Options

low fat cooking/cookbooks

blossom24blossom24 Posts: 411
Forum Member
my husband has just come out of hospital after being diagnosed with gallstones (very painful):eek: and needs to go on a low fat diet to avoid more flair ups and also to lose weight so that he can have the operation to remove his gall bladder.
Can anyone suggest a good low fat cook book please?
Thanks for any help. x

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,577
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    blossom24 wrote: »
    my husband has just come out of hospital after being diagnosed with gallstones (very painful):eek: and needs to go on a low fat diet to avoid more flair ups and also to lose weight so that he can have the operation to remove his gall bladder.
    Can anyone suggest a good low fat cook book please?
    Thanks for any help. x

I lost over 4.5 stone by following the Rosemary Conley diet which is based on low fat foods less than 5% total fat per 100g. IIRC she started the diet after being in hospital for gallstones. Her website has lots of recipes and she also has various books with different meal plans as well as a monthly magazine.

Hope that helps
  • Options
    SeasideLadySeasideLady Posts: 20,776
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Weightwatchers have published some decent cookery books, full of easy family fare etc. I borrowed mine from the local library cookery section.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thank you both, I will have a look at both of these. x
    Tumbleflumps did it take you long to lose the weight? my husband needs to lose 4 stone so I'm curious to know how long it took! x
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,577
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    blossom24 wrote: »
    Thank you both, I will have a look at both of these. x
    Tumbleflumps did it take you long to lose the weight? my husband needs to lose 4 stone so I'm curious to know how long it took! x

I started mid-Jan 08 and met my target about mid-Dec the same year. I was quite strict with myself although did allow a few treats here and there!! Am still maintaining by continuing following the "diet" (although I found it more of a lifestyle change) and going to classes every week to get weighed and for the exercise. Some people find it hard as there is a lot to cut out but once you get used to knowing what you can and can't eat, then its okay. There are some low-fat alternatives out there and I can still eat some of my favourite foods, just a lower fat version. I was shocked when I started reading and understanding the food labels just how bad some foods were and can see how easy it is for people to put on weight.

You're more than welcome to PM me whenever if you need any help or have any questions x
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 376
    Forum Member
    I swear by Readers Digest No Fat/Low Fat cookbook. Got my copy a few years ago tho, not sure if it's still in print - but there are some lovely recipes, so worth trying to get your mitts on it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21
    Forum Member
    I'd agree, the WW books are pretty good. I lost 5 stone in around 10 months with WW about 3 years ago and have managed to maintain the loss. It has involved a complete change of lifestyle, lots more fruit and veg,smaller protions, leaner cuts that kind of thing as well as regular exercise.

TBH I steer clear of low fat products a lot of the time as they are often heavy on the sugar to compensate but they can be useful sometimes.

Good luck!:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd agree with the posters who say that any book by Rosemary Conley is your way to go - as she is the 'low fat queen' really.

Other than that, if you or your hubby like Italian food, the new 'diet' book Gina Di Campo has out could be worth a look? I'd like that book, :o as Italian is my fave food. :)

I still do Weightwatchers myself - 2 and a half pound loss this week! Woohoo! :p (and over a stone and a half so far....but I wouldn't say it's a quick option to choose as for me it's taken quite a while - I just bloody love food too much!)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks everybody for your advice. I can see I've got a lot of reading to do! You've all got incredible "will power" to lose the weight that you have, hope it rubs off onto my hubbie! lol
    Thanks Tumbleflumps, you'll be hearing from me!!!:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I finally bought the rosemary conley low fat cook book and her inch lose plan and so far my husband has lost 1stone 6lbs amazing!!! I have also lost half a stone which I needed to do but also we have both lost inches from all over.
    I am really impressed with the diet which proves that you can enjoy tastey food without the fat.
    Thanks for the advise everyone x
  • Options
    chitariverachitarivera Posts: 36,905
    Forum Member
    I've recently looked at a few low fat recipes and just wondered if anyone could advise on spreads?

The recipes say stuff like 'sunflower' spread rather than butter when baking cakes or cookies.

Is there anyone out there who has experimented successfully with low fat spreads in baking who can recommend which one is best to buy, please?

I currently eat Pro - Activ [buttery taste] spread for every day eating, to help keep down cholesterol levels but have never used it in baking.

Can anyone advise, please? :)
  • Options
    Utopian GirlUtopian Girl Posts: 8,275
    Forum Member
    If you read the labels on the back of food containers, ingredients 5gms of fat per 100gms of the food should be the max. 3 gms per 100gms is best - Tesco's light Options are pretty good - but I bulk out with mushrooms, courgettes, celery etc. I'm veggie so I use Quorn but beware as the mince/chicken style chunks are ok but the breaded stuff goes up! I've been on a fat free diet (Xenical) and lost 5 stone - fat free yoghurts are good if you mix in some blueberries for example. Herbal/ fruit teas, celery, making my own soups & steaming my onions etc in the microwave are all helpful & you can alternate/exchange the frying etc part of the recipe/food.

I know it's a painful condition to have my late Mum had it for years and a low fat diet was great, my neighbour has it as does my hubby suffer from too much fatty food ( although he'll deny it - the sod!):D
    He sneaks food in the shopping when I don't go with him ( biscuits, choc.) plus, he's happy enough for me to go to bed earlier than him as he raids his stash and will still ask for snacks - he's really not helping himself!>:(
    Even being hospitalised once - suddenly a couple of yrs ago didn't sink in; he has IBS now too and has adopted the attitude than he can eat what he wants as he takes a tablet! I despair!:o:(>:(

Good luck to you - wishing your hubby well.:)
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    It might be easier to watch videos on youtube instead. There are plenty of ideas which looks jolly tasty.
  • Options
    Rick_DavisRick_Davis Posts: 1,104
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think you, or your Hubby will have to understand that will power is the key.

I was overweight as a child, all through my teens up until my late 20's

Diets work to an extent, but will power and change of life style really is the key.,