Ellie Goulding - US Billboard success

trevvytrev21trevvytrev21 Posts: 16,973
Forum Member
✭✭
Did search for a thread on this already.

The single 'Lights' is in the top 5 on US iTunes and getting radio support in a big way, YouTube views are at 15 million.

Odd that this song is rather old, and doing so well. Did it flop here?

Comments

• Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did search for a thread on this already.

The single 'Lights' is in the top 5 on US iTunes and getting radio support in a big way, YouTube views are at 15 million.

Odd that this song is rather old, and doing so well. Did it flop here?

Yes but because it had been knocking around for ages and came out on the back of the success of Your Song.

She has done loads of US promo and only recently has radio got behind the song so thats why its doing so well.
  • LewnaticcLewnaticc Posts: 3,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not even a good song... There's far better on her album. Your Biggest Mistake would probably do commercially well in the US, it's got such a mainstream chorus.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lewnaticc wrote: »
    It's not even a good song... There's far better on her album. Your Biggest Mistake would probably do commercially well in the US, it's got such a mainstream chorus.

It's a bit pointless now to release off lights her second album is out in October she should use this success to further promote that instead.
  • konebyvaxkonebyvax Posts: 9,120
    Forum Member
    I bet Greg James is thrilled, lol.

On a serious note, well done to her. The Brits are starting to make inroads there. Maybe they have Adele to thank (partly)?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 56
    Forum Member
    Yeah this song is such a tune however only reached 49 in the UK. Although you will find that the song is on pratically every fashion stores playlist in its shops. Radio 1 give it some airplay and she did it live for R1. Apart from that it didnt get some from Capital or the Music channels. Shame really because it deserves at least a top 30 place
    Forum Member
    Also the song recently sold over 2,000,000 copies in the US
  • trevvytrev21trevvytrev21 Posts: 16,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's smashing on pop radio and rising on iTunes, possible top three IMO. Katy Perry has #1 on lock.

New album with a few first album highlights for US market could be a good idea.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not a good song to be honest to launch her but i reckon her success will be limited anyway.

Rebecca Ferguson and Emeli Sande should be the ones doing better than her. But oh well. Rant over.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    konebyvax wrote: »

On a serious note, well done to her. The Brits are starting to make inroads there. Maybe they have Adele to thank (partly)?

Adele is more adult contemporary/Streisand - Ellie is electro-folk and I can't see there being many crossovers in their respective fanbases.

Agree with little-monster re: Emeli/Rebecca but I think they'll have success in their own right. Still think Ellie's best song is album track/promo single 'Under The Sheets'. The chorus >>>>
  • LMLM Posts: 63,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The brits do not have Adele to thank at all. Actually, they have Dusty springfield. She did it back on the early 60's. It is as if people think no one took on america before Adele did.
  • Star_BrightStar_Bright Posts: 11,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really like Lights.
    Forum Member
    The brits do not have Adele to thank at all. Actually, they have Dusty springfield. She did it back on the early 60's. It is as if people think no one took on america before Adele did.

To be fair there will be many many millions of young Americans buying chart music (and i suspect the vast majority of those buying Ellie's song) in the US who wouldn't even have heard of Dusty (sadly). I was talking specifically of recent times and not even her greatest detractors can surely deny she's revived interest in UK artists over there? :confused: You don't have to like her or her stuff to admit this, you know...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To be fair there will be many many millions of young Americans buying chart music (and i suspect the vast majority of those buying Ellie's song) in the US who wouldn't even have heard of Dusty (sadly). I was talking specifically of recent times and not even her greatest detractors can surely deny she's revived interest in UK artists over there? :confused: You don't have to like her or her stuff to admit this...

Amy Winehouse she started it without her no Adele thats how i have always seen it and to an extent Joss stone before her even Natasha Bedingfield Adele is just the biggest and most prolific in a long line :)
    Forum Member
    Hav_mor91 wrote: »
    Amy Winehouse she started it without her no Adele thats how i have always seen it and to an extent Joss stone before her even Natasha Bedingfield Adele is just the biggest and most prolific in a long line :)

And hence the one who has most revived interest in UK artists in recent times? :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    [/B]

And hence the one who has most revived interest in UK artists in recent times? :confused:

No Amy and Joss revived interest in Uk artists Adele just built on it and became the most successful she hasn't single handeldy shone a light on British music Coldplay and others were doing the rounds before Even Amy or Joss.
  • Super Roux!Super Roux! Posts: 511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's good to see Ellie doing well in the US, although, I thought "Starry Eyed" would have been the song to do well for her. It's kind of ironic that a new music video was filmed for it, and instead, "Lights" does far better. Also, if she does decide to release another single in the US from "Bright Lights", I think "Under The Sheets" could do quite well.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's good to see Ellie doing well in the US, although, I thought "Starry Eyed" would have been the song to do well for her. It's kind of ironic that a new music video was filmed for it, and instead, "Lights" does far better. Also, if she does decide to release another single in the US from "Bright Lights", I think "Under The Sheets" could do quite well.

The verses would need a remix, they're a tad dreary. Was never all that keen on Starry Eyed.

Adele being responsible for the wave of success for British music in the US.. I just don't buy it. Aside from a dry period in the 90s and early 00s, British artists have always done well over there.
  • iseloidiseloid Posts: 9,392
    Forum Member
    Adele is more adult contemporary/Streisand - Ellie is electro-folk and I can't see there being many crossovers in their respective fanbases.

Agree with little-monster re: Emeli/Rebecca but I think they'll have success in their own right. Still think Ellie's best song is album track/promo single 'Under The Sheets'. The chorus >>>>

That song is ace. My fave from her.
    Forum Member
    iseloid wrote: »
    That song is ace. My fave from her.

Agreed, i love the album and think Under the Sheets is the best song on it......

Along with Salt Skin, Believe Me, Lights and Wish I stayed
    Forum Member
    Also i dont really buy into the British having Adele to thank. Ellie along with every other British artist have themself to thank. The music they are creating is of a high standard and the American's like it. If Ellie was French, Spainish whatever it would make a massive difference, Lights is a good song and thats why its charting high
  • Steve35Steve35 Posts: 2,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

British bands have been doing well in America for years, it's hardly down to Adele or is it anything new:rolleyes::confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 163
    Forum Member
    It's just got more media presence and coverage now, but it's not as if U.K acts haven't 'crossed over' before.

People need to stop saying there's an 'invasion' or whatever. It's just ridick.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 966
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not a good song to be honest to launch her but i reckon her success will be limited anyway.

Rebecca Ferguson and Emeli Sande should be the ones doing better than her. But oh well. Rant over.

LMAO just no.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LMAO just no.

It's not out of the question. One Direction aside, quality British music is performing well in the US and Rebecca's album is ace. Sade always sell albums in America and there's a similarity vocally..
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,373
    Forum Member
    I like her. Good singer.

Unfortunate though that she's unintentionally spawned endless "twee" imitators, especially in adverts.