Options

Getting council/housing asssocation house?

linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,703
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Just wondering how long people here waited with a bidding system to get housed without any sort of priority? Obviously most of the houses do go to priority but after almost a year and almost 70 bids I have got no where. Could it potentially take a few hundred bids to get somewhere?

Comments

• Options
    tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    Just wondering how long people here waited with a bidding system to get housed without any sort of priority? Obviously most of the houses do go to priority but after almost a year and almost 70 bids I have got no where. Could it potentially take a few hundred bids to get somewhere?

Could take years if you have no priority, the number of homeless people in the country is on the increase and cases like this and other factors get priority.
  • Options
    MuzeMuze Posts: 2,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You could well be looking at several years tbh.

Even as a priority, in top band, it took me 6 months and about 25 bids :(

Maybe look for a private rental which accepts HB, there are some around still x
  • Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some people round here have been waiting over 30 years, I guess when they get to retirement age they will stand more chance, IF there are any houses to be had.
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member

I have no idea which council area you're in but they'll all have some housing and housing advice unit of some sort. I'd suggest contacting them for advice about how to put your best case across for council and housing association properties plus ask about private rented properties too. If they're no help then your nearest Shelter office might be able to offer advice to you: http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_advice

Good luck! :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Muze wrote: »
    You could well be looking at several years tbh.

Even as a priority, in top band, it took me 6 months and about 25 bids :(

Maybe look for a private rental which accepts HB, there are some around still x

I bid on a flat with just 11 people though 1 bedroom :)
  • Options
    MuzeMuze Posts: 2,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I bid on a flat with just 11 people though 1 bedroom :)

Looking more hopeful then :)

Be prepared that lots of people bid at the last minute.

Be careful of taking the first place you are offered, i did that and the place has been so much trouble, neighbours a nightmare, mould everywhere, everything faulty.... if people turn it down, they turn it on for a reason x
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Be careful of taking the first place you are offered, i did that and the place has been so much trouble, neighbours a nightmare, mould everywhere, everything faulty.... if people turn it down, they turn it on for a reason x

I started bidding for two bed properties average demand 100 if it's a top area and 50 for a decent flat but less popular area for say transport and shops. One beds popular between 40-50 but over xmas demand has been about 10-20 Max for one beds. I went for another three one beds this week not really my best location or flat but some are ok demand is 15 bids, 12 bids I think and 22 bids so I reckon if keep trying. A flat I really wanted did go to no priority with 15 bids but not for me they publish how it was allocated. Can only assume it was smeone who was registered a bit longer.

I've been unsure if I should hold off for the right flat. You can get a two bed flat max of 3 bids if it's a very rural location so if you were say very desperate perhaps there's always a way to get housed without being homeless.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Regards last min bids usually the most is first two days, the Monday is always busy but sometimes nobody even bids on the listing end especially at xmas. Sometimes at most 5 bid on the last day if it's a bed at a busy time. Like tomorrow I doubt many will bid since it's not got too many bids. Last week one flat ended at 11 which ain't bad.
  • Options
    JRTCJRTC Posts: 136
    Forum Member
    We were on the list for approx 18 months - 2 years. We were on priority C as the other half is a carer for his mum so wanted somewhere local. We didnt bid on that many as they said it goes on both your priority code and how long you have been on the list, and they said you can only reject 2 properties before you are moved to the back of the queue. The flat that we accepted last year there were 7 people in front of us during the bidding, so you never know. Many people bid for multiple properties so its possible that many of the people in front of you have already accepted an offer on another property.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I emailed the council and explained my situation and how my lower wages can't afford a mortgage right now and to see if they can give me any time scale on getting a house. Bid for a few more one beds with 15 - 25 bids and no joy again. Also contacted Shelter.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I emailed the council and explained my situation and how my lower wages can't afford a mortgage right now and to see if they can give me any time scale on getting a house. Bid for a few more one beds with 15 - 25 bids and no joy again.

That is the way the system is, exept to be bidding for a long time they will not be able to give you a time scale as every week they will be getting more people who will have a greater need homeless people and people being made homeless in a few weeks time, and other factors like this. All you can do is bid every week and just wait, dont expect this to be sorted be sorted fast, as there is always more people joining the list who will have priority, how long you have been on the waiting list does not really mean alot as someone who has only just joined the list could get somewere before you because they might have a need for priority housing.
  • Options
    EssexAimeeEssexAimee Posts: 57
    Forum Member
    Im going to stick a spanner in the works here but originally I was living at my parents but was in the position to buy a house had deposit, mortgage in principal and a hoise viewing then my cavalier fell ill I decided against the house as she was way way way more important anyway I went to my local council they said becuase im working no kids etc. I got a band E I.e. no chance in hell so I applied for a council up north got a band C (also no local connection) got housed in 3 weeks and currently in the process of doing a mutual exchange back dwon south in total its taken my a year and a couple months to get on the council down here compared to a couple friends on mine been on the council for years and still bidding and trying to be housed... I got moaned at and laughed at but I believe I ended up in the better and qyicker situation I still want to buy but that will come in time im only 25... also just wanted to add I actually had more priority than someone who popped out a kid becuase I was working I was sooo surprised never ever seen anything like.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tim59 wrote: »
    That is the way the system is, exept to be bidding for a long time they will not be able to give you a time scale as every week they will be getting more people who will have a greater need homeless people and people being made homeless in a few weeks time, and other factors like this. All you can do is bid every week and just wait, dont expect this to be sorted be sorted fast, as there is always more people joining the list who will have priority, how long you have been on the waiting list does not really mean alot as someone who has only just joined the list could get somewere before you because they might have a need for priority housing.

Well one of my friends waited 2 years, turned down one offer but got the area they requested when it was a points system.

With bidding only rural places have 2/3 bids with no transport links. I've ruled out any hope of getting two bedroom houses now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    EssexAimee wrote: »
    Im going to stick a spanner in the works here but originally I was living at my parents but was in the position to buy a house had deposit, mortgage in principal and a hoise viewing then my cavalier fell ill I decided against the house as she was way way way more important anyway I went to my local council they said becuase im working no kids etc. I got a band E I.e. no chance in hell so I applied for a council up north got a band C (also no local connection) got housed in 3 weeks and currently in the process of doing a mutual exchange back dwon south in total its taken my a year and a couple months to get on the council down here compared to a couple friends on mine been on the council for years and still bidding and trying to be housed... I got moaned at and laughed at but I believe I ended up in the better and qyicker situation I still want to buy but that will come in time im only 25... also just wanted to add I actually had more priority than someone who popped out a kid becuase I was working I was sooo surprised never ever seen anything like.

I know where I stay the cities have more demand. I am in a town so demand is quite average I suppose. However theres only a few bands like Mover, Homeless or Home Starter. If you are at risk of being made homeless by a landlord you have a higher priority than me I believe. When they publish allocations online very few Home Starter bands get any houses it's always priority above.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well one of my friends waited 2 years, turned down one offer but got the area they requested when it was a points system.

With bidding only rural places have 2/3 bids with no transport links. I've ruled out any hope of getting two bedroom houses now.

Unless you have a need for 2 bedrooms like having a child that lives with you, than the chances are nil as the new policy is to only give a person the right number of bedrooms they need, if your single or a couple then it would only be 1 bedroom
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unless you have a need for 2 bedrooms like having a child that lives with you, than the chances are nil as the new policy is to only give a person the right number of bedrooms they need, if your single or a couple then it would only be 1 bedroom

It would be a couple yes however my council has very few one bedroom houses and since I added my g.f to the housing association list I can't bid for one bed flats with only room for a single bed...they advertise 1 double room and 1 single room for 3 people and I am eligible for one bed but can't even get a one bedroom double room flat..

So in a year I would estimate in my group maybe only 20-30 one bed flats may come up so the chances are so remote.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It would be a couple yes however my council has very few one bedroom houses and since I added my g.f to the housing association list I can't bid for one bed flats with only room for a single bed...they advertise 1 double room and 1 single room for 3 people and I am eligible for one bed but can't even get a one bedroom double room flat..

So in a year I would estimate in my group maybe only 20-30 one bed flats may come up so the chances are so remote.

Its because of the way the system works without priority need you could be bidding for years, priority cases will always come first and sorry to say but more priority cases are there every week, to give you some idea 90,000 children are living in hotels and B&B in the uk, and that is just one group in the priority list, and the number is 5,000 more than this time last year
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But for example in one of the cities Home Seekers and Home Starters have the same bidding group. Not my town though.

I would also like to explain there's major redevelopments with new council housing in some places 100+ flats being built, priority to existing council tenants but maybe it frees up existing houses.

What's not fair is the points system in my position in a few years I would be top of the list. Bidding I could get one tomorrow (unlikely) the more likelihood is the wait for a house is so much longer.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I fill out all the surveys on how they allocate houses too. I mean the housing association went from listing houses for 4 days to 12 days so I mean double the bids now, and less of a chance it makes the impossible even more impossible you know?
  • Options
    EssexAimeeEssexAimee Posts: 57
    Forum Member
    striing wrote: »
    How did you manage to apply for a council in the north? Did you have to be living there to do that? Was your job there?

I already knew the area as I had friends there but I just applied to the council online as i refuse to pay private rent prices i wanted council becuase I didnt have a local connection I was placed in a band C it would have been higher had I had a connection I bidded for 3 weeks got a phone call to view the property... no I had to go to a pre tenecy work shop but I was still living and working in essex when I got the keys to my place... everyone goes on about it takes years on the council but if ypur desperate you will take anywhere what a lot of people dont relise is they have alist of available propertys that dont go on biddi g site and if you lile a property you phone them up providing it hasnt been taken to arrange a viewing then if you like it sign the tenecy its that quick and easy the media likes to make out there is no social housing but that only applies fpr the south of the county up here the council are literlly crying out for tennents but cant get them
  • Options
    Forum Member
    But for example in one of the cities Home Seekers and Home Starters have the same bidding group. Not my town though.

I would also like to explain there's major redevelopments with new council housing in some places 100+ flats being built, priority to existing council tenants but maybe it frees up existing houses.

What's not fair is the points system in my position in a few years I would be top of the list. Bidding I could get one tomorrow (unlikely) the more likelihood is the wait for a house is so much longer.

Because of the shortage of social housing now the system has changed were it is very much based on need, and only them with the greated of need are likely to get a social housing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    EssexAimee wrote: »
    I already knew the area as I had friends there but I just applied to the council online as i refuse to pay private rent prices i wanted council becuase I didnt have a local connection I was placed in a band C it would have been higher had I had a connection I bidded for 3 weeks got a phone call to view the property... no I had to go to a pre tenecy work shop but I was still living and working in essex when I got the keys to my place... everyone goes on about it takes years on the council but if ypur desperate you will take anywhere what a lot of people dont relise is they have alist of available propertys that dont go on biddi g site and if you lile a property you phone them up providing it hasnt been taken to arrange a viewing then if you like it sign the tenecy its that quick and easy the media likes to make out there is no social housing but that only applies fpr the south of the county up here the council are literlly crying out for tennents but cant get them

Ironically my council is really pushing hard to let three bedrooms and says anybody not eligible contact then to bid.

Over xmas the same properties had only 20 bids for areas that usually have 50 bids. So where do all the other bidders vanish too? The bidding is back high now as its January but you would think they can see I bid on every allocation listing that I am keen.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because of the shortage of social housing now the system has changed were it is very much based on need, and only them with the greated of need are likely to get a social housing.

Well let me tell you many of those seeker properties end up being relisted for all groups the week after either ones with two bids maybe they refused the house or no bids. You find seeker properties have very few bids yet my group ranges upto 200 so think of all those who can't get a house.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Could I do this while renting privately or is that not allowed?

Well just to add if I did rent private the council scrap my application and I drop a band priority. So I can't even just go private short term. Lack of long term tenancy and higher council tax on new builds too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where are you living then? If you're not in social housing, private rental or owner occupier what's the other option?

With parents right now so like I say I feel there's not much help to get on the housing ladder.