Options

Little Mix - Secret Love Song part 2

Comments

• Options
    casualviewercasualviewer Posts: 31,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    @LittleMix
    Gonna be making a special announcement tonight on stage at the #CapitalJBB...make sure you tune in!! 👀 The Girls xx

Earlier they said they had a "secret" surprise. Supposedly Derulo said he would be on twice tonight at JBB, so this may be the debut. He's on now, dont know when their set is.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    @CapitalOfficial 5m
    .@LittleMix have just announced on stage that their next single is Secret Love Song! 😬http://capitalfm.co/JBB2015 #CapitalJBB

@CapitalOfficial
    OMG @JasonDerulo has just joined @LittleMix on stage during Secret Love Song 😍 #CapitalJBB

So fans of both versions will be hearing this since they'll have to do Part 2 when he isnt around. As someone who normally doesnt like their ballads, I think this is a really good choice.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    @LittleMix 8m
    We're SO excited that #SecretLoveSong feat @JasonDerulo will be our new UK & Ireland single! BUZZING 👏🏽😁 The Girls x

Unless there's some secret long game planned, I cant explain this.
  • Options
    HitstasticHitstastic Posts: 8,634
    Forum Member
    I interpret that as Little Mix will be promoting Secret Love Song in the UK & Ireland.

So perhaps all that TV promo they've got lined up in the coming fortnight will be dedicated to Secret Love Song. I hope they can get a music video out there to build on the momentum.

As soon as I heard the song, it screamed hit single so whoever is choosing the singles for this era is doing a marvellous job. :D
  • Options
    mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hitstastic wrote: »
    I interpret that as Little Mix will be promoting Secret Love Song in the UK & Ireland.

So perhaps all that TV promo they've got lined up in the coming fortnight will be dedicated to Secret Love Song. I hope they can get a music video out there to build on the momentum.

As soon as I heard the song, it screamed hit single so whoever is choosing the singles for this era is doing a marvellous job. :D

Yes, it does sound like a hit single. It may be good timing with Adele balladeering being to the fore. I prefer the girls version but having Derulo on the record may help sales?
    I actually like that the girls version has a little less harmonising and features the girls one after another. The Temptations used to do that really well.
  • Options
    ShowbizLoverShowbizLover Posts: 676
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fans should never be allowed to choose what tracks off albums become singles because it almost always backfires.

For eg; Girls Aloud fans went out in force wanting the record company to release Untouchable as a single. Their voices were heard, and a single mix was made especially for the fans............and it missed the top 10. It was the first Girls Aloud single to miss the top 10 at that point.

Iirc, Catatonia asked their fans what to release as the second single from their 1999 album Equally Cursed And Blessed after lead single Dead From The Waste Down made the UK top 10. The fans chose Londinium which made #20 (and I suspect the record label were expecting another top 10 hit as, after all, the fans chose the single).

So OMG should definitely NOT be a single. The Salute obsessives just need to get over their fascination for edgey RnB pop. Leave that to the American pop groups like Fifth Harmony. OMG, as a single, wouldn't help sell the album. It's very much an album track imo that will only appeal to a minority group (i.e. the ones saying it should be a single). Secret Love Song would be the perfect third single. It's radio friendly and sounds like the type of song that would reach a wider audience in the same way Black Magic and Love Me Like You have done.

Lets not compare GA and LM. Firstly, I think LM have more of a mature fan base due to their style of music.

Secondly, only 1/5 (maybe 2/5) could just about sing a note in tune. Cheryl can dance but Jesy/Jade will blow her out the water anyday with their dancing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Video of their SLS performance on Capital's channel
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gk7Yboc42T0

Hits, the tv promo is already proscribed to LMLY. Its been announced already. I think they wont send to radio until after the holiday since the playlists get frozen anyway and no one is around (traveling) so anything before the New Year would be a total waste.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lets not compare GA and LM. Firstly, I think LM have more of a mature fan base due to their style of music.

Secondly, only 1/5 (maybe 2/5) could just about sing a note in tune. Cheryl can dance but Jesy/Jade will blow her out the water anyday with their dancing.

Nadine and Nicola could both sing in GA (2/5). Nicola has worked with LM and she also produced one of the best albums of the last 5 years, 'Cinderella's Eyes'. Also GA produced at least two singles 'Sound of the Underground' and 'Biology' that would stand comparison with any of LM's songs.

LM are better singers and show more promise. This forthcoming single with Derulo sounds brilliant. Actually the version without Derulo sounds even better.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I wonder if for UK chart purposes, when Little Mix release Secret Love Song, if both versions got cherry picked from the album on iTunes and both versions went top 20, would the Official Charts Company combine the sales of both versions to give the single a boost up the chart?

It's happened a few times over the years.

Adele - Someone Like You (album version & Brits version combined)
    Cheryl - I Don't Care (radio version & explicit version combined)
    Cee Lo Green - Forget You! (radio version & explicit version combined)

...and an odd one.

Baddiel, Skinner & The Lightning Seeds - Three Lions (sales of the 1996 & 1998 versions combined thus being recognised as a million seller when both versions had slightly different lyrics).

So if the above examples could get combined for the chart, then the OCC should do the same with Secret Love Song.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Capital reloaded the video of the performance with the correct song title
    Secret Love Song
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=1DK2H53k4lo
    Lets not compare GA and LM.
    Since Hitstastic was only using a comparison to illustrate fanbase single requests and not vocal ability this is a non debate.

As far as charting combinations, wouldnt this song be more comparable to one with and without a featured rapper? I dont think those are combined since one version has a different artist on it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    As far as charting combinations, wouldnt this song be more comparable to one with and without a featured rapper? I dont think those are combined since one version has a different artist on it.

I'm listening to the Pt II version at the moment, and that chorus really gives me goosebumps.

It would be a shame if this didn't do well in the charts as it's a cracking pop song. I like this more than Love Me Like You, but overall I really like that we've now had three singles in a row where each one showcases a different style and character.

Like I've posted in the past, it might not make for a cohesive album but does that really matter if the songs on the album are all very good?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IMO the album is doing well as a crossover because its not beats driven, but more melodic. This shows off their voices better plus I think appeals to over 25s. SLS is the first ballad of theirs for me that I like the melody. I dont care what subgenre they choose for future music but I hope they do more songs with strong melody lines.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm listening to the Pt II version at the moment, and that chorus really gives me goosebumps.

It would be a shame if this didn't do well in the charts as it's a cracking pop song. I like this more than Love Me Like You, but overall I really like that we've now had three singles in a row where each one showcases a different style and character.

Like I've posted in the past, it might not make for a cohesive album but does that really matter if the songs on the album are all very good?

Listeners cherry pick music so much these days I wonder if it matters how cohesive an album is?
    I guess a group called Little Mix producing an album of allsorts is quite appropriate!
  • Options
    ScottishWoodyScottishWoody Posts: 23,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Capital reloaded the video of the performance with the correct song title
    Secret Love Song
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=1DK2H53k4lo

Since Hitstastic was only using a comparison to illustrate fanbase single requests and not vocal ability this is a non debate.

Wow, Perrie's vocals are outstanding!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The fans have been up in arms at the "single for the UK/IRE" announcement, but the video has 249,443 views and the song is #108 on iTunes all on word of mouth. Some of us think that the team is avoiding conflict with Derulo's new single and will release the song WW when the girls have time to promote it properly. Its a good sign its generating so much interest already.
  • Options
    scratchy23scratchy23 Posts: 3,675
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if for UK chart purposes, when Little Mix release Secret Love Song, if both versions got cherry picked from the album on iTunes and both versions went top 20, would the Official Charts Company combine the sales of both versions to give the single a boost up the chart?

It's happened a few times over the years.

Adele - Someone Like You (album version & Brits version combined)
    Cheryl - I Don't Care (radio version & explicit version combined)
    Cee Lo Green - Forget You! (radio version & explicit version combined)

...and an odd one.

Baddiel, Skinner & The Lightning Seeds - Three Lions (sales of the 1996 & 1998 versions combined thus being recognised as a million seller when both versions had slightly different lyrics).

So if the above examples could get combined for the chart, then the OCC should do the same with Secret Love Song.

True, but Sam Smith's Lay Me Down charted twice - once solo, and the other with John Legend. I don't understand what the rules are.
  • Options
    ShowbizLoverShowbizLover Posts: 676
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wow, Perrie's vocals are outstanding!

They are indeed.

Although Jade's part is too short - she by far has the most consistent and best voice IMO.

She is an rounder in terms of singing, dancing, song writing and being business minded as she is.

But I love them all equally and they have really come into their own from X Factor day. Can we just take a moment to appreciate LA's incredible vocals on this live performance too and her vocals on Love Me or Leave Me are just incredible.
  • Options
    cashloot147cashloot147 Posts: 609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They are indeed.

Although Jade's part is too short - she by far has the most consistent and best voice IMO.

She is an rounder in terms of singing, dancing, song writing and being business minded as she is.

But I love them all equally and they have really come into their own from X Factor day. Can we just take a moment to appreciate LA's incredible vocals on this live performance too and her vocals on Love Me or Leave Me are just incredible.

This song has really showcased how talented all of them are but, admittedly, it was Leanne who shocked me. She has a good voice but has always been overshadowed by the powerhouses around her. But she certainly stands with them on SLS and LMOLM.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is anybody hearing the SLS I version on the radio? I read that Capital has been playing it as part of the Jingle Bell Ball highlights. The song is still #109 on iTunes thru word of mouth.

The video has 382,541 views, and thats after losing 50k from the first upload being wiped out.
    Nissl wrote: »
    Video casting, shoot on the 16th. Looks like they are following 4 couples, straight, gay, interracial, and Derulo.
    http://www.stomp-models.com/little-mix-featuring-justin-derulo-music-video/
    Derulo shot his bits yesterday.
    https://twitter.com/LM_Promo_News/status/674343750173376512
    https://twitter.com/LM_Promo_News/status/674344603668058112
  • Options
    Forum Member
    What actually happened on Capital's YouTube channel? Did Little Mix perform both versions, and they uploaded the version without Jason Derulo at first?

Anyways, Secret Love Song to become a top 10 hit in January time would be great. I think Love Me Like You is still doing well in terms of airplay so it's managing to stay high up the charts despite its #13 peak.

The UK charts have become so weird now that even songs that miss the top 10 seem like bigger hits than the peak suggests purely because streaming has slowed down the pace inside the top 10.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Capital uploaded the raw live performance but with the wrong title of Part 2. Then they wiped it out and put up a sweetened version with stronger mic feed and we suspect some pitch correction of Leigh, Perrie and Jason and cutting off part of Jesy's opening.

Here's a fan video with the raw vocals, which are fine from all 5.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aXTMdrni88

LM are on the XF this weekend with Fleur East.

The Larry Stylinson cult has taken up SLS Part 2 as part of their cause.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    16 hours ago on iTunes

195 Little Mix Secret Love Song (feat. Jason Derulo)
    704 Little Mix Secret Love Song, Pt. II
    1319 Little Mix Secret Love Song (feat. Jason Derulo)

Capital FM began playing it overnight. Its now #98.

The bulk of the video was shot last night at Tower Bridge (Derulo did his shoot last week).
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CWbPrTEWoAAdE2k.jpg
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SLS has been played on Capital and R1 even gave it a spin today. Its now at #76 on iTunes.

Also, the guy who was cast as Derulo's body double got mistaken for Perrie's new romantic interest by the DM. *rollseyes*
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Daily Mail are about as useful as a soggy biscuit. :D
  • Options
    MattehhhftwMattehhhftw Posts: 8,688
    Forum Member
    I agree with you OP, as a gay man too I totally get what you said