Options

Top 10 most liked celebrities

muppeteermuppeteer Posts: 3,350
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Since there's a thread about the most hated, I thought a bit of positivity would be nice too..:) Here's 10 I really like:

Beyonce - Real star quality and talent, and anytime I've seen her interviewed she seems lovely.

Rowan Atkinson - hilarious and by all accounts a decent guy.

Stephen Fry - witty, funny, interesting, intelligent.

Keith Duffy - down to earth and friendly guy, does a lot of work for autism charities.

Johnny Depp - really cool guy, keeps his private life to himself, apparently really nice.

Will Smith - cool guy, good actor, seems quite down to earth.

Olivia Newton John - great attitude to life, no matter what it's thrown at her.

Bobby Robson - gentleman.

Gary Barlow - very talented and I always thought he seemed friendly, like the kind of bloke you could have a few beers with.

Colin Farrell - seems like great fun, and a lovely guy.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gary Barlow? He's got a reputation for being big headed and rather arrogant actually.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 257
    Forum Member
    muppeteer wrote: »
    Since there's a thread about the most hated, I thought a bit of positivity would be nice too..:) Here's 10 I really like:

Beyonce - Real star quality and talent, and anytime I've seen her interviewed she seems lovely.

Rowan Atkinson - hilarious and by all accounts a decent guy.

Stephen Fry - witty, funny, interesting, intelligent.

Keith Duffy - down to earth and friendly guy, does a lot of work for autism charities.

Johnny Depp - really cool guy, keeps his private life to himself, apparently really nice.

Olivia Newton John - great attitude to life, no matter what it's thrown at her.

Bobby Robson - gentleman.

Gary Barlow - very talented and I always thought he seemed friendly, like the kind of bloke you could have a few beers with.

agree with above statement about Gary Barlow and Rowan Atkinson may be funny but is supposed to be a total arrogant pompous a**h*le by all accounts but staying with the positivity...
    leona lewis-is supposed to be sweet plus nice to interview.
    jennifer saunders is supposed to be down to earth and naturally funny
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 102
    Forum Member

Stephen Fry - witty, funny, interesting, intelligent..

1. Well how else would she portray herself? In the industry she's known as being demanding and possessive, just look how badly her bandmates have done... she was pushed by papa knowles.

2. Also infamous for being a bit up his own...

3 The guy according to Ted Casablanca and gossiprocks is a very shady guy with allegedly bad bad things, why do you think he doesn't have a career anymore?

According to imdb a few years ago the nicest celebrity is Adam Sandler!

But really I think the nicest celebs are the ones that go and visit sick kids, war veterans, do fundraisers and waive fees:
    Charlize Theron, Michael J Fox, Bill Gates, Oprah.

Elton John is supposed to be completely unphased and lovely, and he's the record holder for most donations I think(?).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Elton John is supposed to be a real diva, but I think he can take the mickey out of himself so is probably ok.
  • Options
    MAWMAW Posts: 38,777
    Forum Member
    Do we add Joanna Lumley to this list or not.....
  • Options
    yagyag Posts: 1,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MAW wrote: »
    Do we add Joanna Lumley to this list or not.....

God know. Jumping on the Gurkha bandwagon as a self-promotion tool
  • Options
    muppeteermuppeteer Posts: 3,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hilo wrote: »
    1. Well how else would she portray herself? In the industry she's known as being demanding and possessive, just look how badly her bandmates have done... she was pushed by papa knowles.

3 The guy according to Ted Casablanca and gossiprocks is a very shady guy with allegedly bad bad things, why do you think he doesn't have a career anymore?

I get a nice vibe off Beyonce, I've never thought she was a fake and she always comes across as genuine to me compared with Britney etc. Was never sure about the father, always thought he seemed pushy.

Always liked Stephen Fry too, read a lot of positive things from people who'd met him and I admire him for the way he dealt with his illness and spoke so eloquently about it. He's probably a tiny bit up himself at times but not as much as certain "celebs"...

Will Smith still has a career...I haven't heard about these "bad bad things" but I will check them out!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 19,918
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

But really I think the nicest celebs are the ones that go and visit sick kids, war veterans, do fundraisers and waive fees:

Elton John is supposed to be completely unphased and lovely, and he's the record holder for most donations I think(?).

Are you talking about Will Smith? He might have a shady side, but you really can't say he doesn't have a career anymore.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like:

Jeff Bridges
    Johnny Depp
    Tom Hanks
    Michael J Fox
    Ben Affleck
    Susan Sarandon
    Emma Thompson
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I think Adam Sandler does seem lovely.

I don't know about Will Smith as a person, but do you really think he doesn't have a career anymore?:confused: Apparently he's one of the highest grossing actors at the box office these days (although I personally think he's over-rated as an actor).

Elton John is a complete diva, but I'm sure he'd be one of the first to admit it!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Always liked Stephen Fry too, read a lot of positive things from people who'd met him and I admire him for the way he dealt with his illness and spoke so eloquently about it. He's probably a tiny bit up himself at times but not as much as certain "celebs"...

!

1. Definitely. I love him. :)

2. Michael Palin, surely the nicest man in the world. He comes over as a lovely person in Graham Chapman's autobiography, which is a lot more than you can say for Graham Chapmen himself.

3. John Peel, back in the day.

4. Josie Long, one of the very few stand-ups you would like to share a flat with.

5. Peter Gabriel, for his wonderful music over the years, and for loving and caring about musicians round the world we would never have heard without him.

6. Carol Ann Duffy, for the poetry and for sounding like a good egg.

7. Kate Rusby, for being Kate Rusby, surely the finest thing in the world.

8. Muriel Gray, broadcaster, author, campaigner, mountain lover and all-round good guy.

9. Toni Collette, who couldn't act badly if you paid her, and who proved you don't have to look like a Barbie doll to pull Jonathan Rhys Meyers.

10. DCI Hunt. Colonel Brandon in Sense and Sensibility. Dr McCartney in Greenwing. Darcy in the Hollywood Pride and Prejudice. Tragically, all fictional. :cry::cry::cry: And the actors would obviously not be the same thing AT ALL.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 102
    Forum Member
    I get a nice vibe off Beyonce, I've never thought she was a fake and she always comes across as genuine to me compared with Britney etc. Was never sure about the father, always thought he seemed pushy.

Will Smith still has a career...I haven't heard about these "bad bad things" but I will check them out!

I meant Colin Farrell for the shady past.

Was gonna write something about ol' Williard but the Scibots love the web, so no.

I know two people who have met Britney, one who worked on the Matt Lauer interview at her house. She apparently is too down to earth, very 'southern hospitality', just very friendly... see you have got such a tabloid perspective of her, she has never done anything to warrant hatred or show 'falseness' about her, she seems very hurt by how the media and people have treated her over the past few years.
  • Options
    shuddupfluffyshuddupfluffy Posts: 3,274
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yag wrote: »

Joanna Lumley's father was a Major in the Gurkhas. She is hardly jumping on the bandwagon; she has a major link to the regiment - much more than any other well known celebrity.

It influenced the early part of her life and she was immersed in the culture of the Gurkhas from birth.

There are many things that celebrities can be criticised for, but it think your criticism of Joanna Lumley is misplaced in this instance!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,418
    Forum Member

He also does a lot for charity (but quietly), his daughter was ill a few years back, and was treated at a children's hospital in Oxford. He recently donated a lot of money to them :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dolly Parton: Incredibly talented and down to earth. Never heard a bad word against her. Very private.

Meryl Streep: Ditto. Best actor of her generation and not remotely big-headed, even though she could so easily.

Julie Walters: Brilliant actress and lovely in person (I have met her and she was fab).

Stephen Fry: He's brilliant at everything he touches.

Philip Schofield: Always strikes me as very warm and kind.

Dawn French: She makes me laugh a lot and her autobiography is great!

Joan Rivers
    Maureen Lipman
    Linda Evans- loved, loved, loved her on Hell's Kitchen
    Fern Britton
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,138
    Forum Member
    Just to prove that I'm not miserable about everything :p heres the 10 celebs that I have the most time for -

(in no particular order)

1. Carrie Fisher - self proclaimed alcoholic and all round crackpot . She may well be a washed up actress but she'd be the first to laugh at that and that's why I have a place for her in my heart. Check out some of her interviews/ stand-up stuff on youtube - hilarious.

2. Louis Theroux - I like Louis Theroux, he can make the dullest thing seem rather odd and interesting. His unique blend of humour and 'innocent' inquisitiveness make his documentaries head and shoulders above the rest.

3. Dolly Parton - legendary songwriter and great actress. Probably one of the richest women on the planet yet also amazingly down to earth, never shy of putting herself down. She's got such a great attitude, adores her fans, especially the gay ones.

4. Tracy Ullman - I still love Tracy Ullman. Not only did she give us The Simpsons, had 6 songs in the top 100 and been in several great TV shows both here and The States but she also appears in a number of my all time favourite films (Bullets Over Broadway being one).

5. Maggie Smith - probably one of the greatest actress in the UK, if not the world. Effortlessly manages to bring a touch of class to everything and for me, will always be fondly remembered as Susan in Alan Bennett's 'Bed Amongst The Lentils'.

6. Caroline Aherne - I've always had a soft spot for Caroline. Loved her in The Fast Show ('scorchio':p) and loved her more in The Royle Family. It's a shame she's so under-appreciated.

7. Alan Carr - can't watch him on Sunday Night Project (but that's due to JLC) but I'll watch pretty much anything else he does, The Tooth Fairy was hilarious. Jokes about Lidl - I can appreciate that. :D

8. Simon Pegg - he's such an uber-geek but a lovable uber geek. Again, his humour is quite self self-deprecating but it's also quite off kilter. He always seems genuinely honest and down to earth.

9. Stephen Fry - been mentioned here quite a few times now. Those looking for a positive gay role model need look no further.

10..I'm gonna be a bit controversial here and say Aisleyne Horgan-Wallace:o - now I don't normally like zelebs but there's something I find quite charming about Aisleyne and I'm not quite sure what that is. :confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For being good at what they do, my favourite top ten celebrities are:

Terry Wogan
    Anne Diamond
    Sally Jesse Raphael
    James May
    Claire Baldwin
    Judi Dench
    Ed Burne
    Dawn French
    Brian Blessed
    John Barrowman

I forgot Maggie Smith. She is fantastic. I would put her right at the top of my list
  • Options
    Gill PGill P Posts: 21,592
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aisleyne Horgan-Wallace
    Who on earth is that?

My choice would have to be Gethin Jones about whom I have never heard a bad word!
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yag wrote: »

And getting your photo taken with sick kids isn't?
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never actually come into contact with any celebrities, so can't really say who I think's great. I did see the better looking one out of the Grumbleweeds turn his back to me when he was having a conversation on a mobile phone once in Blackpool when he was standing at the back of a theatre.
  • Options
    yagyag Posts: 1,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    And getting your photo taken with sick kids isn't?

I think that isn't such great behaviour either.

However, this is not Lumley vs Jordan, as they are unrelated people.

Lumley jumped on that publicity bandwagon as quick as a flash
  • Options
    shuddupfluffyshuddupfluffy Posts: 3,274
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Joanna Lumley has campaigned for the Gurkhas for years. She didn't jump on when it became a high profile campaign.

Your argument is without fact, but that won't stop you.
  • Options
    Gemski08Gemski08 Posts: 6,256
    Forum Member
    :D This thread has been going a while now and im not that shocked that DS FMs cannot find 10 people they like!!

I like most celebs...and even if I dont particularly like them, I dont think I dislike them intensely as I dont know them.

I like...

JLC
    Alan Carr
    Julie Walters
    Simon Cowell
    Ricky Gervais
    James Morrison
    Take That boys (grown up versions:p)
    The Loose Women
    Richard Branson
    Fern and Phil
    Scott Mills
    Jim Carey
    Mike Myers

Oh yes, Joanna Lumley, Jennifer Saunders, Dawn French, definately Maggie Smith........

Ok Im getting carried away now..I could go on all day:D
  • Options
    alfiewozerealfiewozere Posts: 29,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't dislike any celeb intensely but nor do I really like any - I'm a bit apathetic;)
    I quite like Ant and Dec, and I kind of like Simon Cowell, and Julie Walters seems a good laugh but none of them would make me don my stalker's hat:D
  • Options
    ayrshiremanayrshireman Posts: 9,279
    Forum Member
    Tom Hanks: has this Jimmy Stewart, nice guy image, but there is a rather notorious story of his ego getting far too big after 'Big', and his Oscar nomination.

It is pretty well known in Hollywood that he had the original director fired on 'Turner and Hooch' simply because he didnt want that director, and the studio was unwilling to upset Tom Hanks, light comedy actor now Oscar-nominated actor, so said poor director was dumped and new director hired. Who just happened to be a good friend of Hanks.

Seems a decent man, but that story has always stuck in my head.

Charlize Theron:

Gorgeous woman and good actress, but she (and Townsend) are a bit up themselves for me.

They rather pompously publicly declared they wouldnt get married until gay marriage law was changed. Now, irrespective of the rights or wrongs of that issue, IMO it was utter hubris to think America was/is going to change because a pretty blonde and her barely-known-to-America paramour said they should.

Another celeb then that thinks the world actually takes notice of what they say. When said world couldnt give a Castlemaine XXXX.