Options

January 2007 'highest amount of abortions ever'

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/6341735.stm

Apparently, more ab ortions were performed last month than any month on record according to a Marie Stopes spokesman.

Could it be as simple as getting drunk and not using contraception or is there more to it? Certainly some pro choice charities are saying lack of NHS services are meaning more women are now forced to go private for terminations.

Why is the safe sex message still not getting through?

Comments

• Options
    gargleroadsidegargleroadside Posts: 4,581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    newwoman wrote:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/6341735.stm

Apparently, more abortions were performed last month than any month on record according to a Marie Stopes spokesman.
    I predicted this would happen (post #29) in the thread Anyone Had Lots Of Sex Over Xmas... although I said February and March. Will those months be any better or worse than usual?
  • Options
    SloopySloopy Posts: 65,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's just so careless. Abortion seems to be the chosen method of 'contraception' for those who have an unwanted pregnancy, particularly after the Christmas season.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Even if you think you are having safe sex- things can still go wrong. Please don’t just automatically cast all women in the same group and assume they could have prevented it- well part from not having sex- which I’m sure 80% of people on here are doing.
  • Options
    EspressoEspresso Posts: 18,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It says to me that people have got drunk and not used a condom. Or the woman has been on the pill, but got sick. It also tells us quite a lot about the use of the morning after pill.
    How many women having these abortions in January would have been able to get hold of the morning after pill on Christmas Day? None.
    I'm not saying that all of the women who had abortions in January would have needed the morning after pill on Christmas day, but it's the only day that the chemist is shut, so it must have some sort of impact on the numbers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    True- and many beleive even if they take it up to the last hour of the 3rd day you can take it- all will be fine and it works the same- they need to state more clearly that:
    1. every time you take the map- it is less effective
    2. The odds of it working are much higher within first day then after this
  • Options
    RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Even if you think you are having safe sex- things can still go wrong. Please don’t just automatically cast all women in the same group

Exactly.

Whilst I most certainly do not condone the use of abortion as a method of contraceptive, accidents will and do happen - no form of birth control is 100% safe. Short of abstaining every woman is at 'risk' of unwanted pregnancy.

Don't they say that statistically 1 in 3 women will at some point in their life seek a termination?

This is not to detract from that fact that women who intend to go out and 'party hard' should always carry flipping condoms with them....
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,791
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Espresso wrote:
    It says to me that people have got drunk and not used a condom. Or the woman has been on the pill, but got sick. It also tells us quite a lot about the use of the morning after pill.
    How many women having these abortions in January would have been able to get hold of the morning after pill on Christmas Day? None.
    I'm not saying that all of the women who had abortions in January would have needed the morning after pill on Christmas day, but it's the only day that the chemist is shut, so it must have some sort of impact on the numbers.

No excuse really though is it ?

I wonder how many were teenagers compared to adults.

If adults were the greater number then that make it worse.
  • Options
    pickwickpickwick Posts: 25,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You also have to bear in mind that most clinics are shut over Christmas, so there's a backlog of operations that *would* have been done at the end of December, if it had been open. I suspect January's always higher than other months.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lostsworld wrote:
    No excuse really though is it ?

I wonder how many were teenagers compared to adults.

If adults were the greater number then that make it worse.

I hope you realise it takes 2 though- there seems like a lot of 'blame' poitning towards the women on here....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope you realise it takes 2 though- there seems like a lot of 'blame' poitning towards the women on here....

Yes true but if i was a women I would make bl**dy sure I never got pregnant.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,555
    Forum Member
    lostsworld wrote:

How? The only sure fire way is to never have sex, is that what you advocate?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    maimou wrote:
    How? The only sure fire way is to never have sex, is that what you advocate?

The depo injection seems to do a pretty good job.

Don't hear many stories of people getting pregnant while being on that.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,555
    Forum Member
    lostsworld wrote:

It's not 100% effective, no contraceptive is.

Not all women can take it either.
  • Options
    EspressoEspresso Posts: 18,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lostsworld wrote:

Doesn't suit all women. Didn't suit me.

I hope that with an attitude like yours that you've had a vasectomy.
    If you have, then bravo.
    If not, you should wise up.
  • Options
    SloopySloopy Posts: 65,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Perhaps sometimes its easier said than done to think ahead, but by having unsafe sex you're not just putting yourself at risk of pregnancy - there is also disease and even rape to think of if you are drunk and have lost all control of your inhibitions.
  • Options
    NathalieRNathalieR Posts: 16,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We should all be having sex safe but mistakes unfortunately happen. I don't know many people, male or female, who have never had un protected sex unfortunately. Its silly but it can happen, even just once in your life especially when something like alcohol being involved.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lostsworld wrote:

Your attitude stinks- and just so you know- the injection is not healthy to take for more than 2/3 years and has full on side affects that really messes with your body that as a man you don’t have to put up with
  • Options
    comedyfishcomedyfish Posts: 21,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pickwick wrote:
    You also have to bear in mind that most clinics are shut over Christmas, so there's a backlog of operations that *would* have been done at the end of December, if it had been open. I suspect January's always higher than other months.

great point - I like reading posts that actually make sense now and then!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    comedyfish wrote:
    great point - I like reading posts that actually make sense now and then!
    :):o Took it straight out of yesterday morning's Metro...
  • Options
    comedyfishcomedyfish Posts: 21,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pickwick wrote:
    :):o Took it straight out of yesterday morning's Metro...

That's the Pickwick Paper of choice is it? :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,846
    Forum Member
    lostsworld wrote:

So all women should become nuns and lock themselves up and away from men all their entire lives....... :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    comedyfish wrote:
    That's the Pickwick Paper of choice is it? :)
    Hee :D It is, on the grounds that it's free and I get the bus to work...I read the Guardian online to make me feel better though!