Options

Just bought a laptop without an Operating System

Comments

• Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    TheBigM wrote: »
    I could understand recommending 7, in no way could I understand recommending XP - an 11 year old system that is soon to run out of any kind of support.

The only time I'd recommend XP these days is if the user has a really old PC that's still working but won't run anything newer. Otherwise it's W7/Mac/a Linux distro all the way. Oh and no Vista :D The only thing my dad would recommend in connection with Vista is a 14 pound sledgehammer :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stig wrote: »
    So what's it? A private sale of an old PC, a refurb off eBay?

http://www.schtrade.co.uk/grade-b-1/?sort=featured
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did own a Laptop with Vista on it & got rid of it after 3 months as it was totally un-user friendly.

Aprreciate the help so far - bit of an eye opener. Thought it was just a matter of whacking in a CD/DVD and 'Robert's your uncle'!
  • Options
    whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is just whack in a DVD, but its just choosing which one. Theres a lot of choice.

Which software do you need to be able to run on it? I would try a linux distro as a play around if i were you. Try out
    http://linuxmint.com/
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is just whack in a DVD, but its just choosing which one. Theres a lot of choice.

Which software do you need to be able to run on it? I would try a linux distro as a play around if i were you. Try out
    http://linuxmint.com/

Sadly it will be used by my kids aswell who will insist on a Windows based OP
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Have a quick scan of some videos of linux mint. It might even appeal to them.

They can still do everything on facebook and youtube :D

The main thing thats lacking is gaming though.
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If Vista is a no-no then there is no issue really, just get XP off Ebay. It's the cheapest option.

But then the SATA issue arises, XP probably won't install without some extra work.

I don't know for sure so best ask on an HP support site, probably revolves around SATA Native Support being disabled first then:

Install Win XP (check boot order is Optical Drive first)

Install SATA drivers for Windows XP

Turn on SATA Native Support again (in the BIOS)

But best check with those who really know.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tassium wrote: »
    If Vista is a no-no then there is no issue really, just get XP off Ebay. It's the cheapest option.

But then the SATA issue arises, XP probably won't install without some extra work.

I don't know for sure so best ask on an HP support site, probably revolves around SATA Native Support being disabled first then:

Whats wrong with W7? :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whats wrong with W7? :confused:

The price. The laptop was about £100 so I just assumed the OP wanted the cheapest option.

W7 will be trivial to install of course, is it about £70?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The price. The laptop was about £100 so I just assumed the OP wanted the cheapest option.

W7 will be trivial to install of course, is it about £70?

Ah, very good point.
  • Options
    ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Tell them Linux is cooler than Windows and that they'll be in an elite minority.:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ironjade wrote: »
    Tell them Linux is cooler than Windows and that they'll be in an elite minority.:)

Majority wins at their age!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Incidentally if the Recovery partition is not on the machine and the OP wishes to install XP..

It might be a bit tricky since XP does not have the necessary SATA (hard drive) drivers on it's installation disks.

There are two ways around this however. But best wait until the machine turns up.

After all, a properly licensed Vista OS is all right for free. Vista can be tweaked to be quick and speedy and 2GB is enough mem for it.

XP will likely cost around £20 on Ebay otherwise.

Are these what I am looking for?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Microsoft-Windows-XP-Home-Edition-Upgrade-Version-2002-/160890747988?pt=UK_Computing_Software_Software_SR&hash=item2575d5fc54#ht_500wt_949

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Windows-XP-Professional-Full-Retail-Version-/320992680411?pt=UK_Computing_Software_Software_SR&hash=item4abca799db#ht_500wt_949
  • Options
    StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Windows 7 would be so much better if you can afford it...
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,857
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DJGM wrote: »
    Except that Linux Mint is a better distro than Ubuntu these days, since it's more user friendly for novices, and the version
    that I linked to in my earlier message uses the MATE desktop environment, which maintains a very Windows like layout.

The default GNOME 3 layout in Ubuntu is a hybrid mess of GUI styles combining elements of Android with a bit of OS X,
    with the resulting GUI looking more like it should be running on a tablet device, rather than a desktop or a laptop.

Agree with you, Saying that it depends on what the Op wants from his laptop, if just for browsing the net, doing a bit of word processing, then it is fine. the one problem is if the Op wants to watch something like Lovefilm or netflicks, silverlight videos don't work on Linux.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The FULL version of Windows XP is needed.

This one you linked to looks fine.

Windows XP Professional - Full Retail Version

But a FULL version of XP Home will be ok as well.

You don't want an upgrade, "upgrade" means there is already a Windows OS installed. And there isn't.
  • Options
    ZenithZenith Posts: 3,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It does say "Original OEM : Window Vista Business", but doesn't say whether a COA sticker comes with it.
  • Options
    ZenithZenith Posts: 3,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

A week ago I installed XP Home on a similar spec laptop (Advent 8111). I didn't even think about SATA not being supported. Had no problems whatsoever.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zenith wrote: »
    A week ago I installed XP Home on a similar spec laptop (Advent 8111). I didn't even think about SATA not being supported. Had no problems whatsoever.

Just reading around and it seems some people can install OK and some cannot.

I think it depends on the SATA chipset in the laptop.

And maybe SP3 of WIndows XP installation disk has more/better drivers?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cheers to all!
  • Options
    Esot-ericEsot-eric Posts: 1,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just reading around and it seems some people can install OK and some cannot.

I think it depends on the SATA chipset in the laptop.

And maybe SP3 of WIndows XP installation disk has more/better drivers?

On those machines it installed on correctly the BIOS was likely set to compatibility mode, which basically makes SATA look like an old-style PATA drive.

AFAIK even WinXP SP3 doesn't include any SATA drivers, but you can whip up your own install disc by slip-streaming some in there.

I agree with the other posters suggesting to at least try Linux Mint before buying an XP license/disc. It can be downloaded and tried out without delay, and may just save the OP a few quid. The worst that can happen is the OP doesn't like it and then buys Windows, so why not give it a try?
  • Options
    neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    c4rv wrote: »
    why ? Windows 8 is designed for touch screen.

OP - Your specification looks fine for Win7 as long as you aren't doing anything too heavy duty on it.

No, your wrong, its an operating system that works with touch screens + keyboards + mouse.

XP is fine but support for it is stopping so really I'd opt for Windows 7 or 8 and 1-2 extra Gb of ram would be nice
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok, no disc arrived with it. Just the laptop. When powered up, get a screen with lots of spec/data etc etc

There is a Vista sticker on it and on the base there is a Vista Business sticker with Certificate of Authenticity on it with a longish serial number
  • Options
    MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So its got a vista license, so just get a copy of the disk needed and slap it on
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To find out if there is Vista hidden on the hard drive:

With the machine off, press power on (and release) then press F11 (I think) and keep holding it down.

If F11 is the correct key and there is a hidden OS on the hard drive then a message like "HP/Compaq System Recovery" will appear.

Is Vista that terrible an OS? I have never used it.