Maybe looking at getting new tablet to replace my Nexus 7 2012 modal.

2»

Comments

• alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    len112 wrote: »
    I downgraded my useless 2012 Nexus back to Kit Kat and it's now useable again , don't know anything about Cyanogenmod or where to get it , what's the advantage over Kit Kat ?

Usually runs quicker and is more customisable
  • neyney Posts: 12,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I take the plunge and have replaced my Nexus 7 2012 that has been playing up for the last few months with the IPad mini 4 that will arrive by Tuesday.

Darren
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My new IPad mini 4 64GB with case arrived the day and after 10 mins or so setting it up after work and It updading to IOS 9.2.
    I so far seem to like it.
    Its going to take me a good few days to get used to it I think as I have not really used Apple before.
    The screen protector I ordered from Amazon for it is being sent back as its crap and I'm having to order another type of screen protector for it.
    The screen on the IPad min 4 looks far better than was on my old Nexus 7 2012 model.
    Also I think by looking at both my sisters IPad and my new one there is not really that much difference from my new IPad mini 4 than my sisters IPad mini 2 apart from mine is 64GB Wi-Fi only and hers is the 32GB + cellular mini 2.
    Will now look at getting a new mobile at some point this year to replace my Nexus 4 that will be 3 years old come July.

Darren
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ney wrote: »
    My new IPad mini 4 64GB with case arrived the day and after 10 mins or so setting it up after work and It updading to IOS 9.2.
    I so far seem to like it.
    Its going to take me a good few days to get used to it I think as I have not really used Apple before.
    The screen protector I ordered from Amazon for it is being sent back as its crap and I'm having to order another type of screen protector for it.
    The screen on the IPad min 4 looks far better than was on my old Nexus 7 2012 model.
    Also I think by looking at both my sisters IPad and my new one there is not really that much difference from my new IPad mini 4 than my sisters IPad mini 2 apart from mine is 64GB Wi-Fi only and hers is the 32GB + cellular mini 2.
    Will now look at getting a new mobile at some point this year to replace my Nexus 4 that will be 3 years old come July.

Darren
    Unless you are incredibly careless you don't need a screen protector. They ruin the lovely clear screen. Just get a decent case.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stig wrote: »
    Unless you are incredibly careless you don't need a screen protector. They ruin the lovely clear screen. Just get a decent case.

Got a case for it from Currys as part of my order and it came with a new cleaning cloth for the screen inside the case. My sister has a screen protector for her IPad mini 2.
    This is the case I got http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing-accessories/computer-accessories/tablet-accessories/tablet-cases-and-keyboards/apple-smart-ipad-mini-4-cover-charcoal-grey-10138794-pdt.html
    It got a clear plastic type back so you can still see the Apple logo.

Darren
  • jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    £28 for a cover? Ouch!

I'd recommend only glass screen protectors, not film which is always hard to apply and really does ruin the screen. Glass ones are dead easy to apply and are nice and clear.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jonmorris wrote: »
    £28 for a cover? Ouch!

I'd recommend only glass screen protectors, not film which is always hard to apply and really does ruin the screen. Glass ones are dead easy to apply and are nice and clear.

The glass screen protector I got from Amazon started to crack when I was trying to put it on this evening so I'm now having to send it back.

Darren
  • jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You do have to be very careful with tablet ones, as they are glass after all. There's a lot more surface area and so more scope to bend and crack/snap.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You do have to be very careful with tablet ones, as they are glass after all. There's a lot more surface area and so more scope to bend and crack/snap.

Thanks for the advice.

Darren
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I got my iPad mini 2 on launch day in November 2013, and I've used it every day since, and it's gone everywhere with me. I just looked carefully again now, and there isn't a single mark on the screen.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm sort of glad I now payed the little extra and get the IPad mini 4 like my sister told me to get.
    I downloaded a free 9.2 user guide last night to the IPad and been reading some of that.
    Been also using the BT TV Everywhere and the Yahoo Weather apps on the IPad Mini 4.
    I have reset my old Nexus 7 2012 modal and deleted all on it and was thinking of giving it to my sisters friend even if it only lasts her a few months before it starts to play up again.
    Was thinking of getting one of the new Nexus smartphones that came out since November as I love my Nexus 4 but not I'm not sure if to get an IPhone or not. I still got £160 saved towards a new phone as I used the other half toward the IPad Mini 4 and have about £13 of o2 rewards credits saved that I can also use towards a new phone.

Darren
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm sort of glad I now payed the little extra and get the IPad mini 4 like my sister told me to get.
    I downloaded a free 9.2 user guide last night to the IPad and been reading some of that.
    Been also using the BT TV Everywhere and the Yahoo Weather apps on the IPad Mini 4.
    I have reset my old Nexus 7 2012 modal and deleted all on it and was thinking of giving it to my sisters friend even if it only lasts her a few months before it starts to play up again.
    Was thinking of getting one of the new Nexus smartphones that came out since November as I love my Nexus 4 but not I'm not sure if to get an IPhone or not. I still got £160 saved towards a new phone as I used the other half toward the IPad Mini 4 and have about £13 of o2 rewards credits saved that I can also use towards a new phone.

Darren
    Having both an iPad and an iPhone is a great combination, as you can share apps, Messaging, FaceTime etc.
  • Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stig wrote: »
    Having both an iPad and an iPhone is a great combination, as you can share apps, Messaging, FaceTime etc.

I agree. I have an iPad and iPhone and it's great because everything syncs across both devices, like music, photos, notes etc and you can even make and receive calls on your iPad and send messages.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Will have a rethink about what phone to get. My Nexus 4 still works 98% of the time just once in a while it seems to crash and will be 3 years old com July. I have like the Nexus 4.
    I am starting to like the IPad mini 4 and will have had it just under a week now.

Darren
  • neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes as you say its mad Google hasn't brought out a Nexus 7 repacement by now. I still use my Nexus 7 2012 model but no longer use it everyday due to the problems I have started getting with it in the last few months as I posted above.
    The Nexus 2013 model dose sound tempting if I could get it cheap but think as I got nearly £300 saved up for a new phone to replace my Nexus 4 I will use half of the nearly £300 I got saved towards a new tablet and keep the rest for a new phone that I will also be needing sometime next year.
    I see QVC are no longer offering the IPad Mini with 4 easy payments.
    I don't fancy getting a 10 inch tablet.
    My sister and one other person keeps saying I should get an IPad Mini but I have always been a fan of Android.

Darren

Darren you said you don't fancy a 10" but you can pick up up a Surface Pro 3 pretty cheap now the Pro 4 is out, honestly, they are well worth looking at, they are Windows based but a cracking bit of equipment. I have a 4 but was well happy with a 3.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    neo_wales wrote: »
    Darren you said you don't fancy a 10" but you can pick up up a Surface Pro 3 pretty cheap now the Pro 4 is out, honestly, they are well worth looking at, they are Windows based but a cracking bit of equipment. I have a 4 but was well happy with a 3.

Windows based tablets maybe ok for some and as you say are now at a good price but are no good for the like of me as the Windows App Store still don't offer some of the apps that I use like the Youview app and now and again the BT TV Everywhere app.
    That's why I will not be looking at getting Windows OS phone when I get a new phone sometime this year.
    Anyway I'm now happy I payed a little extra like I was told to do and got the IPad Mini 4 64gb wi-if version.
    Have had the IPad Mini 4 just over a week now.

Darren