Options

My jottings on Apple and large screen iPhones

tdensontdenson Posts: 5,773
Forum Member
This is really an open letter to Swordman and his continual harping on about the fact that Tim Cook said Apple would do large screen iPhones when the time was right, so in Swordsman's words (something like) "it better be good".
Well, the time is right. The initial sales seem to indicate that the market is ripe for larger screens and Apple are sweeping all before them with the new phones. But why wait until now ? A couple of observations -

I have been using the 4.7" iPhone 6 for the last few days and (surprise, surprise you say!) am very impressed by it.
Firstly, they have produced a very thin and relatively lightweight product that feels smaller in the hand than it really is.
Secondly, the issue of one handed operation (yes that old chestnut). Apple in their inimitable style have come up with a novel way of handling this by what they call "reachability". If you double tap (but not click) the home button it scrolls the top of the screen down halfway to make it "reachable". This is rather neat, but only really practical because of the fingerprint reader which turns the home button into a multifunction button.

So, as well as the fact that the market is now good and ready for a large screen phone (thanks Samsung et al for educating the market), the technology is also available for a slick implementation, both in form factor and UI.

Comments

• Options
    Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Reachability has been done before, just in a different way. Apple were not the first to think of making a large screen more use able in one hand.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Reachability has been done before, just in a different way. Apple were not the first to think of making a large screen more use able in one hand.

I'm not saying they were necessarily the first, but as ever they have come up with an elegant solution.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Incidentally, (and genuine curiosity) what is Samsung's approach ?
  • Options
    slattery69slattery69 Posts: 213
    Forum Member
    tdenson wrote: »

This is Samsungs approach on the note 3, think LG have there own version for the G3 as well. Never tried it so no idea if its effect or not

http://www.phonearena.com/news/LG-G3-keyboard-adjusts-its-size-while-learning-how-you-type_id56564 LGs approach

http://www.androidcentral.com/how-shrink-galaxy-note-3-s-display samsungs
  • Options
    Forum Member
    slattery69 wrote: »
    This is Samsungs approach on the note 3, think LG have there own version for the G3 as well. Never tried it so no idea if its effect or not

http://www.phonearena.com/news/LG-G3-keyboard-adjusts-its-size-while-learning-how-you-type_id56564 LGs approach

The Samsung approach looks pretty neat. Not sure why the LG feature is necessarily to do with large phones, surely it would come into its own on smaller phones ?
  • Options
    slattery69slattery69 Posts: 213
    Forum Member
    The Samsung approach looks pretty neat. Not sure why the LG feature is necessarily to do with large phones, surely it would come into its own on smaller phones ?

im sure could be used on either but if it adjusts to take into account the stretch and the mistakes from that , then it would be a nice solution.
    like I say not tried either or the Iphone 6s version so no idea how good any of them are. Plus ive fairly big hands so probably wouldnt need it on any of them

Just looking at the LG apparently theres an option to have a smaller keyboard in the settings called one handed, that shrinks it down across the full phone so dailer , sms browser etc.
  • Options
    Stuart_hStuart_h Posts: 5,311
    Forum Member
    So you could almost reword the OP as:

Apple in their inimitable style have looked at what other people have done and told their customers that they have designed a totally novel way of handling this by what they call "reachability". If you double tap (but not click) the home button it scrolls the top of the screen down halfway to make it "reachable". In the usual way they would expect their buyers to not realise that other "neat" solutions have been in place elsewhere for some time.

So the market is now good and ready for apple to bow to customer requests for a large screen phone (thanks Samsung et al for educating the market) and replicate the technology that has also been available for a slick implementation, both in form factor and UI, for some time. Its now time for apple to step in and claim they invented large screen, usability and the concept of putting a sink in the kitchen.

Have I got that right now ? :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Stuart_h wrote: »

No.

Despite Samsung having what I called a neat solution (not quite as neat as Apple's though:)) it is a non-starter for me as I won't touch Samsung phones because of their bloatware and insistence on distorting vanilla Android.
  • Options
    swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member
    Did the OP make any sense to anyone?
  • Options
    finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No.

Despite Samsung having what I called a neat solution (not quite as neat as Apple's though:)) it is a non-starter for me as I won't touch Samsung phones because of their bloatware and insistence on distorting vanilla Android.

And you know I won’t touch Apple phones because they don’t run any form of Android. Samsung do add some good functionality to large screen phones - large screen being Note class, no one calls a 4,7" phone large screened in 2014 – they have had plenty of practice in the past 3 years. Lets see how Apple iterate on there devices. They do have a problem with iOS though. It is still using the same design as iOS 1. A grid of icons. This is just a waste but then again I can’t see how Apple could improve without having Android style home screens which will never happen.
  • Options
    ACUACU Posts: 9,104
    Forum Member

Simple, use two hands.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    slattery69 wrote: »

The samsung approach, looks a lot slicker than the apple approach to be honest.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    finbaar wrote: »
    They do have a problem with iOS though. It is still using the same design as iOS 1. A grid of icons. This is just a waste but then again I can’t see how Apple could improve without having Android style home screens which will never happen.

Each to his own. I happen to like the "boring" predictability of an IOS home screen and UI. Know exactly what to do when I pick up somebody else's phone to help them. Android always has me stumbling for a few moments until I work out what's going on. Despite the apparent wizziness of Android, when it comes down to the features I really want and need the Apple implementation for me is generally preferable. In fact with IOS 8 I can't think of a single Android feature I now prefer, but there are a few IOS ones which are head and shoulders above the nearest Android equivalents.
  • Options
    calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Apple in their inimitable style have looked at what other people have done and told their customers that they have designed a totally novel way of handling this by what they call "reachability". If you double tap (but not click) the home button it scrolls the top of the screen down halfway to make it "reachable". In the usual way they would expect their buyers to not realise that other "neat" solutions have been in place elsewhere for some time.

So the market is now good and ready for apple to bow to customer requests for a large screen phone (thanks Samsung et al for educating the market) and replicate the technology that has also been available for a slick implementation, both in form factor and UI, for some time. Its now time for apple to step in and claim they invented large screen, usability and the concept of putting a sink in the kitchen.

No.

In particular the bit in bold.

The bit in bold is entirely in your head, and is one of those things that doesn't magically become true just because it gets repeated a lot.

It's really just a myth that a lot of people, yourself included it seems, seem to think is actually true.

If you can post one quote from Apple making any such claim, I'll happily stand corrected. But I think we all know that's not going to happen.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    finbaar wrote: »
    And you know I won’t touch Apple phones because they don’t run any form of Android. Samsung do add some good functionality to large screen phones - large screen being Note class, no one calls a 4,7" phone large screened in 2014 – they have had plenty of practice in the past 3 years. Lets see how Apple iterate on there devices. They do have a problem with iOS though. It is still using the same design as iOS 1. A grid of icons. This is just a waste but then again I can’t see how Apple could improve without having Android style home screens which will never happen.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

It might be boring, but it's still probably the most effective way to access stuff on your phone. Over 200 apps opened with just two taps.

Having said that, I still don't know why the limit the folders to nine apps per page.
  • Options
    PencilBreathPencilBreath Posts: 3,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

kinda feel sorry for them really because they're left with the dregs of the innovation as anything remotely similar to samsungs implementation will lead to them being sued.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    If you double tap (but not click) the home button

How easy is it to accidentally click rather than tap?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not at all easy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ACU wrote: »
    How easy is it to accidentally click rather than tap?

As CP says, not that easy. It's probably because one is accustomed to a light touch on the button for fingerprint recognition.
  • Options
    m4tt24m4tt24 Posts: 843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On the S5 it's pretty easy to go to one handed mode just slide your thumb across the screen and back again. It's pretty nice the way when you go from one handed and turn the phone around landscape it just increases back to full screen and flips back when you turn the phone back
  • Options
    soransoran Posts: 1,646
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One disadvantage of making a large phone too thin, is that it can become misshapen. Already a few reports of this happening to the iphone 6.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ByPEyd_CQAA4XF7.jpg

http://techcrunch.com/2014/09/23/the-iphone-6-plus-gets-bent/
  • Options
    swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member
    They're sitting on it wrong
  • Options
    Stuart_hStuart_h Posts: 5,311
    Forum Member
    calico_pie wrote: »
    No.

In particular the bit in bold.

The bit in bold is entirely in your head, and is one of those things that doesn't magically become true just because it gets repeated a lot.

It's really just a myth that a lot of people, yourself included it seems, seem to think is actually true.

If you can post one quote from Apple making any such claim, I'll happily stand corrected. But I think we all know that's not going to happen.

For goodness sake calico did you not see the smiley at the end ????

Sometimes you are so keen to jump in and protect apples honour you forget that occasionally posts are in jest !!!
  • Options
    FaustFaust Posts: 8,985
    Forum Member
    Each to his own. I happen to like the "boring" predictability of an IOS home screen and UI. Know exactly what to do when I pick up somebody else's phone to help them. Android always has me stumbling for a few moments until I work out what's going on. Despite the apparent wizziness of Android, when it comes down to the features I really want and need the Apple implementation for me is generally preferable. In fact with IOS 8 I can't think of a single Android feature I now prefer, but there are a few IOS ones which are head and shoulders above the nearest Android equivalents.

Yes, like the new predictive keyboard with iOS 8 (can't think where I have seen one of those before).

The implementation is poor on the iPad. If I am typing more than a few lines what often happens now is the text drops below the predictive options so you can't see what on earth you're typing and there's no way to scroll it up any further. :confused:
  • Options
    StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    calico_pie wrote: »
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

It might be boring, but it's still probably the most effective way to access stuff on your phone. Over 200 apps opened with just two taps.

Having said that, I still don't know why the limit the folders to nine apps per page.

So, if I have a folder with 90 apps in it and the app I want is in the middle of the list, how can I get to that and open said app in 2 taps? :confused: