Malaki- Most Disturbing Child Cruelty Scene on BGT

Comments

• MandarkMandark Posts: 47,948
    Forum Member
    I said in the show thread I thought this Malaki stunt was done to create a talking point. And then I find this morning Radio Derby discussing whether parents put their kids under too much pressure after the scenes on BGT! Says it all really!

Bottom line, he wasn't ready as Louis Walsh would say. Some very young kids like Connie (BGT 2007) could handle it but not all. I hope he's left out from the live shows.
  • achroachro Posts: 3,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After seeing clips from shows like Dance Moms and Toddlers & Tiaras, this was relatively tame.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you wrote: »
    Simon admitted on the ITV2 show that he edits the show. Hasn't Simon learnt from The US X Factor with that young girl who collapsed crying live on TV?

If you're talking about Hollie Steel, that was on Britain's Got Talent in 2009.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,933
    Forum Member
    zx50 wrote: »
    If you're talking about Hollie Steel, that was on Britain's Got Talent in 2009.

It was Rachel Crow on America's X Factor, she is a bit older, aged 13 I believe:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-S9Flw3CRk&feature=related
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    None of us know anything about the behind-the-scenes pressure the kid was under, whether it was pushy parent syndrome remains to be seen. But, if the kid had just suffered from stage-fright on the day, there isn't actually a cut and dry right/wrong way of dealing with that situation. Encouraging the kid to overcome his fears has some merit to it, as does letting him go home to build his confidence away from the cameras. For me the issue is whether the kid wanted to be performing in the first place.
    if this whole thing was contrived, then that kid should receive an oscar! Yep, he was genuinely nervous and had stage fright - sorry, but I don't buy the "it was a fake" allegations.

Agreed, but the fact that the tears were real doesn't mean the editing and presentation of what happened wasn't contrived.
    grimtales1 wrote: »
    Interesting, if he sang a second song which had all the applause, why didnt they show him singing that? Why show him singing the first song again?

Because that wouldn't have been nearly as dramatic. ;)
  • maw1maw1 Posts: 418
    Forum Member
    ItsNick wrote: »
    What do you mean 'Exactly'?
    This thread isn't about age limits. The OP was suggesting that his mum was pushy and that he didn't really want to be there. I was just saying that it's not that he didn't want to be there, it's just that he looked the way he did because he was so nervous. Someone who's nine performing in front of all that lot would be nervous.

If you want to talk about age limits I think it should be 16.

The thread is about a form of child cruelty by encouraging or allowing young kids to perform in front of a huge live audience before they are ready. An age limit would be one way of preventing this.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member
    We don't have a problem with emotion but how do you know it wasn't fake ? It looked very fake to me.

Really!!! Dont think so
  • PorkSausagePorkSausage Posts: 2,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just seen this on catch-up, and frankly I was horrified about what the poor little boy was put through.

I would be even more horrified if he gets put through to the lives.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Liz G-S wrote: »
    It was Rachel Crow on America's X Factor, she is a bit older, aged 13 I believe:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-S9Flw3CRk&feature=related

You can hear her saying: "you promised" to someone that's talking to her. Pushy parent, perhaps?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We don't have a problem with emotion but how do you know it wasn't fake ? It looked very fake to me.

It's very hard to induce tears if the emotion's not there. Even actors/actresses have difficulty doing this on demand.
  • ServalanServalan Posts: 10,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's very hard to induce tears if the emotion's not there. Even actors/actresses have difficulty doing this on demand.

I don't doubt that his tears and emotions were genuine. For me, that's not the question - and the whole 'Should children this young be entered into talent competitions?' is a smokescreen.

The real issue is with the editing of the show. Did his meltdown really need broadcasting if he did an audition that didn't feature him crying? If so, why? Because the only reason I can see is to create 'drama' (:rolleyes:) on a reality television series and to generate publicity for Simon Cowell from a child crying. And that, frankly, doesn't really pass as showbusiness ... let alone entertainment.
  • JohnCurryJohnCurry Posts: 1,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyway, full marks to Alesha for reacting quickly to the situation, taking charge and resolving the matter. The others just sat dumb.

This is my clip, less the ads. Notice the happy way they leave the studio.

Malaki Paul on Britain's Got Talent
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RVNZronDh4
  • PorkSausagePorkSausage Posts: 2,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Servalan wrote: »
    I don't doubt that his tears and emotions were genuine. For me, that's not the question - and the whole 'Should children this young be entered into talent competitions?' is a smokescreen.

The real issue is with the editing of the show. Did his meltdown really need broadcasting if he did an audition that didn't feature him crying? If so, why? Because the only reason I can see is to create 'drama' (:rolleyes:) on a reality television series and to generate publicity for Simon Cowell from a child crying. And that, frankly, doesn't really pass as showbusiness ... let alone entertainment.

Valid point, but I think there are 2 "questions" / issus here:

1/ 9 year old boy was put undue stress and broke down in tears. In my book, a form of child cruelty.

2/ ITV indulged themselves in the situation and decided to broadcast it in the name of entertainment.

IMHO, both are morally repugnant.
  • JohnCurryJohnCurry Posts: 1,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I notice the camera is being kept more on Alesha these days. She is becoming the face of BGT.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I noticed that Cowell wasn't too happy with Malakai breaking down in tears. He forced a slight smile when the camera was on him.
  • suniilsuniil Posts: 2,612
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are many kids who has genuine ability to sing and perform in live shows / stages

Have a look at this child performs in Brazilians got Talent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_tb2KKjUpM
    maw1 wrote: »
    The thread is about a form of child cruelty by encouraging or allowing young kids to perform in front of a huge live audience before they are ready. An age limit would be one way of preventing this.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I noticed that Cowell wasn't too happy with Malakai breaking down in tears. He forced a slight smile when the camera was on him.

Of course.

And that's why it ended up in the broadcast programme. Because Simon Cowell thought it would make for good television and nobody at ITV had the courage to tell him otherwise.

Cowell's idea of entertainment and ITV's willingness to bow to whatever he wants are nearly as bad as each other.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Valid point, but I think there are 2 "questions" / issus here:

1/ 9 year old boy was put undue stress and broke down in tears. In my book, a form of child cruelty.

2/ ITV indulged themselves in the situation and decided to broadcast it in the name of entertainment.

IMHO, both are morally repugnant.

Personally, I'd agree - but the first point you raise is ultimately between mother and son, not a broadcast issue.

The latter is an appalling lack of judgement on the part of both Cowell and ITV and a sign of how low Cowell is prepared to sink.
  • 4smiffy4smiffy Posts: 2,161
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    4smiffy wrote: »
    Press_esc has also said unpleasant things about the child on another thread. It's obviously him who has a problem with being judgemental of others.

I agree that his mum seemed fine, and I really don't understand Press_esc's attitude.

Looks like he's been banned! :)
  • suniilsuniil Posts: 2,612
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's a TV gold moment, that's why the producers make sure most fragile people are through the first rounds and waiting for the breakdown to happen!
    The latter is an appalling lack of judgement on the part of both Cowell and ITV and a sign of how low Cowell is prepared to sink.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kids should not be allowed to take part and a minimum age should be introduced. You knew Malakai would ge through but he shouldnt have been there in the first place. It was mistake putting him through and the other children as there will be waterworks at somestage for them when they dont go through or put out.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course.

And that's why it ended up in the broadcast programme. Because Simon Cowell thought it would make for good television and nobody at ITV had the courage to tell him otherwise.

Cowell's idea of entertainment and ITV's willingness to bow to whatever he wants are nearly as bad as each other.

Well, I was thinking more along the lines of Cowell being disappointed that he'd not be able to make a fortune out of Malakai, because if he broke down in front of the judges, what would he be like on tour/in front of another audience?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, I was thinking more along the lines of Cowell being disappointed that he'd not be able to make a fortune out of Malakai, because if he broke down in front of the judges, what would he be like on tour/in front of another audience?

Cowell proved in the editing of his show that he is quite happy to sink to rock bottom - and if Malaki crying is part of that act, I'm sure he won't have any qualms ...
  • kleinzachkleinzach Posts: 994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    grimtales1 wrote: »
    Interesting, if he sang a second song which had all the applause, why didnt they show him singing that? Why show him singing the first song again?

Damned if they do and damned if they don't. Lots of posters on here would have moaned if they had shown him singing another song. You'd have heard the cries of "set-up!" the other side of the world.
  • tawetawe Posts: 570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Was the kid dragged kicking and screaming onto the stage ....NO!!!! . He probably was the one who told his mum he wanted to go on there in the first place.. lots of people get stage fright but it doesnt stop them from doing something they love.. give the kid a break and stop blowing it up into something all out of proportion , the kid was obviously as happy as larry going home which you can clearly see him skipping up the road
    FFS some people just go on and on and on .:yawn: its over and done with .kid went home happy now move on