Advice - Away for a night

TigerpawsTigerpaws Posts: 11,165
Forum Member
✭✭
Hi all just want to ask what people think. I am going away over night will be leaving approx 10am and returning about 5pm the following day. Do you think its ok to leave the cats over night without anyone coming into feed them.

Obviously I will make sure they have clean litter trays, plenty of dry food and water.
They will be locked in the flat. Theres 2 of them so they should be lonely and I figure its not going to hurt them to stay in the whole time.

Comments

• dollymariedollymarie Posts: 3,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally I wouldn't want to leave my two that long. Can you not give a friend a key to come in and check on them in the evening?
  • TigerpawsTigerpaws Posts: 11,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dollymarie wrote: »
    Personally I wouldn't want to leave my two that long. Can you not give a friend a key to come in and check on them in the evening?

I can but I guess what makes me hesitant is they are not the friendliest cats when it comes to strangers. I have a friend who has my spare keys that I might get to drop in on them in the morning I guess I just don't want them more stressed I expect them to pretty much sleep the whole time.
  • molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They won't sleep the whole time, I remember years ago making the mistake of leaving our late cats for a little less time than you are thinking of doing. Came home to find a curtain in shreds all the nets down, they had decided the litter tray was dirty around the end of the first couple of hours I would estimate from the amount of pooing and weeing that had gone on behind the sofa, under the dining table and behind the bed. A fight had started at some point over food I would imagine and we had a torn and bleeding ear and a bitten cheek to short out when we got back too.

These were two cats who were loving and gentle with each other and clean before we made the mistake.

Decided never to do that again.
  • ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've always left my cats overnight without any trouble. The cats I've had have always been older, more indoorsy cats though, and I've known that they're fine. I have a two-bowl feeder that opens on a timer, so they can have an evening meal and a breakfast before I get back. They're always a bit more affectionate when I do get back, so I assume they were a bit lonely, but there's never been any harm done. I figure it's far less stressful for them than having people coming in to their house, or than going to a cattery.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Elanor wrote: »
    I've always left my cats overnight without any trouble. The cats I've had have always been older, more indoorsy cats though, and I've known that they're fine. I have a two-bowl feeder that opens on a timer, so they can have an evening meal and a breakfast before I get back. They're always a bit more affectionate when I do get back, so I assume they were a bit lonely, but there's never been any harm done. I figure it's far less stressful for them than having people coming in to their house, or than going to a cattery.

I actually plan to go and get a feeder tomorrow for their wet food - they tend to eat more dry food anyway. I do work long hours and used to do night shifts so they are used to being left alone overnight and theres never been a problem. Hence why I figured it would be better than having a strange person coming in.
  • ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,592
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mine's an outdoor cat, so I suppose that may make a difference. But I've quite often left her alone with the automatic feeder for a weekend. Thing is she's not very friendly and the one time I did get someone to come in, they never saw her.
    I would think that as they have each other for company they should be ok - I'd leave them toys out so they can play if they want and maybe set up an extra litter tray just in case.
  • MarellaKMarellaK Posts: 5,781
    Forum Member
    I've left my present, and previous, cats at home alone for a night away with no problems at all. Like you, they've always been used to me working long hours, from 7am when I leave the house, until after 10pm when I return, so a night away doesn't make too much difference really. I've also worked nights.

I leave a food timer and plenty of dry food. They have access to outdoors via a cat flap. They can keep to their normal routines which keeps them feeling secure. I never left my Tabitha alone for more than 24 hours when she was an only cat but felt quite different leaving her with my other cat when he came along. The same nowadays with my current three, they have each other for company and reassurance.

Having said that, when I go away for more than a day and night, I have a cat sitter who I make sure makes the first visit on the same day that I go away, eg if I leave early in the morning, I ask her to visit later in the day and then do twice daily visits until the day I return home. One cat in particular hates visitors to the house, so I can understand your reticence about having someone call around. My cat just has to put up with it because it's either that or the cattery - which she hates even more.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks everyone for your input I appreciate it. :)
  • WolfsheadishWolfsheadish Posts: 10,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've often left mine for 24 hours and they've been fine. I wouldn't leave them alone any longer than that though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just thought i'd let you all know the cats were fine. Got the automatic feeder it worked fine. They were very vocal when i got home but after a run around outside are now curled up with me.:)
  • jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    Tigerpaws wrote: »
    Just thought i'd let you all know the cats were fine. Got the automatic feeder it worked fine. They were very vocal when i got home but after a run around outside are now curled up with me.:)

Paws well that ends well. I know. Groan.

On a general note.

I'm obviously late to the party on this one, but my limited experience of cats is that they are pretty independent and it shouldn't be a problem leaving them unattended for 24 hours, provided they have access to food and water, litter tray(s) etc. My dad's cats weren't even allowed in the house. A warm cat basket in an outhouse was where they lived and they caught a lot of their own food, supplemented by stuff put out in a bowl. They were like furry seagulls and would eat just about anything. Semi feral I guess, but not aggressive to other people and wanted for nothing really. Hardcore cats as well, not overly pampered indoors.

=

I'm not sure why I am writing all this, but I'm pleased to hear you had a good outcome.