Options

camp america - anyone from uk applying?

tellmealltellmeall Posts: 1,468
Forum Member
✭✭✭
ok my mate has been banging on about applying for camp america and she has hit a major problem trying to apply this year, so i thought i would try help, but my head is as fried as hers lol.

it says that applications for summer 2010 are open in august..and its now online for applicants, but the uk isnt on the drop down list of country of residence.

so does this mean that the uk applications are not open until september/october time?

thanks.

Comments

• Options
    ladydragonladydragon Posts: 3,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure...

My daughter registered on the UK site a couple of months ago and had a load of literature arrive in the post...

I think she was waiting until next month before applying via the site and then going to the roadshow in Cardiff when it comes along...

I'll get her to have a peek tomorrow... :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dont want to put you off but my brother is here in the US doing Camp America in the Poconos, Pennsylvania at the moment and while he says the experience of being in the US for an extended amount of time is great, the kids are absolutely awful!! :eek:
    He said they are rude, obnoxious, dont listen, do as they please and give abuse all the time. One kid took his trainers while he was away from camp, vomited in them and put them back in my brothers wardrobe for him to find the next day...
    I'm sure all camps aren't like this though!! :)
  • Options
    ScrolllockScrolllock Posts: 4,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    VickiGri wrote: »
    I dont want to put you off but my brother is here in the US doing Camp America in the Poconos, Pennsylvania at the moment and while he says the experience of being in the US for an extended amount of time is great, the kids are absolutely awful!! :eek:
    He said they are rude, obnoxious, dont listen, do as they please and give abuse all the time. One kid took his trainers while he was away from camp, vomited in them and put them back in my brothers wardrobe for him to find the next day...

Sounds like a very poorly run camp.

Such camps are usually heavy on discipline and troublemakers are not tolerated.
  • Options
    stirlingguy1stirlingguy1 Posts: 7,038
    Forum Member
    I did it several years ago and hated it with a vengance. Wasnt my thing and I left early. I was on an all-boys camp with only guy concillors and I think I was expecting more of a laugh (plus some hot girly councillors!). It was hard work. If you fancy more of a laugh and fun n high jinx, do some repping!
  • Options
    PinkvelvetPinkvelvet Posts: 10,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I did it several years ago and hated it with a vengance. Wasnt my thing and I left early. I was on an all-boys camp with only guy concillors and I think I was expecting more of a laugh (plus some hot girly councillors!). It was hard work. If you fancy more of a laugh and fun n high jinx, do some repping!
    Did you choose to go to an all boys camp, or are you just allocated a camp once you apply and you have no control where you go?
  • Options
    BlokefaceBlokeface Posts: 665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I applied to do this many years ago and even back then after they sent me all the info on 'what they expect of you', it sounded like nothing less than a Concentration Camp.

Needless to say, they received no further correspondence.
  • Options
    NathalieRNathalieR Posts: 16,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My mates have done this and all have had a great time. I did something similar a few years ago called Work USA, kinda run by the same people but you don't work in a camp, you work in potentially a number of things, like parks, theme parks etc. I got to live and work in New Jersey for 4 months, at Six Flags Adventure Theme Park and I had a truly awesome time.
    If there is a number on the site, I'd say give them a call OP and see what they say.
  • Options
    stirlingguy1stirlingguy1 Posts: 7,038
    Forum Member
    Pinkvelvet wrote: »
    Did you choose to go to an all boys camp, or are you just allocated a camp once you apply and you have no control where you go?

I had no control...gave them my skills and they placed me at a camp in the middle of nowhere, in the middle of a forest. I lit up a **** on the first night, and I was immediately looked at like some sort of evil cretin. I guess I was just looking for a more hedonistic summer rather than a military-run army camp....dont even get me started about raising the US flag every morning. I did Eurocamp the year after and that was more my thing...in fact, it was the best summer of my life!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had no control...gave them my skills and they placed me at a camp in the middle of nowhere, in the middle of a forest. I lit up a **** on the first night, and I was immediately looked at like some sort of evil cretin. I guess I was just looking for a more hedonistic summer rather than a military-run army camp....dont even get me started about raising the US flag every morning. I did Eurocamp the year after and that was more my thing...in fact, it was the best summer of my life!

That's what they do in their country. They are quite proud of their flag and their country. What's wrong with that? Why do you feel it is your place to criticise that? That's their culture. You should try and be more open and respectful to other cultures, especially ones you chose to live and work in for some time.

Sorry, but with an attitude like that I'm not surprised you had a miserable time.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    VickiGri wrote: »

I went to an American camp (here in the U.S.) a few times as a kid and never had a problem. Every camp is different. Probably some are good and some are bad.

If you acted that badly at the camp I went to, they just sent you home. Getting sent home for breaking the rules rarely happened, though.
  • Options
    HelicaseHelicase Posts: 4,791
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Scrolllock wrote: »
    That's what they do in their country. They are quite proud of their flag and their country. What's wrong with that? Why do you feel it is your place to criticise that? That's their culture. You should try and be more open and respectful to other cultures, especially ones you chose to live and work in for some time.

Sorry, but with an attitude like that I'm not surprised you had a miserable time.

It's called an opinion. Perhaps you should practise what you preach and respect the culture of forums.

Anyway to the other poster, I bet that flag raising stuff was nauseating. I think it's American insecurities shining through.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Helicase wrote: »
    It's called an opinion. Perhaps you should practise what you preach and respect the culture of forums.

I was also expressing my opinion. See how that works?

You mean the "culture" of being rude, offensive, and totally disrespectful to other cultures? Right.
    Helicase wrote: »
    Anyway to the other poster, I bet that flag raising stuff was nauseating. I think it's American insecurities shining through.

No, the "insecurities shining through" come from those that say such things because their "flag raising stuff" shouldn't affect you in any way, yet somehow you are offended by it to the extent that you have to resort to just another foolish example of the boneheaded anti-Americanism you see so much in this forum.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was also expressing my opinion. See how that works?

You mean the "culture" of being rude, offensive, and totally disrespectful to other cultures? Right.

No, the "insecurities shining through" come from those that say such things because their "flag raising stuff" shouldn't affect you in any way, yet somehow you are offended by it to the extent that you have to resort to just another foolish example of the boneheaded anti-Americanism you see so much in this forum.

Plus it's called 'Camp America'. Would have thought it obvious that the USA flag would have appeared at some point!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds like a very poorly run camp.

Such camps are usually heavy on discipline and troublemakers are not tolerated.

I get the feeling the managers of the camps are "paid extra" to keep the kids there as they are all from extremely wealthy families.

Leanna1989 wrote: »
    I went to an American camp (here in the U.S.) a few times as a kid and never had a problem. Every camp is different. Probably some are good and some are bad.

If you acted that badly at the camp I went to, they just sent you home
    . Getting sent home for breaking the rules rarely happened, though.

I agree totally Leanna, I don't doubt for a minute that all camps are bad, I bet they are great a lot of them. Just unlucky for my bro that he has ended up at one where the kids are little b*ggers!! :D