BBC 5 Live General Chit Chat

Comments

• lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    .. and what a fine publication PE is...I've been reading it for the last 45 years and it breaks many news stories far in advance of any national newspaper or radio and tv outlet.Much of the time the other outlets are playing catch up.

Private Eye is too often in jokes amongst a narrow clique.

Also they are not always first.

Private Eye: Five Years Behind Guido

Private Eye: Now Two Months Past Its Sell-By-Date
  • CyrilTheWaspCyrilTheWasp Posts: 2,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    Private Eye is too often in jokes amongst a narrow clique.

Also they are not always first.

Private Eye: Five Years Behind Guido

Private Eye: Now Two Months Past Its Sell-By-Date

Private Eye has been going for 50 years.

Tell me, how long Guido Fawkes has been in existence ? 2004 wasn't it ?
  • redvers36redvers36 Posts: 4,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ian F 2012 wrote: »
    And they gave it a stupid title as well - "Whats eating Luis Suarez". a cheap shot, and as the previous poster says, a subject done to death, not least by %Live themselves.I caught part of it, and they really were scraping the bottom of the barrel. I'm a football fan, but as they did not have the rights to cover the game live they could have showed some imagination and used the time to cover other sports.

I agree that the tile of the programme was a really cheap shot by the BBC.
  • Mapperley RidgeMapperley Ridge Posts: 9,922
    Forum Member
    redvers36 wrote: »
    I agree that the tile of the programme was a really cheap shot by the BBC.

Hilarious indeed - from the thread that features frequent name calling jibes against many of the station's broadcasters.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I enjoyed Sam Matterface and Andy's commentary last night.

Far superior to 5 live's dream team of Green and Savage.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    redvers36 wrote: »
    I agree that the title of the programme was a really cheap shot by the BBC.

Scraping the barrel I think its called.

I expect the time could have been used better with a tribute to 5live's own SH and his after match football reports or whatever he got up to.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40
    Forum Member
    Thank you Bill for your undeserved but generous and kind comments, it is very much appreciated.I am greatly encouraged by your support and your extremely perceptive,well considered and observant points of view on 5Live, which I am sure many will agree with.Many thanks again.

Pleasure Cyril and thank you Ian F for your earlier comments. Let's hope our voices will be heard as I believe there are many who really feel strongly about the deterioration in Five Live during the day time - this needs addressing.
  • wns_195wns_195 Posts: 13,568
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the time could have been used better with a tribute to 5live's own SH and his after match football reports or whatever he got up to.

It wouldn't be the same without his choice of words.
  • lordlozlordloz Posts: 3,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    .. and what a fine publication PE is...I've been reading it for the last 45 years and it breaks many news stories far in advance of any national newspaper or radio and tv outlet.Much of the time the other outlets are playing catch up.

It does indeed prick the bubble of pomposity of ridiculous celebs & politicians & broadcasters.......it would be sadder world without it..... ;)

Shame some people cant accept comments on here as being in the same spirit but take them too seriously as jibes and hate....

In other news....last night for livesey tonight.....big love-in on there makes it sound like he's been on there for as long as Ken Bruce! :D

But looks like no farewell party for him and definitely no more broadcasts ever from Stuart hall........

Shame he turned out to be such an odious individual - I enjoyed his personality & old English character on tv & radio...

...... another bit of childhood memories shattered by vile people
    :(
  • The_SleeperThe_Sleeper Posts: 201,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    so who's sitting in the big chair then nxt week ? .......... 10-1 pm? :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    so who's sitting in the big chair then nxt week ? .......... 10-1 pm? :confused:

Phil Williams I'm afraid.....:yawn:
  • The_SleeperThe_Sleeper Posts: 201,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    lordloz wrote: »
    Phil Williams I'm afraid.....:yawn:

Thanks for that, but never heard of him !
  • Robbie01Robbie01 Posts: 10,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On Up All Night yesterday (Thursday morning) at the end of Bill Nicholson's USA Today slot, Rod revealed that Bill is retiring and as a result will be leaving USA Today and it will also be the end of his nightly 5 Live slot too. Rhod did say Bill would be back next week for his final broadcast.

Rhod did say what night (or early morning) will be his last broadcast on 5 Live, but as I was half asleep at the time I can't remember fully what he said! I'm assuming it's going to be Tuesday morning though given Rhod mentioned it this week.
  • superbike999superbike999 Posts: 453
    Forum Member
    Robbie01 wrote: »
    On Up All Night yesterday (Thursday morning) at the end of Bill Nicholson's USA Today slot, Rod revealed that Bill is retiring and as a result will be leaving USA Today and it will also be the end of his nightly 5 Live slot too. Rhod did say Bill would be back next week for his final broadcast.

Rhod did say what night (or early morning) will be his last broadcast on 5 Live, but as I was half asleep at the time I can't remember fully what he said! I'm assuming it's going to be Tuesday morning though given Rhod mentioned it this week.

Bill has been on early tonight, about 0120/0125. He said his last broadcast would be Tuesday, USA time, so I presume that would be Wednesday morning UK time. It's a pity he's finishing, even though it's a short spot, it's one of the highlights of the day. Rhod said last night that if anyone wants to send good wishes to Bill, he will forward them on.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

In other news....last night for livesey tonight.....big love-in on there makes it sound like he's been on there for as long as Ken Bruce! :D

Incredible isn't it ?What earth shattering news this was.. ' Radio presenter has his work times schedule altered by new boss ! ' Every time I have tuned into the Livesey programme for the the last 4/5 weeks to get some actual news or sports results,all I heard was him wittering on about the fact that he was leaving his late night spot and he would have to get up at 3 am to do his new weekend morning shows ! He seemed to think he was such a ' star ',popular, an institution and up himself, that he begrudged that fact that J.Wall had the nerve to move him from his present spot and all we had was Livesey sticking 2 fingers up to Wall with a prolonged and drawn out goodbye..Why can't these 5live people leave with some dignity and just broadcast they are working at a different time a few days before going ? It' s my theory all along that they think themselves so important that they themselves want to make the news and listeners should be writing to the Times or their MP because they think a 5live presenter will be such a loss.From what I heard it was so over the top but a few minutes of a broadcaster milking every minute was enough for me.Good grief he has only been broadcasting on 5live a few years.Other people do have their work times changed you know.

Sorry Bill Nicholson is going, he was so precise in his USA Today spot and made it all sound very interesting.He was so humble they he didn't need to have a big fanfare for his retiring and he has been on 5live ever since I can remember.
  • streaky-baconstreaky-bacon Posts: 429
    Forum Member
    But looks like no farewell party for him and definitely no more broadcasts ever from Stuart hall........

Shame he turned out to be such an odious individual - I enjoyed his personality & old English character on tv & radio...

...... another bit of childhood memories shattered by vile people
    :(

The accusations against SH turning out to be true really did take me by surprise were Saville didn’t, when he stood outside court in January and made his plea of innocence I have to admit to believing him. VD reporting it yesterday really did seem shocked and disgusted. I remember him well on Look Northwest and It’s a Knockout, I agree about childhood memories being shattered by vile people, hope it not true about Rolf as well.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The accusations against SH turning out to be true really did take me by surprise were Saville didn’t, when he stood outside court in January and made his plea of innocence I have to admit to believing him. VD reporting it yesterday really did seem shocked and disgusted. I remember him well on Look Northwest and It’s a Knockout, I agree about childhood memories being shattered by vile people..l.

What makes this and previous revelations, in this whole sordid business, even more creepy is the fact that other BBC people knew something or were at least suspicious but failed to act and turned a blind eye.Totally and utterly disgusting.
  • streaky-baconstreaky-bacon Posts: 429
    Forum Member
    What makes this and previous revelations, in this whole sordid business, even more creepy is the fact that other BBC people knew something or were at least suspicious but failed to act and turned a blind eye.Totally and utterly disgusting.

I agree when you hear a former producer saying SH had his own room in BBC Manchester were he entertained women / girls in the afternoon but it is wrong to use the cases from the past to bash today’s BBC, society and the BBC has hopefully changed.
  • Lone DrinkerLone Drinker Posts: 1,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Incredible isn't it ?What earth shattering news this was.. ' Radio presenter has his work times schedule altered by new boss ! ' Every time I have tuned into the Livesey programme for the the last 4/5 weeks to get some actual news or sports results,all I heard was him wittering on about the fact that he was leaving his late night spot and he would have to get up at 3 am to do his new weekend morning shows ! He seemed to think he was such a ' star ',popular, an institution and up himself, that he begrudged that fact that J.Wall had the nerve to move him from his present spot and all we had was Livesey sticking 2 fingers up to Wall with a prolonged and drawn out goodbye..Why can't these 5live people leave with some dignity and just broadcast they are working at a different time a few days before going ? It' s my theory all along that they think themselves so important that they themselves want to make the news and listeners should be writing to the Times or their MP because they think a 5live presenter will be such a loss.From what I heard it was so over the top but a few minutes of a broadcaster milking every minute was enough for me.Good grief he has only been broadcasting on 5live a few years.Other people do have their work times changed you know.

Sorry Bill Nicholson is going, he was so precise in his USA Today spot and made it all sound very interesting.He was so humble they he didn't need to have a big fanfare for his retiring and he has been on 5live ever since I can remember.

Couldn't agree more about Livesey. What a load of self indulgent nonsense that was last night. The bloke is a seedy egotist whose presence will not be missed one bit. Hope it's a new broom and the 'relationships' woman and the bump features are never heard again.
  • GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    James Delingpole????????

I know the beeb are running scared about so-called left-wing bias, but putting a right-wing troll on is just ridiculous, to talk about the council elections. The man was just awful. Seemed to have no idea that these elections aren't exactly in Labours heartland. Just had pre-prepared nonsense to spout.

Plenty of sensible right-wing commentators they can put on, without pandering to this idiot.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    James Delingpole????????

I know the beeb are running scared about so-called left-wing bias, but putting a right-wing troll on is just ridiculous, to talk about the council elections. The man was just awful. Seemed to have no idea that these elections aren't exactly in Labours heartland. Just had pre-prepared nonsense to spout.

Plenty of sensible right-wing commentators they can put on, without pandering to this idiot.

I didn't hear that commentator on there but to be fair they had to counteract what I did hear which was letting the south shields MP read out her whole acceptance anti right wing speech in full
    on livesey which I don't recall as being normal election broadcasting.....
  • GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't hear that commentator on there but to be fair they had to counteract what I did hear which was letting the south shields MP read out her whole acceptance anti right wing speech in full
    on livesey which I don't recall as being normal election broadcasting.....

acceptance speeches have always been part of normal election broadcasting........
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought I'd tuned into a Sarah Millican sketch tbh.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Couldn't agree more about Livesey. What a load of self indulgent nonsense that was last night. The bloke is a seedy egotist whose presence will not be missed one bit. Hope it's a new broom and the 'relationships' woman and the bump features are never heard again.

I heard him say once that his weekends would be ruined because of his change to early morning starts.Good grief no one is forcing to him to work at 5live.Stacks of people work unsociable hours.

Btw that relationship expert ' Rachel Morris ' isn't even married.I would have thought that that would be have been a basic requirement and experience before telling other people how to deal with their marriage problems.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I heard him say once that his weekends would be ruined because of his change to early morning starts.Good grief no one is forcing to him to work at 5live.Stacks of people work unsociable hours.

Btw that relationship expert ' Rachel Morris ' isn't even married.I would have thought that that would be have been a basic requirement and experience before telling other people how to deal with their marriage problems.

Never seen her on the studio webcam ? ;)
This discussion has been closed.