Grand Theft Auto V ANNOUNCED

Comments

• Flawed-TacticsFlawed-Tactics Posts: 3,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The GTA series is the biggest heap of overrated code and textures ever created, I say this from my occasional attempts to enjoy the games, from vice city to gta4. I buy them because everybody is blowing gaskets about how good it is, its pure 100% disappointment when I start playing it.

That is my opinion. Just had to get it off my chest.
  • hsellorshsellors Posts: 849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was kind of shocked about the delay but I'd rather a non buggy game too, plus after only getting my pc at xmas it gives me times to complete some games (inc gta4!) first.

I was wondering though is it a good idea to release one of the most highly anticipated games for a console just as you are about to release a new console? Won't it dampen some peoples need to get a ps4 at first?
  • tysonstormtysonstorm Posts: 24,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hsellors wrote: »
    I was kind of shocked about the delay but I'd rather a non buggy game too, plus after only getting my pc at xmas it gives me times to complete some games (inc gta4!) first.

I was wondering though is it a good idea to release one of the most highly anticipated games for a console just as you are about to release a new console? Won't it dampen some peoples need to get a ps4 at first?

Good point, although not too sure on GTA5 being bug free. :p

It doesn't make sense from a business POV to release a huge title like GTA at the literal end of life of the Xbox (and eventually PS3). Unless there is a plan to package the game with the new systems as a bundle to encourage people to jump to next gen. (on the basis the game will be compatible on both current and next gen) and those who don't jump to next gen can still enjoy the game. Making it a win-win-win for Rockstar, M$ and $ony.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The GTA series is the biggest heap of overrated code and textures ever created, I say this from my occasional attempts to enjoy the games, from vice city to gta4. I buy them because everybody is blowing gaskets about how good it is, its pure 100% disappointment when I start playing it.

Possibly, however it makes money and thats all that matters to devs and publishers.

Look at the FIFA series, CoD etc. All steaming piles of repetitive you-know-what, but they generate money, no matter how god-awful they are.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,134
    Forum Member
  • hsellorshsellors Posts: 849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tysonstorm wrote: »
    Good point, although not too sure on GTA5 being bug free. :p

It doesn't make sense from a business POV to release a huge title like GTA at the literal end of life of the Xbox (and eventually PS3). Unless there is a plan to package the game with the new systems as a bundle to encourage people to jump to next gen. (on the basis the game will be compatible on both current and next gen) and those who don't jump to next gen can still enjoy the game. Making it a win-win-win for Rockstar, M$ and $ony.

But if the ps4 isn't backward compatible wouldn't that take a lot of time to rebuild it for the next gen? Or would it be similar to how they make an xbox and a ps3 version?

I dont know much about how games are made :o

Unless they release the ps4 6 months after the GTA5 release. Will they still make big games for the ps3 once the ps4 comes out or do you think they'll pile all resources into the ps4 to encourage sales? I hope not!
  • DJGMDJGM Posts: 3,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Francis has taken the news badly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ax4APrQmWzE
    Sad fat git needs to lose some weight and get a life! It's only a bloody videogame being delayed, not the end of the world!
  • Delboy219Delboy219 Posts: 3,193
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I feel different about the delay after having slept on it. I'm now glad it's happening, because it might possibly f**k with Activision and EA's sales this year. :D
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DJGM wrote: »
    Sad fat git needs to lose some weight and get a life! It's only a bloody videogame being delayed, not the end of the world!

You weren't to know because he's so good at it.. but it's an act. He's not really like that. The Francis thing is a character.. he's made other videos about Diablo 3 being down, WoW being down etc. And he's already well into the process of losing weight. He doesn't need people online to tell him that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hsellors wrote: »
    But if the ps4 isn't backward compatible wouldn't that take a lot of time to rebuild it for the next gen? Or would it be similar to how they make an xbox and a ps3 version?

I suspect the PS4 will continue to use Blu-Ray so I don't see why not. If it doesn't I guess it would be possible to port it to the PS4.
    I dont know much about how games are made :o

Unless they release the ps4 6 months after the GTA5 release. Will they still make big games for the ps3 once the ps4 comes out or do you think they'll pile all resources into the ps4 to encourage sales? I hope not!

I think the PS4 will be announced soon in time for Xmas 2013 or Jan 2014. However devs will still make games for the PS3, just as devs continued to work on games for the PS2 when the PS3 was launched. Such development will be gradually phased out though over time.
  • Danger CloseDanger Close Posts: 3,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If you didn't like Vice City, why would you go back for more?

VC and Sa were the best two games in the franchise, separated by a coin toss for a lot of people. I didn't like GTA until 3 when it stopped that annoying overhead nonsense. But when it restyled I took a shot and loved it.

Oh yeah... September!

GODDAMNIT!
  • darkthunder35darkthunder35 Posts: 5,016
    Forum Member

My opinion of you has gone right downhill after that:p
  • biggebruvbiggebruv Posts: 6,626
    Forum Member
    Well it should of been expected. The shelf life of the game was going to be severely short to begin with since the new Xbox and PS are only just around the corner. The marketing for this game has been a complete shambles from start to finish.

So thats me out, my interest levels were barely hanging on as it was, this delay just killed it off for good.

Well done Rocksh*te.

I was mad about the delay too (over it now though lol) but are you honestly saying come September when everyone is hyped for this and come release day you will not be interested:confused: YEAH SURE!!!:p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    It doesn't make sense from a business POV to release a huge title like GTA at the literal end of life of the Xbox (and eventually PS3).

I don't agree, in my opinion it's a perfect time to release the game, just think of the huge worldwide install base of the PS3/360 and how that will translate to sales, it'll make a killing purely baed on the GTA name but Rockstar will make more money by releasing it for current gen consoles than if they rushed out a next gen port and cancelled the current gen versions (to even suggest that that is the reason for the delay is ridiculous if you ask me). While there will be early adopters to the next generation, there will still be a lot more current gen consoles in peoples homes than there will be initially for the PS4/Xbox 3.

God of War II was released on PS2 after the release of the PS3 and that was still a big hit, just because a new generation of consoles has been released doesn't mean that the current crop suddenly die and sales disappear.
    Forum Member
    CJClarke wrote: »
    I don't agree, in my opinion it's a perfect time to release the game, just think of the huge worldwide install base of the PS3/360 and how that will translate to sales, it'll make a killing purely baed on the GTA name but Rockstar will make more money by releasing it for current gen consoles than if they rushed out a next gen port and cancelled the current gen versions (to even suggest that that is the reason for the delay is ridiculous if you ask me). While there will be early adopters to the next generation, there will still be a lot more current gen consoles in peoples homes than there will be initially for the PS4/Xbox 3.

God of War II was released on PS2 after the release of the PS3 and that was still a big hit, just because a new generation of consoles has been released doesn't mean that the current crop suddenly die and sales disappear.

is it not possible that they could be doing current gen versions and next gen versions

that happened with tomb raider legends on Xbox and ps2

it came out at the same time for 360 and ps3 and contained better graphics/performance

same could be happening with GTA5 much better performance on a next gen console and higher graphics no?
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Would they not want GTA5 to be a PS4 launch title? Surely that would be quite attractive for the launch of a new console.. having a GTA game come with it? My PS3 came with GTA.
  • SpeedloaferSpeedloafer Posts: 2,407
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Francis has taken the news badly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ax4APrQmWzE

Brilliant, clearly an act though, thought out lines of are the hookers not hookery enough and putting 20 more hours of tv in there, oh and nobody wants to go ****ing bowling. Excellent
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DJGM wrote: »
    It is a character he plays, he isn't actually like that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRICVQpmPII

Normal video for you.

His Francis character is pretty funny.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would they not want GTA5 to be a PS4 launch title? Surely that would be quite attractive for the launch of a new console.. having a GTA game come with it? My PS3 came with GTA.
    My gut reaction a while back was that it would be a launch title, depending on when the consoles came.

There are good points for it being a launch title as well as it not being a launch title.

On one hand, for Sony/Microsoft it would be a huge system seller.

On the other hand, GTA will fly off the shelf regardless of console. Therefore the expensive might not be worth it for them.

September concerns me. Way to close to a holiday console release if it isn't a launch title or if the new consoles do not have backwards compatibility.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    biggebruv wrote: »
    I was mad about the delay too (over it now though lol) but are you honestly saying come September when everyone is hyped for this and come release day you will not be interested:confused: YEAH SURE!!!:p

Absolutely.

From Summer until Xmas all I'm going to be interested in is next-gen. This gen for me has already died on it's arse and been dragged out longer than necessary, so why would I want to extend the longevity of my current withering 360 when it's already been put out to pasture.

No point buying GTA5 if it's going to be old news/old gen within a matter of a few months.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CJClarke wrote: »

I didn't say they would cancel it for the current gen.

The issue is when GTA5 comes out people will either buy the game and hold off buying a new console for several months if not a year, or they will avoid the game and go for the new gen consoles. In which case someone will lose out on sales, be it Rock$tar, M$ or $ony.

Unless they have something else up their sleeve such as making the game available for current AND next gens somehow, possibly using backwards compatibility to encourage users to get both the game and a shiny new console.

I certainly don't buy the line that it was put back for technical reasons.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

This is kinda what I'm saying.

It would be an epic coup for both M$ and $ony to have GTA as launch titles for the next gen, but yet it isn't and is infact coming right at the very end of the current gen when the focus of the entire industry will be entirely on next gen.

Unless the plan is to release it for both gens.
    Forum Member
    Absolutely.

From Summer until Xmas all I'm going to be interested in is next-gen. This gen for me has already died on it's arse and been dragged out longer than necessary, so why would I want to extend the longevity of my current withering 360 when it's already been put out to pasture.

No point buying GTA5 if it's going to be old news/old gen within a matter of a few months.

but just cause its old gen does not mean it cant or wont be a cracking game who cares what gen its from its the game itself that matters in the end isn't it?

if the game is rated very very highly which it should do since GTA has a good track record so far
    and fans are raving about it are you telling me you still wont give in and buy it??:D

its easy now to say meh but come september when GTA fever reaches a peek I bet youll crack:D

anyways most consoles when they begin take a while to get properly going so GTA is a really good holdover title
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is kinda what I'm saying.

It would be an epic coup for both M$ and $ony to have GTA as launch titles for the next gen, but yet it isn't and is infact coming right at the very end of the current gen when the focus of the entire industry will be entirely on next gen.

Unless the plan is to release it for both gens.
    It would be on both gens if it is on next-gen.

No question on that.

120m+ consoles out there now compared to around 6m for next-gen launch window.
  • TVScourgeTVScourge Posts: 453
    Forum Member
    chopoff wrote: »
    It would be on both gens if it is on next-gen.

No question on that.

120m+ consoles out there now compared to around 6m for next-gen launch window.

I would be surprised if its on both gen. Rockstar have never made a GTA game that appeared on two different generation of consoles.

Except for probably one game in the late 90s. GTA 2 was on the 5th (PS1) and 6th (Dreamcast) generation. That's actually a funny thought, that because of the Dreamcast, GTA 2 was on the same generation as GTA III, VC, SA, LCS and VCS.

Industry can focus all it wants. Its the fans who matter to Rockstar. We give them our monies, and we'll do that in droves should it come to PS3 and 360 as promised. Who would want to buy a brand new £400 console when we still have our powerful current gen machines, and baring down on a triple-dip recession?
This discussion has been closed.