Options

Film on

I have found s great internet tv service www.filmon.com
Is it possible to use a set top box to watch it on my tv or modify something like a BTvision or tiscaly set top box?

Comments

• Options
    KennyTKennyT Posts: 20,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have found s great internet tv service www.filmon.com
    Is it possible to use a set top box to watch it on my tv or modify something like a BTvision or tiscaly set top box?
    If you've got a modern LCD TV, it will have a "PC-Video" connection and can act like a monitor. You just need a standard video connector and a 3.5mm-3.5mm jack plug to take the sound from your PC headphone socket...

BTW, I get warnings about that site not having a "good reputation"...

K
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16
    Forum Member
    Thanks kenny I really dont want the pc being in the lounge hence maybe a modded set top box.
    I have read a few bad things about the site but so far I have encountered no problems
  • Options
    MandarkMandark Posts: 47,964
    Forum Member
    I should probably 'warn' people (especially those with families) that XXX channels are freely available in the lineup without you even having to register. :D Just download the program or don't. Picture quality is excellent though.

New mobile service is coming soon!

Edit: I wonder if this strictly legal. What are IPTV rules on such things?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    KennyT wrote: »
    If you've got a modern LCD TV, it will have a "PC-Video" connection and can act like a monitor. You just need a standard video connector and a 3.5mm-3.5mm jack plug to take the sound from your PC headphone socket...

BTW, I get warnings about that site not having a "good reputation"...

K
    I read that they were broadcasting Sky Sports and Eurosport for free at one time which was obviously not legit.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Respectable boss though - Alki David
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alki_David
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    Seems it is subscription, only now.
  • Options
    ribtickleribtickle Posts: 6,361
    Forum Member
    Whatever you do, don't buy anything from them. I made the mistake of purchasing a 22-minute documentary for almost £8, paying twice the price for a 'HQ' version, but what I received was of little better quality than a highly-compressed fileshare cap. It was virtually unwatchable on a TV when converted. Their own software to expand and convert the file did not work either.

Their customer service is dire. They have a live web cam & chat sessions but you might as well be communicating with a bale of hay for the way they automatically fob you off with promises that somebody will be in touch, then close the session. I'd only requested a part refund because I felt the HQ version was little different to the low-fi version at half the price, and not much better than the free-to-view/sample version, but never got anything. They completely ignored e-mails until I got Paypal involved, then started asking if the file wouldn't play, but because they have you pay with Paypal you cannot get your money back under Buyer Protection on a digital download.

Use their service if you must, but be very cautious about actually buying anything. I haven't used their site since, and even when they offered free shares in their spam mails I continued to avoid them like the plague.

If it says at Wikipedia that the site made a £7 million profit in its first year I can't say I find that surprising, given my experience.