Options

Would you like the 50th anniversary show to use the original theme music ?

2»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 74
    Forum Member
    In what way does the current one sound cheap?

It doesn't just SOUND cheap, the title sequence LOOKS cheap aswell. It has terrible effects, such as the tardis, it just looks so bad compared to Eccleston and Tennant's one.

I don't know what has happened TBH.:confused:
  • Options
    TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TC Nibbles wrote: »
    It doesn't just SOUND cheap, the title sequence LOOKS cheap aswell. It has terrible effects, such as the tardis, it just looks so bad compared to Eccleston and Tennant's one.

I don't know what has happened TBH.:confused:

I'd agree that the current title sequence (although I like the general idea of it) is very poorly put together (and the less said about the new grey and white Doctor Who logo the better), but I don't understand how the theme can sound "cheap". I think it's the best iteration of the theme yet. It has the powerful new melody at the beginning which was introduced in 2010 and it has the electronic base beat of the 1980s underneath it all giving it a somewhat retro feel.
    This is what the title sequence should have been made to be like: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PKomuwyJVE

Added to that, I thought the 2010 and 2011 title sequence was brilliant and cannot understand how it could be labelled cheap or poorly put together. I'd go as far as saying that it is the best Doctor Who title sequence ever.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 74
    Forum Member
    I'd agree that the current title sequence (although I like the general idea of it) is very poorly put together (and the less said about the new grey and white Doctor Who logo the better), but I don't understand how the theme can sound "cheap". I think it's the best iteration of the theme yet. It has the powerful new melody at the beginning which was introduced in 2010 and it has the electronic base beat of the 1980s underneath it all giving it a somewhat retro feel.
    This is what the title sequence should have been made to be like: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PKomuwyJVE

Added to that, I thought the 2010 and 2011 title sequence was brilliant and cannot understand how it could be labelled cheap or poorly put together. I'd go as far as saying that it is the best Doctor Who title sequence ever.
    Ok, maybe "cheap" is the wrong word to describe the new theme, but I just really hate the tune and sound effects used in the new ones. The old theme with Eccleston really got my adrenaline going and It had a real punch at the start, now I don't get that feeling at all.

Also, what is with the constant changing camera shoots through space and awful looking planets? I would rather it just the TARDIS flying through the time vortex like it used to. It would just stop the theme looking like it has been made with the worst equipment ever.

But yes, cheap could be the wrong word to describe the sound of it, it is just It isn't my favourite. It constantly changes though, so maybe I will like the next one more.:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,011
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Although you can't deny the talent the guy who made this has having a read over some of the comments and his replies brings me to the conclusion that the guy is a tool.

The whole thing is riddled with breaches of the BBC's copyright and he takes offence when others ask for permission to use any aspect of his versions claiming it would be theft and infringing on his copyright. It's either copyright theft or it's not, you can't go around stealing other people's work without even asking, then berate/act all high and mighty when other people are just asking permission on adapting yours, it's all a bit hypocritical.

Anyway I quite like the idea and theme behind the current show, it's much closer to the original than it has been since it came back and feels a bit like a combination of all the themes put together since the show started. Although the VFX could use some work at times during the sequence I don't have a problem with it and think it represents the show quite well.
  • Options
    gingerfreakgingerfreak Posts: 523
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    and it has the electronic base beat of the 1980s underneath it all giving it a somewhat retro feel.

The bassline is based on the original theme, not Peter Howell's. I love both of those, btw.
  • Options
    gingerfreakgingerfreak Posts: 523
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rua is god wrote: »
    Although you can't deny the talent the guy who made this has having a read over some of the comments and his replies brings me to the conclusion that the guy is a tool.

The whole thing is riddled with breaches of the BBC's copyright and he takes offence when others ask for permission to use any aspect of his versions claiming it would be theft and infringing on his copyright. It's either copyright theft or it's not, you can't go around stealing other people's work without even asking, then berate/act all high and mighty when other people are just asking permission on adapting yours, it's all a bit hypocritical.

Anyway I quite like the idea and theme behind the current show, it's much closer to the original than it has been since it came back and feels a bit like a combination of all the themes put together since the show started. Although the VFX could use some work at times during the sequence I don't have a problem with it and think it represents the show quite well.

I think calling him a tool is harsh, but yes, if you're treating copyrighted material as fair game, then you have to accept that your material is fair game. Of course, copyrighted material is just that, so the point is moot. If someone copied or used his work at any time, and he tried to get that video pulled, the BBC would get involved and they'd both have to go.

Its still good though. I'd just like to see him do something a bit different, rather than a slightly different version on the BBC's theme. It's just all a bit 'showreel' at the moment.
  • Options
    Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ok , we all have various things we'd like to see in the 50th anniversary epsiode , but most of em aint gonna happen 'cos we're not writing it .

But there's one thing I'd love and think would be so appropriate - using the original theme tune .

over the years the production values have gone up , but the one thing that certainly isn't as good is the theme tune , constant re-arrangements have not improved it .

the original is so much more effective , really creepy actually .

what do you think ?

what an excellent idea !! :D

made my day that did .