The last ship- season 1 (US pace)

Comments

• Options
    plateletplatelet Posts: 26,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ironjade wrote: »
    BSG on a boat?:)

In a nutshell yes, but with marginally better acting, marginally worse special effects

Strangely enjoyable summer fodder though, I'll stick with it for a while
  • Options
    ShadoutShadout Posts: 1,000
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ironjade wrote: »
    BSG on a boat?:)

If it results in Tricia Helfer and James Callis being on our screens again then I'll be more than happy with it!

Aside from the obvious difference of being above water rather than below it, I can't see too much that sets this apart from Last Resort, which came and went in the blink of a network executives eye a couple of years ago. Hopefully this one won't be so short-lived, I do have a penchant for formulaic, trope-filled nonsense in my viewing schedule!
  • Options
    plateletplatelet Posts: 26,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shadout wrote: »
    If it results in Tricia Helfer and James Callis being on our screens again then I'll be more than happy with it!

Aside from the obvious difference of being above water rather than below it, I can't see too much that sets this apart from Last Resort

I think Last Resort tried a lot harder to be clever - though I never watched past the pilot
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    platelet wrote: »
    I think Last Resort tried a lot harder to be clever - though I never watched past the pilot

You could well be right there, Ship seems so far to have the right balance between serious and silly, whereas Resort seemed to be going for just the serious approach.
  • Options
    big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Enjoyed it. The budget looks big too.
  • Options
    Dare_AllanDare_Allan Posts: 2,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zwixxx wrote: »
    btw: when the Russians were attacking the ship I did like how they used every different type of weapon they could to shoot them down, cos just using one would be boring eh ?!

This scene was beyond ridiculous.

An Arleigh Burke Class guided missile destroyer wouldn't see any hostile get within 10km if using missiles or 2km if sticking to its autocannon. Even at the range the choppers got to, the Phalanx CIWS would take all three out in less than 15 seconds.

Although the real suspension of disbelief was the idea you can hit anything at that close range with a 5 inch naval gun.
  • Options
    TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Where are all the missile subs?.

Also, thinking back, they took a load of food from the cruise liner. How could you decontaminate it adequately, as they had no idea the lifespan of the virus?....

Also, they may have been under radio silence, but that never means not listening to radio broadcasts and satellite feeds.

Still, I enjoyed it for its silliness more than the subject matter.
  • Options
    TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    platelet wrote: »

I managed to watch the first 3 eps of Last Resort, but couldn't face any more...
  • Options
    zwixxxzwixxx Posts: 10,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tourista wrote: »
    Also, thinking back, they took a load of food from the cruise liner. How could you decontaminate it adequately, as they had no idea the lifespan of the virus?....
    just spray it with Febreeze and that should do the trick :p

btw: ordering that just-infected chap to "not shoot himself" was kinda "huh?!". Did the Captain REALLY want the guy to die a lingering and horrific death :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dare_Allan wrote: »
    This scene was beyond ridiculous.

An Arleigh Burke Class guided missile destroyer wouldn't see any hostile get within 10km if using missiles or 2km if sticking to its autocannon. Even at the range the choppers got to, the Phalanx CIWS would take all three out in less than 15 seconds.

Although the real suspension of disbelief was the idea you can hit anything at that close range with a 5 inch naval gun.

It's not impossible. I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back home...
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    A 'ship in a bottle' episode today. Nothing really happened to advance the story, but OK if you like action for action sake.
  • Options
    StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was all a bit silly and cheesy - I groaned when I saw the dog and fully expect them to pick up a cute child before the end of season 2 - but it was watchable nonsense. Loads of 'wait..why?' moments - as mentioned up thread, the non-decontaminated food, trying to stop the guy killing himself, the dog, incorrect protocols, insufficient protective clothing in sub-zero temperatures, insufficient safety working with a deadly virus in a helicopter bay, nuking France for no good reason....well, OK I'll give them the last one ;)

I'll give it a couple more episodes. It could turn into a 'so bad its good' a la Falling Skies or it could just be pants. Either way, I don't think it will be cutting edge drama.
  • Options
    Sniffle774Sniffle774 Posts: 20,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like it. Its not the greatest drama ever but for a "park myself on the sofa, slip the brain into neutral" show its entertaining enough. Doesn't take itself too serious which is just as well. I'm sticking with this for now.
  • Options
    caz06caz06 Posts: 849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm really enjoying it, reminds me a lot like helix and I loved helix so i'll be sticking with this show, this is gonna become my summer season show before the shows restart in the fall! :D
  • Options
    Flash525Flash525 Posts: 8,862
    Forum Member
    caz06 wrote: »
    I'm really enjoying it, reminds me a lot like helix and I loved helix so i'll be sticking with this show, this is gonna become my summer season show before the shows restart in the fall!
    Next thing you know, an organization run by immortals will turn out to be the ones who created the virus. :p
  • Options
    LardnessLardness Posts: 709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love apocalyptic-based shows.

But this was a big pile of dog's whatsit.

I know a bit (well, a lot really) about warships & their crews & there were so, so many professional & technical errors that it became unwatchable.

"Those aren't ours"....so easy & relatively cheap to use CG for aircraft, why couldn't they actually depict Russian helicopters, rather than the US kit they showed.

Technical stuff aside, the dialogue was cheesy & cliched....and why did the gitmo detainees all wear Arabic clothing/headgear?.....they'd been in detention for years.

Won't be watching any more eps
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well episode 2 wasn't any better. The script was truly awful - almost a spoof. The story tired and predictable. The technical gaffs were legion. And there was a disturbingly jingoistic undertone.

At least they've picked up the cocky outsider to be the light relief and alternative POV for the captain. I just wonder if he'll butt heads with the XO (this is why we still need a roll eyes smilie)

I'll give it one more episode but unless it hurries up and gets to 'so bad its good' territory soon - and loses the 'Team USA' vibe - I'm out.
  • Options
    petelypetely Posts: 2,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll give it one more episode but unless it hurries up and gets to 'so bad its good' territory soon - and loses the 'Team USA' vibe - I'm out.
    Oh I don't think there's any chance of that.
    The deal seems to be that the US military lets their ships/planes/people/bases be used for "this sort" of show so long as they all come across as square-jawed Captain America types.
    So it's inevitable that the baddies will be foreigners (and the brits: duplicitous) and other un-american types. After all, these shows are nothing if there's nobody to shoot at.

But the show really is a stinker. The writers just seem to have collected together all the military/action cliches they could think of and tossed in some clipped "OMG we're all gonna die ... not if I can help it, sailor" dialog.

Apart from all the other howlers, let's talk about the dog for a moment. In ep #2 super-doctor-lady goes to great lengths to explain that dogs are immune to the virus, but could still carry it. A couple of minutes later, all the suited up boarding party are taking ... yes, you guessed it: the dog :o through the infected hospital, stepping over corpses.
    How much worse can it get?
  • Options
    T.K.T.K. Posts: 19,502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Action wise - I did like the second episode despite the stereotypical Arab terrorists. It was enjoyable enough and executed pretty well. So no complaints there.

However, did they really need to insert the line, "We don't negotiate with terrorists!"? and did they really need to deliver it in such a cringeworthy way during an action scene? It was so groan-inducing and I couldn't help but roll my eyes. I'm sure I wasn't the only one who said the line out loud before Captain Badass could deliver it in full macho mode. One of the most predictable lines in US cinema.

Anyway, that said, I quite liked the twist with the British ship turning out to be a Russian ship on their tail, even if the twist might have been expected by some viewers. This is very much playing out like 'BSG on a ship' with the Russians playing the role of the Cylons (obviously not on the same level in terms of quality). I won't be surprised to learn that the Russians were involved in artificially altering the virus that caused the global pandemic and now want the vaccine to clean up the mess they made.

Character wise - all of them are still 1-dimensional cardboard cutouts and the actors who play them aren't the greatest (Adam Baldwin is adequate enough in his role). I'm not invested in any of them and that irritates me. Can't even remember the names of the characters (except one or two), that says it all. They need to start developing the characters in Episode 3.
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Action wise a good episode but it is still too much about the little things rather than about the big picture. A whole episode about having to escape from the port because of a Russian ship.

I knew the French nuke was about stopping the ship from getting supplies and resources from the French and now we know who fired it.

They need to show us more of the devastated world, as I just feel showing us Ship action is more about the budget than story telling.
  • Options
    sweetazkandisweetazkandi Posts: 2,568
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really want to like this a I love the genre but I'm struggling with them being on the ship all this time. I am hoping they're going to venture on to land very VERY soon or it's going to get extremely boring.
  • Options
    TiexenTiexen Posts: 602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really want to like this a I love the genre but I'm struggling with them being on the ship all this time. I am hoping they're going to venture on to land very VERY soon or it's going to get extremely boring.

They were on land - Cuba
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Didn't even make it to the end of the episode :(

I'll give it another try at the week-end - only got about 10 minutes left to watch. But I presume they escaped.
  • Options
    BesterBester Posts: 9,698
    Forum Member
    7/10 show so far for me.

Has potential, a decent concept, a good cast, but far from hitting its stride yet.
  • Options
    Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's far from great, but I'm enjoying it for what it is.