Is Phil having a personality transplant under DTC??

boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
Forum Member
✭✭
Is Phil having a personality transplant under DTC??

Over the last few weeks we've seen a very different Phil. His empathy & emotional intelligence has just shot throught the roof & he's coming out with more intelligent observations too.

THis is Phil Mitchell FGS- the iconic character who's been in the show for 25 yrs and is established as a thuggist "act now, think later" hardman stereotype.

Actually I LIKE this change in Phil, although its incongruous. Ive never been a fan of the Mitchell bruvs, (God forbid a return of Grant!) for me they belong firmly in the 20th century, BUT- If we're gonna have Phil remain in the show as a major character long term, it needs facing up to that hes aging & cant be running round "sorting out" everybody all the time.

Hows everyone finding the new Phil?

Comments

• ryanr554ryanr554 Posts: 4,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Probably because he is with Sharon, softened him a bit.
  • Dub2Dub2 Posts: 2,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He stopped being believable as a `hardman` when his brother left.

He`s a short, fat, middle aged bloke with a dodgy heart.

He wouldn`t last sixty seconds as a believable hardman in the modern East end.
  • mdtaukmdtauk Posts: 620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ryanr554 wrote: »

I think it is more about what happened with Ben that has changed him.
  • Cuddly_CatCuddly_Cat Posts: 2,900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dub2 wrote: »

This! Absolutely this. You've taken the words right out of my mouth (or keyboard :) )
    Nah, don't think so.
    mdtauk wrote: »
    I think it is more about what happened with Ben that has changed him.
    Possibly.

He's getting older, he can't throw his weight around forever. Taking Alfie with him to threaten Max was a joke.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,348
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dub2 wrote: »

Took the words right out of my mouth, lol.

Thats exactly what Keyzer would say.

Taking Alfie with him to threaten Max was ridiculous - like Alfie is REALLY scary and Phil and him don't get on either, after Philth slung him & Kat out of the Vic, anyway.
  • noodkleopatranoodkleopatra Posts: 12,742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In his early years on EastEnders, Phil showed these qualities a bit. I think it was when they tried to hard to make him thuggy over the years that followed that these qualities disappeared - especially in line with the "Who Shot Phil?" storyline.
  • taliesintaliesin Posts: 1,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In his early years on EastEnders, Phil showed these qualities a bit. I think it was when they tried to hard to make him thuggy over the years that followed that these qualities disappeared - especially in line with the "Who Shot Phil?" storyline.

Very true, I think he changed in the aftermath of Sharongate then when Grant left I think they used him as a substitute. Though tbh I always found Phil more spiteful with his aggression/hardman act whereas Grant was different in someway.
  • Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think there is a reason for this sudden change back to his mid-nineties persona, I think TPTB will expect us to have sympathy for him when he betrays Sharon and/or Ben returns.

But it will not work on me. ;-)

He still thinks he is some sort of invincible living god (as do TPTB) this was shown in that ludicrous scene with Max and Alfie.

One month of human behaviour does not make up for 15 years of total thuggery.
  • KatrinaKKatrinaK Posts: 32,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Although I still think he's a thug and a hyporcite of the highest order, he's been much better with DTC.

His scenes with Jay, Shirley and Ian have been a nice contrast to his usual hardman act.

Still don't like the bloke though. -_-
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,836
    Forum Member

Last time he was with Sharon his character also softened, became more thoughtful less bully-bully - effectively phil reverts to his original characterisation when paired with Sharon. He becomes far more three-dimensional. Sharon has always done wonders for phil / and grant (for the obvious reasons).

Unfortunately they do not tend to do wonders for her character.
  • Heathyheath_Heathyheath_ Posts: 986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I actually have enjoyed Phil coming across as somebody more human in recent weeks although certain aspects of his behaviour suggest to me that he's still the same Phil Mitchell in a lot of ways. He still thinks that he has the right to banish Max from the entire square, still lashes out as his family even when it's not their fault, like how he lashed out at Jay, Lola, Abi and Sharon on the night Ben was revealed as out of jail and still shows a lot of his thug personality traits.

I just think DTC is stopping demonising him and bringing him back to the more level headed person he was before Grant left. This can only be a good thing because Phil as a thug and a monster in my opinion does his character more harm than good.
  • DODS11DODS11 Posts: 2,026
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This was slowly happening during Santers reign but BK and LN reverted him to deflated balloon, hardman stereotype.
  • dd68dd68 Posts: 17,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I never thought he had one in the first place
  • dazza89dazza89 Posts: 13,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Phil has been brilliant these past few weeks, I hope they keep it up.
  • Broken_ArrowBroken_Arrow Posts: 10,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Phil is always nicer when he's with Sharon. Just a shame Sharon herself has become a total bitch.
  • Lizzie BrookesLizzie Brookes Posts: 15,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dazza89 wrote: »
    Phil has been brilliant these past few weeks, I hope they keep it up.
    Phil is always nicer when he's with Sharon. Just a shame Sharon herself has become a total bitch.

I agree - I like this change in Phil.
  • Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's funny they've not tried to make him into a Jack Dalton type. The old man head honcho with the youngsters to do the heavy lifting.
  • danyelldanyell Posts: 10,876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Definately! A few years ago Phil would never comfort Ian like the way he did a few weeks back even if Ians daughter had died back then. Phil would of laughed in his face and told Ian Lucy's better off dead than having a father like him! Lol
  • O-JO-J Posts: 18,850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glad Phil is not all Philth, specially during Lucys death.

I like a return of the 90s Phil.
  • danyelldanyell Posts: 10,876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    benbenalen wrote: »
    Glad Phil is not all Philth, specially during Lucys death.

I like a return of the 90s Phil.

But not when Phil started drinking and hitting Kathy. That's when Philth reared his ugly head!
  • broadshoulderbroadshoulder Posts: 18,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Watching him for 25 years the old phil is still there

I do like bad phil
  • valdvald Posts: 46,057
    Forum Member
    I think they're ageing him up now that there are younger and tougher regulars about. there's no way he could take on Mick, Charlie or Dean. Even peter could take him on with one hand tied behind his back.
  • LiamBerryTea ~LiamBerryTea ~ Posts: 2,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd say he's returning to his roots