• Options
    PunksNotDeadPunksNotDead Posts: 21,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seeing Jaimes arm without the hand was hard to watch :o
  • Options
    BigFoot87BigFoot87 Posts: 9,293
    Forum Member
    Loved, loved Jamie's 'Millenium Falcon' moment!

And Dany's dragons, they just don't stop growing do they?
  • Options
    DarthchaffinchDarthchaffinch Posts: 7,558
    Forum Member
    Bit confused about where Jon Sno and the wildlings are: the got over the wall and is castle black a little in from there?
  • Options
    HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bit confused about where Jon Sno and the willing are: the got over the wall and is castle black a little in from there?

I assume they are circling round to attack it from the rear. Something it looks like Theon won't be doing ever again, :p
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I get confused at who all the 'grey' people are.

The ones who are in the woods and dungeons.

Most of the ones who are more colourful are easier to recognise.
  • Options
    CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bit confused about where Jon Sno and the wildlings are: the got over the wall and is castle black a little in from there?

Castle Black is right by the Wall however The Wall is 300 miles long, they crossed over some distance from there.

As said they are planning to attack Castle Black from the south so they are heading away from the wall before looping back to it at the point Castle Black is.
  • Options
    SliverOfDiamondSliverOfDiamond Posts: 1,465
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another ep where my main feelings were 'meh'. I suppose it was too much to hope that it would keep up the momentum of the first and second series, but oh dear. It had its moments - especially the Jaime and Brienne story, but I'm getting left with a feeling of 'Oh, is that it for this week then?'

ARRRGH I loved this series, what the heck happened?
  • Options
    SilverCrownSilverCrown Posts: 1,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really enjoyed this episode!

The dragons are fantastic, props to the CGI crew!

I did laugh at Sansa and her discussion about having a family with Tyrion. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I still don't get how they climbed the wall but ended up on the side of it that was below the wall.

It the wall, an actual wall. E.g. it is level on both sides?
  • Options
    CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I still don't get how they climbed the wall but ended up on the side of it that was below the wall.

It the wall, an actual wall. E.g. it is level on both sides?

They climbed down the other side, they just never showed it.

You can though see the Wall in the distant background during the first scene with Jon and Co,
  • Options
    Dr DaveDr Dave Posts: 5,184
    Forum Member
    scamrasc wrote: »
    but no, yeah, greyworm's name...awesome.:rolleyes:

The only person showing the remotest interest in Mr Greyworm was of course your good self. Doubtless there are reasons for that which will become apparent in good time.

So rather than my trying to make much of it you were the one saying it was the sole point of the sequence!

Meanwhile however, back at the torture, I am increasingly coming to the conclusion that the ever grimmer and regrettably repetitive nature of the story isn't down to the producers but Mr Martin - in which case presumably the trend may well continue.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 357
    Forum Member
    Another ep where my main feelings were 'meh'. I suppose it was too much to hope that it would keep up the momentum of the first and second series, but oh dear. It had its moments - especially the Jaime and Brienne story, but I'm getting left with a feeling of 'Oh, is that it for this week then?'

ARRRGH I loved this series, what the heck happened?

There was plenty of momentum in the earlier episodes...Dany sacking Astapor, the night's watch mutiny, the Jaime/Brienne story; the introduction of the brotherhood, the wildlings climbing the wall etc. The most recent episode was very much setting it up for future episodes...it will payoff very soon I believe.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Corwin wrote: »
    They climbed down the other side, they just never showed it.

You can though see the Wall in the distant background during the first scene with Jon and Co,

I always thought it was a cliff with a plateau at the top, but I've just realised it is an actual wall.

http://i441.photobucket.com/albums/qq131/koantemplation/vlcsnap-2013-05-14-00h36m02s197_zps73f4ec0e.png
  • Options
    Captain StableCaptain Stable Posts: 2,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So just out of interest... I thought Castle Black was on the Wall. Why are Snow and the gang heading south? I thought they were going to Castle Black.

And.. Why do they need to? Surely the point of the Wall was to keep them in; to stop them crossing the wall, which they managed...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,105
    Forum Member
    I always thought it was a cliff with a plateau at the top, but I've just realised it is an actual wall.

http://i441.photobucket.com/albums/qq131/koantemplation/vlcsnap-2013-05-14-00h36m02s197_zps73f4ec0e.png

That's from the titles - things may look different there for stylistic reasons. For instance, King's Landing doesn't have spinning towers that can rise out of the ground... :)

Although I'm sure there may be deformations in the Wall, in the actual show, the Wall it's depicted like this:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cX7SfFtW0tY
    (Jon Snow ascending the south side of the Wall from Castle Black)

The Wall is definitely not natural - it was built by humans who lived 8,000 years ago.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    So just out of interest... I thought Castle Black was on the Wall. Why are Snow and the gang heading south? I thought they were going to Castle Black.

And.. Why do they need to? Surely the point of the Wall was to keep them in; to stop them crossing the wall, which they managed...

The idea is that the whole army plus camp followers want to cross it, bag and baggage. Snow and the gang are presumably just part of the overall strategy. Admittedly I don't quite understand that strategy but I put that down to the books probably being more detailed and Ciarán Hinds never playing the sort of bloke who is eager to share his grand designs.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,105
    Forum Member

Castle Black is on the Wall. The series has mentioned that there are numerous forts along the Wall, but only 3 of them are manned. The Wall was originally built to keep out the White Walkers thousands of years ago, not Wildlings. Although by the age depicted in the show, southrons like Tyrion consider White Walkers to be fairytales.

By no means have all the Wildlings crossed to the southern side of the Wall. The show showed only a tiny party ascending it. In the first episode of this season, Jon meets the King-Beyond-The-Wall, Mance Rayder, who orders Tormund (the red-bearded Viking-ish guy) to take twenty warriors with him to attack Castle Black from behind.

The Wildling party climbed the Wall near an unmanned region of it. Now that they're on the south side of the Wall, rather than just walk alongside it (which would make it easy for Castle Black to see them coming), it seems they're circling around to hit them from the rear.

Why are they doing it? In the last episode, Ygritte said that she'd take Jon Snow to Winterfell when they'd 'taken back their land'. The Free Folk see the North as theirs.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought it was a great episode. With a big revelation.

Chris from Skins now knows he's a rightful king. But what does the witch want with him? I've got a feeling it ain't good.

Shame him & Arya got split up. I liked them together.

I would not want to be Theon Greyjoy now. I knew as soon as them women came through Not so little greyjoy would get chopped off. Really want to know what they want with him now though.
    Thought Alfie Allen was a weak acting link in the show in the first two seasons. But he's really stepped up to the mark this season.
  • Options
    ACUACU Posts: 9,104
    Forum Member
    For those that want some info on the wall here it is.
  • Options
    HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Assumedly they intend to attack castle black and open the gates, so their army can get through, They couldn't get an entire army to climb the wall and with the gate closed, they'd be easy pickings for the night's watch.
    Vintage06 wrote: »
    Chris from Skins now knows he's a rightful king. But what does the witch want with him? I've got a feeling it ain't good.

Last time we saw Mellisandre with Stannis, he wanted her to make him another "son." But she said he was too weak. She also said she needed the blood of a king, but it didn't have to come from Stannis as his blood flowed in other people's veins. Stannis is Genry's uncle, so i'm guessing he's in for some rumpy-pumpy time with Mellisandre and we'll be having another vagina smoke monster o the loose.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was Theon fully castrated, or have they left his balls?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Vintage06 wrote: »
    Thought Alfie Allen was a weak acting link in the show in the first two seasons. But he's really stepped up to the mark this season.

That's probably because he hasn't had to do a lot except scream. :eek:

But back at the wall I know these Wildings are tough and Mance has instilled a wee bit discipline and all that - but 20 people aren't much of a diversionary attack are they?
  • Options
    Ancient IDTVAncient IDTV Posts: 10,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dr Dave wrote: »
    That's probably because he hasn't had to do a lot except scream. :eek:

But back at the wall I know these Wildings are tough and Mance has instilled a wee bit discipline and all that - but 20 people aren't much of a diversionary attack are they?

I think they're relying on Jon Snow, with his insider information, to help them to get the gates open.

I wonder if the giant(s) will also travel south. That would be a laugh.

Hope Ghost turns up again.
  • Options
    kimotagkimotag Posts: 11,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    d3nium wrote: »
    Was Theon fully castrated, or have they left his balls?

It's uncertain, but I guess that it would be more sadistic to leave the balls, so Theon would still have the urge, but not the equipment to do anything with it!
  • Options
    kimotagkimotag Posts: 11,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Castle Black is on the Wall. The series has mentioned that there are numerous forts along the Wall, but only 3 of them are manned. The Wall was originally built to keep out the White Walkers thousands of years ago, not Wildlings. Although by the age depicted in the show, southrons like Tyrion consider White Walkers to be fairytales.

By no means have all the Wildlings crossed to the southern side of the Wall. The show showed only a tiny party ascending it. In the first episode of this season, Jon meets the King-Beyond-The-Wall, Mance Rayder, who orders Tormund (the red-bearded Viking-ish guy) to take twenty warriors with him to attack Castle Black from behind.

The Wildling party climbed the Wall near an unmanned region of it. Now that they're on the south side of the Wall, rather than just walk alongside it (which would make it easy for Castle Black to see them coming), it seems they're circling around to hit them from the rear.

Why are they doing it? In the last episode, Ygritte said that she'd take Jon Snow to Winterfell when they'd 'taken back their land'. The Free Folk see the North as theirs.

I always saw the castle as being next to the wall, but with that primitive elevator up to some fortifications at the top, as in the illustration here (minus the fortifications)! http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?591972-Castle-Black-Headquarters-of-the-Night-s-Watch