Options

Queen over rated or under rated

Comments

• Options
    Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    it's very simple. When something is very popular but critically panned it's popularity exceeds it's quality - i.e. it's overpopular;)

put another way Queen were rubbish but people liked them anyway - they obviously either didn't care or didn't notice:D

I would never base my taste in music on the views of a music critic as they follow the agenda of the publication they work for rather than give an honest opinion. And what is to say their opinion is any more valid than anyone else's in the first place?

Geezer Butler, the bass player with Black Sabbath, once said of music critics... " Beethoven himself could rise from the dead and give the greatest orchestral performance the world has ever seen and the world's music critics would say 'that was shit'."

And don't you mean you think Queen were rubbish but people liked them?
  • Options
    Tal'shiarTal'shiar Posts: 2,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I tell any wannabe band (mostly death metal idiots) to read up on Queen and how they did the record deal. Thats a band doing it correctly. Musically they are of course fronted by a legendary singer, and May on guitar is something of an icon (I think he is over rated when called a god, but he is without a doubt one hell of a guitarist). Bassist and drummer I dont even know, but it sounds pretty good so they are at least a cut above the rest.

Musically its not aged as well, but such is the way of most things. Queen were a massive rock pop band that commanded huge crowds and iconic status, but they are not timeless.

So, over rated if called the greatest, but I think one of the greats is a fair enough title.

(I say that whilst not even really being a fan, I find most of the music dull, but I can appreciate talent and writing skill. Just not my taste in music.)
  • Options
    oblivianoblivian Posts: 4,024
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Over rated for me. For some reason people that never bothered with them originally now seem to love them. Seems there's a real revision of history with queen, no idea why because I remember them getting a proper slating many years ago.
  • Options
    jackoljackol Posts: 7,887
    Forum Member
    Rock music for housewives
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    oblivian wrote: »
    Over rated for me. For some reason people that never bothered with them originally now seem to love them. Seems there's a real revision of history with queen, no idea why because I remember them getting a proper slating many years ago.

Plenty of music is criticised at first and then re-evaluated later on - even the likes of Led Zeppelin got their fair share of bad reviews in the 70s. Similarly, a lot of music praised at the time of release is later seen as a bit naff. Considering Queen's huge amount of success and popularity over the years, along with their influence on various pop and rock bands since, it's hardly surprising that some people have changed their opinions over time.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Your music is your music. Who cares if anyone else likes it? Enjoy it for what it gives YOU.

(I think it's histrionic crap by the way, but my opinion counts for jack-all)
  • Options
    ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    jackol wrote: »
    Rock music for housewives

Why's that then?
  • Options
    maninthequeuemaninthequeue Posts: 2,479
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Queen = Underrated by the music critics, but that's probably due to them being grossly overrated by the public.

Personally I think their 1970s output is overrated and their last decade's output is underrated.
  • Options
    Jon RossJon Ross Posts: 3,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Electra wrote: »
    Why's that then?

I think he's suggesting a lot of people who own Queen albums also own stuff by Phil Collins.
  • Options
    RikScotRikScot Posts: 2,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Over analysed for sure....it's just music ;)
  • Options
    jackoljackol Posts: 7,887
    Forum Member
    Jon Ross wrote: »
    I think he's suggesting a lot of people who own Queen albums also own stuff by Phil Collins.

Yep, pretty much that
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's a good point. For some reason alot of these artists seem to be in the same boat... Queen, Phil Collins, Elton, U2, Bob Geldof & Clapton in some respect.

Can't put my finger on it, but there seems to be a "clique". And there's an element of dislike for them.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Really? I think he's talking out of his arse then.

I own the first five Queen albums & wouldn't touch MOR shite with a bargepole.

This 'housewife' was actually listening to Amon Amarth when she read that post :D
  • Options
    mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a good point. For some reason alot of these artists seem to be in the same boat... Queen, Phil Collins, Elton, U2, Bob Geldof & Clapton in some respect.

Can't put my finger on it, but there seems to be a "clique". And there's an element of dislike for them.

The link is they all played LiveAid..shame on them!
    Electra wrote: »
    Really? I think he's talking out of his arse then.

I own the first five Queen albums & wouldn't touch MOR shite with a bargepole.

This 'housewife' was actually listening to Amon Amarth when she read that post :D

Totally agree.
  • Options
    Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,391
    Forum Member
    They are rated as one of the greatest groups in music history

And rightly so.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mgvsmith wrote: »

Totally agree.

Statistically, when you look at Phil Collins' and Queen's album sales, a lot of people MUST own albums by both, so he's probably not so far off the mark. My Mum's best friend owns Queen's Greatest Hits and Phil Collins' Hits. Keeps them both on the coffee table. And yes, she is a housewife!
  • Options
    rachelgatarachelgata Posts: 835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I personally have never liked them or got their appeal, but it's hard to say if they are overrated. So many people I know loved them and they displayed a lot of undeniable musicianship.

I do, however, object when people tell me I "must" love Queen or act surprised when I say I don't. I get that a lot! So in that respect, I feel they are a bit over-revered.
  • Options
    Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fancy outfits...

Oops, did I say that out loud? Got to be careful round here now to badmouth the "Queen of pop":eek:

:p:p:D

But that is my feeling towards Queen. Freddie was a great performer and each equal talents in their own feilds. But Their music is panst and vastly overrated.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hav_mor91 wrote: »
    But that is my feeling towards Queen. Freddie was a great performer and each equal talents in their own feilds. But Their music is panst and vastly overrated.

What do you mean that is your feeling towards Queen? Queen are nothing to do with fancy outfits... their music isn't supposed to equal someone like Dylan or The Beatles. They're all about anthems/sing-a-longs. Their live gigs should tell you enough, all about audience participation.

As far as Beyonce goes, her career goes down the toilet if execs refuse to throw money at the hundreds of producers and songwriters for her. She's simply chasing shadows.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Statistically, when you look at Phil Collins' and Queen's album sales, a lot of people MUST own albums by both, so he's probably not so far off the mark. My Mum's best friend owns Queen's Greatest Hits and Phil Collins' Hits. Keeps them both on the coffee table. And yes, she is a housewife!

Bad maths, nonsense reasoning, more than a bit sexist...!

I take it this is a windup, so forget it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    What do you mean that is your feeling towards Queen? Queen are nothing to do with fancy outfits... their music isn't supposed to equal someone like Dylan or The Beatles. They're all about anthems/sing-a-longs. Their live gigs should tell you enough, all about audience participation.

As far as Beyonce goes, her career goes down the toilet if execs refuse to throw money at the hundreds of producers and songwriters for her. She's simply chasing shadows.

Oh, is that a Beyonce fan dissing Queen? Too funny :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bad maths, nonsense reasoning, more than a bit sexist...!

I take it this is a windup, so forget it.

Nope, you can't argue with facts and the sales are the facts. Two of the biggest selling artists in history and a great many people will own albums by both, so they can both be lumped together to an extent as middle-of-the-road rock (that is a less sexist way of putting it than the way jackol chose).

The anecdote about my Mum's friend is another FACT, whether it suits you or not. I'm sure that is replicated up and down the country. You can probably add Abba's Gold and - now - Adele's 21 to that list. Music commonly owned by lots of people who aren't really into music very much. People who only buy their music from supermarkets (and yes, I've seen those all those aforementioned artists' CDs in supermarkets).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nope, you can't argue with facts and the sales are the facts. Two of the biggest selling artists in history and a great many people will own albums by both, so they can both be lumped together to an extent as middle-of-the-road rock (that is a less sexist way of putting it than the way jackol chose).

You have no idea of the demographic breakdown of those sales and whether both are owned by the same people - bad maths/statistics.
    The anecdote about my Mum's friend is another FACT, whether it suits you or not. I'm sure that is replicated up and down the country. You can probably add Abba's Gold and - now - Adele's 21 to that list. Music commonly owned by lots of people who aren't really into music very much. People who only buy their music from supermarkets (and yes, I've seen those all those aforementioned artists' CDs in supermarkets).

You can't draw any conclusions from a single anecdote - bad reasoning.

The only defence is that the original comment about Rock for Housewives was an oblique reference to a Queen video for 'I want to break free' which was actually very tongue in cheek.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You have no idea of the demographic breakdown of those sales and whether both are owned by the same people - bad maths/statistics.

You can't draw any conclusions from a single anecdote - bad reasoning.

The only defence is that the original comment about Rock for Housewives was an oblique reference to a Queen video for 'I want to break free' which was actually very tongue in cheek.

I just find it somewhat irritating that some people make such assumptions about what sort of music mature women are supposed to like. We're as different as everyone else. I grew up on Iggy & all of a sudden I'm consigned to listening to the likes of Phil Collins & Adele?

F*ck that for a game of soldiers!
  • Options
    mal2poolmal2pool Posts: 5,690
    Forum Member
    Queen were great at first when they started. Always thought Freddies voice sounded too strained like he was trying too hard with the high notes. We are the champions for example. When he was more mellow like Killer Queen he sounded sublime.