the dislike is completely different from each side. the french don't like the americans. the americans simply don't like the french because the french don't like the americans:P

Agreed on both points. The French helped the US in order to harm the English much more than to help the US. The tension between France and anglophone countries goes way back. Later, the US became influential and had better relations with the UK, and now France dislikes both the UK and the US.

The main reason that the US hates France is merely a reaction to how much France hates the US. The reasons that France hates the US are much different. They just don't like us, for one. They feel like their own culture is under attack from global influences, and US imports are a factor in that. Mostly they remember when they were the superpower and resent their greatly diminished relevance. Maybe 50 years from now they'll move on to hating the new superpowers, China and India.