Options

Hollyoaks General Discussion (Part 19)

Comments

• Options
    Ellie_DollieEllie_Dollie Posts: 1,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lulu g wrote: »
    Absolutely. How could they let Walker win?

I've been asking myself this since his awful exit :(
    They let both Seamus and Walker win.
  • Options
    Bluebird69Bluebird69 Posts: 5,570
    Forum Member
    Thank you :)
    Oh yes I know it will take a long time before/if Brendan and Stendan will be a distant memory to a lot of people. But I doubt Kieron has any thoughts of leaving any time soon and for people to think that Emmett will return for his exit it's a nice thought but it's not something that is going to happen (if ever) in a long while.
    In the meantime all we have left are the thoughts and images of Brendan rotting in prison, the place he never, ever wanted to return. With the thought of Ste going over and over in his mind.
    It is an awful way to supposedly end the story because it seems they haven't given much thought to the fans who will be thinking of Brendan trying to cope in prison (I know he's fictional but he isn't too if you know what I mean). The perfect end was the one when he could have died on the balcony and then he would be waiting for Ste in the next life. Ste's story could have been the same as he would be devastated either way.

BIB: Oh I know exactly what you mean! It's a testament to Emmett's acting that, yes, we know Brendan is a fictional character, but he's been so well-crafted, developed and portrayed over the last 2 and a half years that we've come to really care about him as if he was an actual person - even when he's not on screen. I think there must be very few characters from soaps, or any TV drama, that still occupy the viewers thoughts so much outside of the time that they're in front of you on your TV. Emmett has totally inhabited the character of Brendan and made him so believable.

I'm trying to block out the thoughts of Brendan in prison. It's too upsetting :cry:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Plant wrote: »
    Personally I wouldn't have liked Brendan to die because I don't believe in a "next life" so it would have been worse than prison for me. I just wanted him to triumph in some way and beat his demons. Especially when it was revealed he was abused as a child.

Him turning into a total victim in the last few months did a great disservice to the character I thought.

I don't believe in the next life either, but Brendan does and that's what he thought was going to happen when he faced the police.
    Hollyoaks on the other hand decided to let not only Brendan suffer but also the people who care so much about him.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bluebird69 wrote: »
    BIB: Oh I know exactly what you mean! It's a testament to Emmett's acting that, yes, we know Brendan is a fictional character, but he's been so well-crafted, developed and portrayed over the last 2 and a half years that we've come to really care about him as if he was an actual person - even when he's not on screen. I think there must be very few characters from soaps, or any TV drama, that still occupy the viewers thoughts so much outside of the time that they're in front of you on your TV. Emmett has totally inhabited the character of Brendan and made him so believable.

I'm trying to block out the thoughts of Brendan in prison. It's too upsetting :cry:

Emmett is a brilliant actor and if anyone else had played the part of Brendan I doubt that Brendan would have meant so much.
    That is exactly the thing, he's done a brilliant job of making this person so real and that's why it hurts so much to think of him rotting away in prison after the awful life he's had and when he finally became the 'better person' because he finally found someone who accepted him for who he is even though he couldn't do that himself for a long time and then for him to sacrifice his own happiness so his (selfish) sister wouldn't be locked up.
    That's why I think they was so wrong with not ending the story with him dying. But for some strange reason, which I doubt we will have any answers (although I keep badgering people on Twitter).
    It's an awful way to end the story of such a fascinating character who was brought to us by an amazing actor.
  • Options
    Bluebird69Bluebird69 Posts: 5,570
    Forum Member
    Emmett is a brilliant actor and if anyone else had played the part of Brendan I doubt that Brendan would have meant so much.
    That is exactly the thing, he's done a brilliant job of making this person so real and that's why it hurts so much to think of him rotting away in prison after the awful life he's had and when he finally became the 'better person' because he finally found someone who accepted him for who he is even though he couldn't do that himself for a long time and then for him to sacrifice his own happiness so his (selfish) sister wouldn't be locked up.
    That's why I think they was so wrong with not ending the story with him dying. But for some strange reason, which I doubt we will have any answers (although I keep badgering people on Twitter).
    It's an awful way to end the story of such a fascinating character who was brought to us by an amazing actor.

Yes, it is. :cry:
  • Options
    Everlong GirlEverlong Girl Posts: 1,671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I gotta say being hit by an train and being shot in the back doesn't = wins in my mind - it's not like either Walker or Seamus are there to gloat over Brendan's situation.

The real winner is Cheryl - she knows the truth about her Dad and Brother, she killed someone and got away with it, she got the man, she got the millions, the family estate, and more importantly her life and freedom. Everyone else in the whole SL suffered and lost something -

Brendan - his freedom
    Ste - his boyfriend
    Walker - his life
    Seamus - his life
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I gotta say being hit by an train and being shot in the back doesn't = wins in my mind - it's not like either Walker or Seamus are there to gloat over Brendan's situation.

The real winner is Cheryl - she knows the truth about her Dad and Brother, she killed someone and got away with it, she got the man, she got the millions, the family estate, and more importantly her life and freedom. Everyone else in the whole SL suffered and lost something -

Brendan - his freedom
    Ste - his boyfriend
    Walker - his life
    Seamus - his life

Brendan lost a lot more then his freedom, he lost the love of his life and he'd only just found out what love was.
    Ste has lost the person he loves more then anyone in the world (besides his kids).
    Walker is no loss as his whole purpose was to ruin Brendan because he thought Brendan had killed his brother (and that is debateable because he could have bought those drugs from anyone even if Brendan had supplied him before)
    Seamus didn't deserve a life!
  • Options
    Everlong GirlEverlong Girl Posts: 1,671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brendan lost a lot more then his freedom, he lost the love of his life and he'd only just found out what love was.
    Ste has lost the person he loves more then anyone in the world (besides his kids).
    Walker is no loss as his whole purpose was to ruin Brendan because he thought Brendan had killed his brother (and that is debateable because he could have bought those drugs from anyone even if Brendan had supplied him before)
    Seamus didn't deserve a life!

I am aware that Brendan lost more than just his freedom I was simply making a point that Cheryl's appeared to have 'won' as she lost the least, but gained the most - she lost her pervert Dad and her Brother who she treated like dirt a lot of the time (despite Brendan's claims about her giving up so much as his sister) but gained Nate and his millions and the biggest prize - freedom and life, whereas the other's (whether they were good guys/bad guys/whatever) lost something big.
  • Options
    lulu glulu g Posts: 52,649
    Forum Member

Brendan - his freedom
    Ste - his boyfriend
    Walker - his life
    Seamus - his life
    I take your point. However, I very much wanted Brendan to triumph over Walker and, especially, over Seamus, even if he died in the process. As it is, what Walker wanted happened - for Brendan to be in prison, probably for the rest of his life, separated for ever from those he loves. Brendan never got the upper hand over Seamus. Till his dying breath, Seamus was still terrorizing his son. He never suffered for an instant for what he did to Brendan. He was shot in the back mid-assault and died instantly without ever seeing the hatred in his beloved daughter's eyes. I had fervently wanted Brendan somehow to get the upper hand over his abuser before his demise, but he never did. That was just too cruel.
  • Options
    olivejolivej Posts: 14,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know I am late to the party but I just knew, from the second Anna arrived on screen, she would be the mother - sooooooo predictable
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm happy that Brendan didn't die.

Death seemed like the easy way out for both the character and the way to end the storyline. It would have been a waste of everything that he had overcome so far.

And besides, he did kill before and he should have been jailed for that alone.

At least this way, rather than death, he can maybe be released in 25 years and live a happy life with Ste. He did have justifications for his murders (they weren't out of cold blood) so hopefully that will stand for him in court.

Brendan has always been an unlucky character and death just seemed a too easy way out of his problems for me. Besides, the SWAT team wouldn't shoot to kill, only to disarm.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 191
    Forum Member
    Just saw the ratings for Fridays episode and with the first look the night previous it again did over 2 million in viewers
  • Options
    SquigglySquiggly Posts: 103
    Forum Member
    I would have found Brendan's exit SO much more powerful if he'd have sacrificed himself for someone remotely likeable. I can't stand Cheryl, she's a grown woman who acts like a 12 year old (and don't even get me started on the joke that is her and Nate... Engaged after being together all of 5 minutes, not to mention how regularly she dumps him. Hardly an adult relationship ready for marriage and sailing off into the sunset together. Anyway..) She should have owned up to it, given that Brendan has 'previous' and she doesn't, paired with the emotional state she was in having just found out about the abuse and then walking in to see it about to happen again, she would have probably got a much much lighter sentence than Brendan now will. She's old enough to look after herself and if she had a scrap of decency she'd not have let Brendan take the rap and would have confessed instead. The scene with her and Nate driving off to their happy ever after was such a massive insult to Brendan and everything he's done for her.

Also, totally unrelated, the Billy (Leah's dad) storyline seemed to have been completely dropped! I was thinking they'd pick it back up again but with Amy and the kids gone again it doesn't look like it :( Was quite looking forward to that!
  • Options
    Brian79Brian79 Posts: 159
    Forum Member
    it would have been a great finish to see brendan gunned down.. but i really didn't want that...

if hes in prison then there's always a possibilty of us seeing him once again if he breaks out...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Squiggly wrote: »
    I would have found Brendan's exit SO much more powerful if he'd have sacrificed himself for someone remotely likeable. I can't stand Cheryl, she's a grown woman who acts like a 12 year old (and don't even get me started on the joke that is her and Nate... Engaged after being together all of 5 minutes, not to mention how regularly she dumps him. Hardly an adult relationship ready for marriage and sailing off into the sunset together. Anyway..) She should have owned up to it, given that Brendan has 'previous' and she doesn't, paired with the emotional state she was in having just found out about the abuse and then walking in to see it about to happen again, she would have probably got a much much lighter sentence than Brendan now will. She's old enough to look after herself and if she had a scrap of decency she'd not have let Brendan take the rap and would have confessed instead. The scene with her and Nate driving off to their happy ever after was such a massive insult to Brendan and everything he's done for her.

Also, totally unrelated, the Billy (Leah's dad) storyline seemed to have been completely dropped! I was thinking they'd pick it back up again but with Amy and the kids gone again it doesn't look like it :( Was quite looking forward to that!

Cheryl wanted to own up though. She couldn't have done much more. Brendan was pretty persistent.

As for Billy, I think that was just a plot device to get Ste to want to move to USA immediately. Same as why Amy dumped her kids on him to go travelling. I wouldn't have minded that storyline, if they had kept Billy ginger :mad: :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cheryl wanted to own up though. She couldn't have done much more. Brendan was pretty persistent.

As for Billy, I think that was just a plot device to get Ste to want to move to USA immediately. Same as why Any dumped hernkidsbon him to go travelling. I wouldn't have minded that storyline, if they had kept Billy ginger :mad: :P

but they made billy hot:o...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    scamrasc wrote: »
    but they made billy hot:o...

As Amy would say, I don't currrrrrr :mad: :p
  • Options
    superstar111superstar111 Posts: 18,479
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i really hope this Ste storyline will result in Amy back fulltime! She's the only person left that Ste truly cares about (except his kids ofc)
  • Options
    ReoReo Posts: 8,662
    Forum Member
    Are the writers lazy or just don't care enough to have a scene between Ruby and Esther about the bullying! It's been weeks and they are even in the same house now and still nothing. The suicide attempt, the bullies being found out/Ruby confessing and Ruby talking to Esther are the biggest scenes in the storyline and they just haven't been bothered to have a Ruby and Esther scene.

I hope after this bullying storyline and Esther losing confidence that with her recovery she will gain confidence and tell Frankie to shut up and that she hurt her just as much as the bullies did.

So.. is the club open for everyone now?

Has Browning always been this bad of an actor?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    And wouldn't Chez Chez still be a crime scene? With Brendan confessing to all those murders, surely the club and the house would be closed up until they searched everywhere.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 373
    Forum Member
    Reo wrote: »
    Are the writers lazy or just don't care enough to have a scene between Ruby and Esther about the bullying! It's been weeks and they are even in the same house now and still nothing. The suicide attempt, the bullies being found out/Ruby confessing and Ruby talking to Esther are the biggest scenes in the storyline and they just haven't been bothered to have a Ruby and Esther scene.

I hope after this bullying storyline and Esther losing confidence that with her recovery she will gain confidence and tell Frankie to shut up and that she hurt her just as much as the bullies did.

So.. is the club open for everyone now?

Has Browning always been this bad of an actor?

I know, it's silly! Hopefully there will be some good stuff coming up soon :) I really hope that they don't just completely forget about the bullying now.
  • Options
    unclekevounclekevo Posts: 20,749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good episode tonight, enjoyed the Nancy and baby stuff, Frankie's insecurities about Esther, the McQueens being paranoid about Mercy and Ruby and Esther's scene. Thought the Ste and George stuff was okay but Ste isn't coming across well. Browning's actor wasn't impressive tonight
  • Options
    Forum Member
    TvGeek_ wrote: »
    I know, it's silly! Hopefully there will be some good stuff coming up soon :) I really hope that they don't just completely forget about the bullying now.

They finally had a scene together but it was about how other people were now treating Esther. I think it will only happen now if they struggle at 6th form, otherwise I wouldn't be surprised if nothing is ever said.

That was a bad episode. I don't feel sorry for George, what was he thinking?! He knows what happened, how can he even sleep with Ste after that, never mind believing that they were now in a relationship. But I do think Ste was really unfair on him. And what happened to George's boyfriend?

The Mercedes/Browning storyline is awful and boring, it's a kidnap storyline with the McQueens suspecting that Browning had something to do with it, but it is not dramatic at all and trying to make it more chilling by having Mercedes scream was weird.. She has gotten herself into trouble so many times that it's nothing new.

I am interested in Nancy's storyline, but the miscarriage was a big storyline with Nancy and Darren and most of that was offscreen and their wedding was ruined by Jono, I just hope that they have the focus in their own storyline this time and that it wont cause too much of a problem with Nancy and Darren's relationship because they always seem on the edge.

I didn't think I would be saying this, but I want to see more of the Savage storyline and less of the Browning/McQueens, but only as long as it involves Patrick and Sienna, those two are my only hope for good drama now.
  • Options
    DeputyGuttersonDeputyGutterson Posts: 293
    Forum Member
    I really liked the Callum/George/Martha scene. Callum is such a great friend and Martha may be a bit nutty but at least she's really warm with everyone.
  • Options
    mojo5000mojo5000 Posts: 54,086
    Forum Member
    Tonight's episode depressed me. I felt sad for George, Ste, Nancy, Esther. It was so miserable!

I'm sure Ste will (in fact already has been in another thread) be called allsorts but Deena issues aside, George cannot surely have believed Ste was in any fit shape to start a relationship? Yes Ste was horrible but it was only two days ago he lost everything - it's grief. I don't want Ste just making paninis so I hope he gets darker, Kieron's great.

Was lovely seeing Esther back tonight, still not sure how I feel about Ruby.

Now, I love Paul and love his and Mercedes's relationship but the acting was dodgy tonight and this plot is so boring and farcical.
This discussion has been closed.