Is there traffic shaping on BT Infinity?

Satellite JohnSatellite John Posts: 1,881
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Do BT traffic shape on BT Infinity?

e.g. P2P traffic speed restricted in daytime?

Thanks

Comments

• d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,524
    Forum Member

That's helpful, so the only traffic management is on P2p at busy times (albeit a longer busy time than VM, up to midnight).

Nothing else is traffic-managed, so as a non-P2P user, that's brilliant. BT Infinity here I come! :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    d'@ve wrote: »
    That's helpful, so the only traffic management is on P2p at busy times (albeit a longer busy time than VM, up to midnight).

Nothing else is traffic-managed, so as a non-P2P user, that's brilliant. BT Infinity here I come! :)

That is correct.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 30
    Forum Member
    Not correct.....

BT do and they also reserve the absolute right to traffic manage as they see fit, on any or all traffic.

email the execs on crs.hlc@bt.com to confirm.

Stream lots of iplayer?
    Download Linux disc images?

then you will be throttled.

Depends on local network capacity...obviously.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not correct.....

BT do and they also reserve the absolute right to traffic manage as they see fit, on any or all traffic.

Stream lots of iplayer?

Proof please? This isn't in any documentation and I've never experienced it. No one I know has either.
  • mpmc17mpmc17 Posts: 2,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not correct.....

Stream lots of iplayer?

Complete rubbish!

I'm constantly downloading & streaming at the same time & never experienced any throttling.

My torrents are fine during the day too (using encryption, without it they crawl.)

BT only throttle P2P during the day.
    Forum Member
    Not correct.....

Stream lots of iplayer?

I don't accept that (as a matter of practice rather than theory) without evidence, and isolated examples don't count. I've been reading up on OFCOM's policy on this and now, all major ISPs have to publish their traffic management policy and stiock to it. BT's management policy is what satellite john linked to, I read up on and MikeB confirmed i.e P2P only, at the specified times of day.

I also suspect that BT Infinity is too new to be suffering any contention issues yet and hopefully not for a long time.

If you have solid evidence to back your claim I'd love to see it, as it could affect my decision to go to BT Infinity.
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *MikeB* wrote: »
    Proof please? This isn't in any documentation and I've never experienced it. No one I know has either.

Well they do that on their ADSL service, which is why I gave them the boot, so it would not surprise me if they did it on the Fibre service.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    Well they do that on their ADSL service, which is why I gave them the boot, so it would not surprise me if they did it on the Fibre service.

The traffic shaping is the same on both. P2P only. I've had BT Total Broadband and now I have BT Infinity.

BT would be very foolish to traffic shape or limit speeds on anything else other than P2P without publicising this.

They're not that stupid, and they don't do it.
  • ilovekrysilovekrys Posts: 1,612
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The traffic shaping is the same on both. P2P only. I've had BT Total Broadband and now I have BT Infinity.

BT would be very foolish to traffic shape or limit speeds on anything else other than P2P without publicising this.

well if that was the case how come at 5 on the dot my friends speed goes from 37 mb to between 12 and 15mb and its not like they use a lot either
    Forum Member
    ilovekrys wrote: »
    well if that was the case how come at 5 on the dot my friends speed goes from 37 mb to between 12 and 15mb and its not like they use a lot either

Doing some crafty P2P!

Perhaps. ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No idea, it isn't what you think though.

I'm sorry can people please stop coming on here and talking absolute rubbish and making stuff up. People are asking for help on the forum, if you don't know the answer to something just shut up rather than making it up.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

But they do, when I was with BT ADSL service my sync speed would be about 3megabits and yet speed tests would give me under two, that was until they so called updated our exchange to their ADSL2+ service and then it went to pot.

I could never watch Iplayer because Bt would restrict it, they say they don't but they do.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No idea, it isn't what you think though.

I'm sorry can people please stop coming on here and talking absolute rubbish and making stuff up. People are asking for help on the forum, if you don't know the answer to something just shut up rather than making it up.

i think I will stay as I am and give this fibre thing a miss
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,207
    Forum Member
    But they do, when I was with BT ADSL service my sync speed would be about 3megabits and yet speed tests would give me under two, that was until they so called updated our exchange to their ADSL2+ service and then it went to pot.

I could never watch Iplayer because Bt would restrict it, they say they don't but they do.
    I can't agree with you, unless you had Option One which is shaped for that sort of traffic and BT clearly state that in their Ts & Cs.

Everyone on BT round these parts has ADSL Max and, other that as above, it is NOT Traffic Shaped. That being the case and any such policy being across all of there subscribers, you need to look elsewhere for the problem that you had.

BTW, this thread is about Infinity.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only thing traffic shaped on BT Fibre is P2P. I know, I've been on it for months and I'm a regular on their forum.
  • ilovekrysilovekrys Posts: 1,612
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    d'@ve wrote: »
    Doing some crafty P2P!

Perhaps. ;)

Nope they don't because she is hardly there so she only uses about 2gb a month if that. Also she don't know how to do that also sort of thing. So i don't know what it is.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You should get her to speak to BT then as it's probably something they can fix - it's definately not normal.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i think I will stay as I am and give this fibre thing a miss

I'm sorry but you're talking utter rubbish.

So you could have tried asking them to put you back onto normal ADSL1 or reported a fault. ADSL2+ is often not as fast on long lines and seems to be more sensitive to star wiring inside houses. Just because you keep saying 'they do' doesn't mean we will agree with you because you are absolutely wrong.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12
    Forum Member
    My brother uses BT Infinity and hasn't experienced it
    Forum Member
    Nope they don't because she is hardly there so she only uses about 2gb a month if that. Also she don't know how to do that also sort of thing. So i don't know what it is.

Well I've gone and done it now, I've ordered it. :eek:

I'll let you know. :D
  • The SackThe Sack Posts: 10,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My speed has never changed from 37mbit and we batter iplayer, netflix etc
  • misawa97misawa97 Posts: 11,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Something has happened to mine this month. Up until probably around the 10th of Jan I download files and get 4 - 5mb per sec. However since then I am down to 2 - 2.5 mb per sec.

Is it worth me calling BT just to see why this is?
  • JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is that millibits (what you wrote), megabytes or megabits per second? :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,207
    Forum Member
    misawa97 wrote: »
    Something has happened to mine this month. Up until probably around the 10th of Jan I download files and get 4 - 5mb per sec. However since then I am down to 2 - 2.5 mb per sec.

Is it worth me calling BT just to see why this is?
    Neither of those numbers make any sense for Infinity. Are you sure that is what you have?