Modern Toss

2»

Comments

• AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JonDoe wrote:
    Well that's how I feared it would go.

I liked the farmer but the actors kind of sucked the soul out of the rest of it.

Still, I'm sure John's happy with his big suitcase of cash. .....I'm happy for him, really. ....No really.

I'm sorry JonDoe..I have to be honest and say that I didn't think it was funny.

It really did feel like there was no real writing involved using real humour, and it was though it was just about throwing lots of swear words in to pass off as humour.

Just using swear words in themselves does not = comedy.

Just seeing and hearing swearing?
    It's not shocking or brave nowadays, if that's what the intended effect was meant to acheive.
  • dvboydvboy Posts: 3,983
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some of it: meh.
    Some of it I was laughing out loud.
    A bit of a mix really.
  • RubusRooRubusRoo Posts: 10,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I kinda enjoyed it. Knew what to expect as it's been plugged a lot by c4.

enjoyed the alan sketch but seemed a lot of work for quite a small amount of humour.

the accident & emergency sketch was most amusing i thought.

like the illegal alphabet too, lots of scope there & they won't need to keep using profanities for it, any word would do really.

the sneezing guy was funny but it's probably going to get boring.

the flies were funny too as i could imagine flies having that sort of conversation.

all in all, not bad, seen a lot worse.
  • JaystarJaystar Posts: 4,854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The two flies in the promotional trailer really made me laugh, so I thought I'd watch it. But I have to say that the programme wasn't anywhere near as good as I thought it was going to be.

The flies are cool though :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 121
    Forum Member
    I thought it was a refreshing change to the usual comedy drivel that's on such as The Kumars or 2 Pints of Lager. All right, it was mostly just swearing but I don't think it was trying to make any brash statements. It is what it is and there's nothing wrong with finding swearing funny, it's the context in which it's done that makes it funny. Not the actual words themselves.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 104
    Forum Member
    Not bad at all!! I don't understand why some people have been so vehemently against it. :)
  • NeilPostNeilPost Posts: 6,067
    Forum Member
    Mr Tourette as an abusive French signwriter amused me as an insulting to the Fench stereotype - 'f**ing non', with a Gallic shrug. Cracking !!!€
    Illegal Alphabet ok too. Seeing large swear words running about a field just amuses me. Maybe them running around outside the Houses of Parliment, 10 Downing street or somewhere else would be even funnier.

On average, only mildly funny. Some good, some bad, some indifferent. Studenty humour, but looked like something done by someone only mildly talented that has tried to fuse all their fravourite shows together - Monty Python, Benny Hill, most internet Flash.

Still it was about a million times better than anything on MTV, South Park exceptiing, and a bit better than the hugely unfunny & overhyped Adult Swim.
  • JonDoeJonDoe Posts: 31,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sorry JonDoe..I have to be honest and say that I didn't think it was funny..
    No worries. ....As I say, I didn't think it would translate well to television and having seen it, I didn't really think it did.

As single pictures it works. I don't think was ever intended to be shocking as much as daft.

I've met Jon Link once. He's a nice bloke. Very dry, rather quiet and quite a bit older than you would probably think. Definitey not a student. :D
  • BuboBubo Posts: 110
    Forum Member
    I thought the first half was superb, the 2nd half was more hit and miss. I thought the star of the show though was Gnat Burglar. A kind of joke ultra violence for no apparent reason had me in stitches. Not sure if that is good or bad.
  • iiHEARTy0uiiHEARTy0u Posts: 13,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Watching it right now. Very confusing.. Lol
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 70
    Forum Member
    I haven't seen it but I loved the fanzine.
  • MancManMancMan Posts: 200
    Forum Member
    This show is growing on me into a 'must watch'.

Sneezeman is brilliant, even though I know what is going to happen, and Mr Tourette and drive-by abuser are nice politically incorrect French and English stereotypes and very funny, makes a change these days.

There are some bits that don't work - fly talk is a bit dull, and they could cut the bits that rely on swear words (although these are fairly infrequent) - but good new comedy should be experimental at first.

Reading a message board, yeah? Looks like it an' all!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    Does anyone know the name of the music that plays during the Mr Tourette parts.

I'm sure that I've heard it somewhere before, but cannot think where.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    50/50 for me

don't like sneezeman, wolf gobbler, barney and peace and quiet

like space argument, gnat burlger, drive by abuser, work, customer complaints and accident and emergency, alan

not to fussed fly talk, sign writer
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really wanted to like Modern Toss, and I do; but sadly it isn't something i'll rave about.

As other people have said it is a little too hit and miss..

I'm quite a fan of...

Illegal alpabet although Doon's voiceover makes it.
    Mr Tourette which is basic but entertaining.
    Alan which is repetative, but remains very appealing.
    Drive By Abuser, again repetative but it does have a certain charm.
    Customer Complaints etc, is a very nice concept and remains fresh with each week.
    Also the first Work sketch, 'If I stop coming in, you're going to start not paying me; not being funny like but no one mentioned that earlier on'.

But the rest is a miss for me, however the tagline "Modern Toss the stink of excellance in a world gone tits up." just keeps me coming back!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I loved the comedy lab pilot but the series has been a disappointment. Ideas that were funny once don't always bear up to that much repetition, and the higher production values have robbed it of some of its charm - especially the customer complaints line...
  • BringBackThamesBringBackThames Posts: 3,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Planet Talk" is my favourite bit. The red planet with attitude has me in stitches. ;):)