Should I quit my job before finding another one?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,177
Forum Member
I'm not really sure what to do about my situation tbh. I hate my job, I've felt like this for a long time, but lately since a lot of people who I became very good friends with left and a load of new people I can't stand started, my job actually depresses me. It's starting to impact on the rest of my life and I feel like I can't bear it any longer. I had some time off due to illness and holiday recently and I felt so much better not having to go there, like a different person, so much happier and care free. It made me think that I have to leave.

I'm a student and currently work 10 hours a week (with overtime), I have no debt except student loands and have around £500 savings. I could open a student account with an interest free overdraft of a couple of grand to tide me over until I find another job and I get over a £1000 from student finance again in a few months.

I'm just worried I won't be able to find another job (even though I was offerred two recently and turned them down due to various reasons which I now regret) and will get into loads of debt and be even more depressed than I am now. Plus I am going on holiday with my friends in August and I'm worried I won't have found a job by then and won't be able to afford to go.

Has anyone got any advice please? I'm desperate, sorry for the rambling post btw :(

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    laura:) wrote: »
    I had some time off due to illness and holiday recently and I felt so much better not having to go there, like a different person, so much happier and care free. It made me think that I have to leave. (

I felt just like that one time and I decided to leave. Took me a year to get another job and the feel good factor of being away from it quickly wore off after a month or so. I even regretted leaving after a few months even though I hated it so much so I wouldn't recommend doing that unless you're loaded or you can walk into another job within a month.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I totally understand where you're coming from but I don't think anyone would be wise to quit a job without a new one to go to at the moment. I ran up loads of debt at uni whilst working 16-20 hours, with student loans etc and I'm still suffering for it now, almost 10 years later. How many hours do you work and in what sector? Ie if you do 20 hours in retail, can you request to be dropped onto 10 or 12?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,177
    Forum Member
    I totally understand where you're coming from but I don't think anyone would be wise to quit a job without a new one to go to at the moment. I ran up loads of debt at uni whilst working 16-20 hours, with student loans etc and I'm still suffering for it now, almost 10 years later. How many hours do you work and in what sector? Ie if you do 20 hours in retail, can you request to be dropped onto 10 or 12?

I used to work 14 hours, then dropped it to 10 because I couldn't stand working there three days a week. So I don't get that much money from it really just over £200 a month and I get by fine. I work in retail, it's never really been the industry for me tbh from the start I didn't feel suited. But lately they keep pushing me to give the hard sell to the customers and I feel really uncomfortable with it. My area manager has turned very nasty since her husband passed away as well and takes great delight in being a bitch to everyone especially me as she knows I'm scared of her.

A load of people left because they were sick of it and I don't enjoy working with the new people who have started. They aren't sociable at all and I find them really dull and hard to talk to, they also tell lies about me to try and get me into trouble (sounds very childish I know) and are unwilling to do anyone any favours ever like cover/swap shifts or anything

The only reason I stayed there so long was because I had loads of friends there and now they have gone there is no good side to it at all.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I would suggest you sit down and do that maths, you get by fine WITH the £200 extra but would you manage without it?

Tbh it sounds like you've already made your mind up and you just want someone to tell you leaving is the right thing to do, but be very very careful. Not only are jobs hard to find at the moment, but it won't be THAT long til the school leavers (who are a lot cheaper to employ) are applying for the jobs you might want, and most people at the moment, with so many applications to choose from, will pick someone who isn't restricted as to the hours they can work (like a student is).

I totally understand why leaving seems like the best thing to do, but I would advice you to be very very careful before you decide, what would you lose per month without that wage? What happens if it takes you over a year to find another job - how much debt will you have in the meantime? Don't forget that 10 hours a week less at work is (apart from anything else) 10 hours a week extra to be bored and go shopping, or be bored and sit at home eating, etc, so you might find you spend more once you stop working.

All stuff to think about.
  • trinity2002trinity2002 Posts: 16,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is completely up to you laura. You need to put a price on your happiness and ask yourself if it is worth it. That is all I can really say.
  • hatpeghatpeg Posts: 3,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is always easier to get another job when you are working.
    Although it is hard in the current climate, I would apply fro jobs whilst still employed - it shows an Employer you can stick at a job, and also you have some self motivation to better yourself.

Rightly or wrongly if you become unemployed, the longer it goes on, the harder it will be to get another job, and Empoyers still prefer job changing staff rather than unemployed staff.

Life aint easy but stick at it and you will eventually get a more suitable job.

Good Luck.
  • ZeoleZeole Posts: 1,184
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been in a job I hate for about 3 and a half years, hate everything about it.

But it pays my bills and there is absolutely nothing else about at the moment in this country. So I suck it up and just do it. Although I have dropped my hours significantly because I find being there to depressing.

I have in the past quit a job without having another one lined up, but it wasnt during a recession and I had a few months worth of savings to rely on which I dont have now. Even so, I landed a temp job within a week of quitting did that for 9 months and then got the job i'm doing now.

You would be mad to do that in the current climate imo.

Although if you are willing to work abroad there are places that will kill for a hard working qualified brit.
  • ShizukuShizuku Posts: 2,258
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stick it out till you find a new job.

Don't quit. I have learnt this the hard way.

Since then, I have had another job where I was really really depressed, but I knew to quit without having another job to go to would have only made things worse, I stuck it out and now I am glad.

You can be proud of yourself after, that you didn't give up and you saw it through.

In the meantime, just keep telling yourself there is a light at the end of the tunnel, you will ifnd another job, you might know know when and where but you will :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,177
    Forum Member
    Thanks for all your replies. :) I think I'm just going to apply to loads of jobs and wait until I find one before I leave. I hate it there, but I'd hate it even more if I had no money, was in loads of debt and couldn't go anywhere or do anything.
  • ShizukuShizuku Posts: 2,258
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    laura:) wrote: »
    Thanks for all your replies. :) I think I'm just going to apply to loads of jobs and wait until I find one before I leave. I hate it there, but I'd hate it even more if I had no money, was in loads of debt and couldn't go anywhere or do anything.

Exactly :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,146
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    my Dad always says "its easier to get a job when your employed" and from my personal experience i would say this is fairly true although i have no idea why.....
  • kendogukkendoguk Posts: 13,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dont most people hate their jobs? :) I hate mine aswell B&M Bargains btw. I would reccomend keeping your current job while looking for another one.

Ive got two interviews next week when i was unemployed it took several months to get even 1 interview let a lone 2 in the space of a week :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I disagree that everyone dislikes their job as I used to love mune but over the years I'm no longer a happy chappy...however, even if you felf you could afford it I would seriously advise you to wait til you have another job!

The additional agro will at least pay for a nice holiday :) well worth it!
  • SproggSprogg Posts: 16,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It really depends just how much you hate it. Personally, I'd be happier skint than going through such misery but then again, it's only 10 hours a week. Imagine what it's like for people who hate their jobs just as much as you do but have to be there 35 hours+ a week.
  • plateletplatelet Posts: 26,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was stuck in a job I'd come to hate for close to a year before I found one I'd really enjoy. I could have jumped ship sooner but could well have ended in exactly the same boat.

Sticking it out allows you to be choosy about where you end up next rather than running out of cash and being forced to take something just because it's all that's on offer
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Geordiesi wrote: »
    my Dad always says "its easier to get a job when your employed" and from my personal experience i would say this is fairly true although i have no idea why.....

Maybe because you can just say to the new employer that you're looking to better yourself with this great opportunity. An unemployed person who left their last job voluntarily might just come across as a quitter and someone who doesn't work well with others even though both situations are essentially much the same. That's one theory. :D
  • DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    id say try and stick it out, just in case you cant find anything else, but if you truly hate your job, it may be better for you to leave... my husband started getting very depressed with his job and in the end he decided to leave. it took 2 month to find another and money was tight, but i preferred being skint with a happy husband to the alternative.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had this exact same thing... I was in a job I didnt enjoy, got made redundant and was off for 4.5 months, applying for everything going. Landed a job that literally sounded like my dream job, and I even got a very good payrise which I totally wasnt expecting, not in this climate anyway! And I was about 6 weeks in and I just couldnt stand it. I literally felt ill in the mornings at the thought of having to spend 9 hours there. I was so miserable, and I really felt like it was impacting on everything else... Outside of work, I just wasnt me... It seemed to affect my relationships with everyone around me.
    There was a change around in management, and I fessed up to my new manager, who has literally been amazing and is changing everything around, albeit gradually so everyone is happy. Although its still not amazing (I dont have enough work to do, although I am slowly getting more and volunteering to do things), its much more enjoyable than it was before.

I know how you feel, and I was literally a day away from giving my notice in. If you are unhappy, you are unhappy. If its THAT bad, I'd get a loan and look for another job. But only you can decide whether a few months off work is worth another grand or so added to your student loan.
  • skunkboy69skunkboy69 Posts: 9,506
    Forum Member
    No way would I stay in a job that depressed me so much.My happiness is worth far more than money.
  • ZincubusZincubus Posts: 2,951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is far better to keep your job UNTIL you have a new one sorted out.
  • Sun_BeamSun_Beam Posts: 11,600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm thinking of going for a career change and starting a new course in September. Am working 10 hrs a week (plus overtime as and when - really like my job, thankfully.) Did have a stupid thought of possibly leaving to try and get a full-time job before September as I'll hate going back to basic wage after working so much over Christmas, but I realised that small amout a month is better than none as if I dont end up going to college in September, then at least I'll still have my job whilst looking at what to do next. If I quit now and didn't go for the course, then I'd be on skid row with no money (except for my Jan pay) for the Job Centre for 6 weeks and then having to go on a bloody mind-numbing 13-week course! But on the other hand, only the OP knows what her place of work is like and if she can really struggle with it anymore.
  • ZincubusZincubus Posts: 2,951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am fairly sure that bosses look more favourably at people who already have jobs.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 115
    Forum Member
    Ain't being funny luv, your a student worrying about a 10 hour a week job. Go an get a bar job or something and stop ****ing moaning! Jesus!

You don't even like the job and theres plenty out there!:mad:
  • chris2k2chris2k2 Posts: 9,886
    Forum Member
    mikey2007 wrote: »
    I felt just like that one time and I decided to leave. Took me a year to get another job and the feel good factor of being away from it quickly wore off after a month or so. I even regretted leaving after a few months even though I hated it so much so I wouldn't recommend doing that unless you're loaded or you can walk into another job within a month.

Almost the same as you, left my employer March last year and at the moment still unemployed despite multiple interviews.

However, I am not really that stressed out over leaving, has when I was working the company made my life hell, but do want to get back into the working routine soon to start earning more than the £60 a week I get now.

People are saying here that it is easier to get another job whilst working. This isn't always the case. When out of work you are able to spend as much time possible job-searching, sending off CV's, ringing up agents & companies, attening interviews at short notice.

All this you can't really do when working as when you get home the agents have left and you don't like answering your mobile at work and it isn't always easy enough to book time off for interviews.

In my case, something will turn up when it is ready. God will choose when that time is for me. It can be rough some times, but other times it's ok.
  • Jay BigzJay Bigz Posts: 5,338
    Forum Member
    skunkboy69 wrote: »
    No way would I stay in a job that depressed me so much.My happiness is worth far more than money.

Spot on - I just had to leave my job last week! I couldn't take it anymore!

It was only supposed to be a temp job for a week through an agency, but the client extended the contract for 3 months, with an internal offer at the end, where I would go on another 3 months probation :yawn:

Well for me, it's worked out great, as I've had a nice bit of rest, had plenty of time to apply for new stuff, and I have bagged an interview, which is tomorrow, for a job that is much more suited to me than the one I was doing - I doubt I would have came across this great opportunity if I'd have stayed in my former job, which I detested every minute of.

Not that I would 'advise' it as such, but if you really hate a job, just get the hell out of there (especially if you have savings).

There's nothing like a good bit of pressure to up the ante on your job hunting e.g not having an income

The majority of people who really want a job will get one too - I don't understand the people who can't find one to be honest. If you're unskilled, there are plenty of unskilled positions where you could start tomorrow. If you are skilled, then are plently of roles which require certain skills.

I'm sure that the people who claim they can't find work are refusing to do certain jobs, and maybe only applying to one or two that suit them.

If I don't get this job tomorrow, I'm going back to bar work (which is quite frankly beneath my level of skill) until I find something better, or more appropriate.