iPhone 6 the same as a Nexus 4 from 2012 lol

Comments

• paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MFi game controller attachment by Lightning or Bluetooth (although seemingly not yet Wi-Fi Direct) (e.g. PhoneJoy)
    )

I'm not familiar with it, but the PhoneJoy site describes it as an game controller for Android phones....
  • jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A lot of the iOS/Android comparisons above are related to hardware and design, and I think there will be loads of differences there.

But there are key differences between iOS and Android. The mere fact that people jailbreak an iPhone to be able to do more is proof that there are things you can't do on an iPhone.

Whether everyone wants or misses those features is up for debate, but Android IS more flexible and allows you to replace almost all system apps and controls with alternatives. And if you root, you can do even more still.

But when you're on a thread mostly frequented by fanboys, you're not going to EVER have a proper debate as any feature that your device or OS doesn't have is merely not worth having. Full stop. No admission that it would be nice, and often a total refusal to believe it's worthwhile and might even be detrimental. That is until said feature is added later on, when it suddenly now becomes useful.

And so it happens every single time.
  • calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jonmorris wrote: »
    If someone wasted time explaining all the things you can do on Android that you can't on an iPhone, bar perhaps a jailbroken one, then what's the betting that each and every thing listed would be considered not important, something you don't need, not relevant etc.

I'd almost bet my house on it!!

Pick a top 3 or a top 5 then, and we'll see.
  • jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not worth my time. And, by the way, that doesn't mean I can't think of 3 or 5 things.

Maybe someone else will entertain you, but I already know how you'll play things. The thing is, I bet you can think of 3 or 5 things yourself.

I'm off to a Sony Mobile event and party shortly, where I'll see all the new Z3 family, the new camera lenses, the PS4 remote play stuff etc. Sure there will be a few things that could go in a top 5 list...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the point here gets missed.

I'm not arguing that one is better than the other, because by and large it's all subjective and comes down to personal preference.

I just disagree with the mantra that iPhone owners are idiots who don't know what they are missing, and would never buy an iPhone if only they knew better.
  • Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the Google chief sums it up pretty well.

Eric Schmidt: Samsung had iPhone 6 level products a year ago

http://www.talkandroid.com/220799-eric-schmidt-samsung-had-iphone-6-level-products-a-year-ago/

although he has been a bit generous by saying it's only a year old.
  • Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    calico_pie wrote: »
    I think the point here gets missed.

I'm not arguing that one is better than the other, because by and large it's all subjective and comes down to personal preference.

I just disagree with the mantra that iPhone owners are idiots who don't know what they are missing, and would never buy an iPhone if only they knew better.

Like it or not, this statement holds some truth. I can't remember how many times people have said they just chose an iPhone because it's "what everyone else has got", but as soon as they upgrade to an Android device, they find they can do much more than before.

I'm not saying that people don't choose iPhones out of preference, clearly they do, but there are those that buy it without really understanding all of their options, they don't really want it. To a tech-muggle (as I like to call them :p) all these phones can look the same, and people can't make informed choices if they are going on what other people say and not what they want themselves.

Logically, Android would not have taken off if it wasn't a viable alternative to the iPhone. Just look at how Windows Phone is struggling even to be noticed. If the product isn't good then it won't sell unless it's homogeneous, and phones these days are differentiated. Apple has just been fortunate that it has a very very strong marketing brand and image to rely on when it comes to selling their products. Without that, the iPhone does look a whole lot less attractive sitting next to the top-dog Android flagships.
  • swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member
    http://www.talkandroid.com/220799-eric-schmidt-samsung-had-iphone-6-level-products-a-year-ago/

Fundamentally he is right
  • seelleeseellee Posts: 10,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why is it that if you own and iOS device you must dislike android devices and vice versa? Why the constant need to belittle people's preferences?

Both iOS and android are good for each other.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    seellee wrote: »
    Why is it that if you own and iOS device you must dislike android devices and vice versa? Why the constant need to belittle people's preferences?

Both iOS and android are good for each other.

I would dispute the "and vice versa" part.

I don't think there's very much belittling of people who prefer Android. Each to their own and all that.

But I think there is definitely a mantra that people who buy iPhones are dumbasses who have been sucked in by Apple, and whatever else, they can't possibly have actually chosen an iPhone simply out of personal preference.
  • finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The vast majority of the phone buying public are dumbasses. There are plenty who have to have the latest iPhone on the day it comes out. And there are loads of people who want a 'Galaxy' because Samsung are cool. I know lots of people who not only don't know what version of Android they are running they don't even know how to find out. Most users would be fine with the Moto G or the iPhone 5C but the allure of shiny shiny is very strong.

It is stupid when people say iPhone users know no better and stupid when others say all Android users of big phones were just waiting for Apple release their big screen devices and they will abandoned Android.
  • Stuart_hStuart_h Posts: 5,311
    Forum Member
    I made such a list a few days ago for some work I'm doing:

Advantages of iPhone:

- Waterproof and drop-proof cases, extended battery cases, solar charging, and a combination of all (e.g. Snow Lizard)
    - Physical keyboard attachment (e.g. Typo2)
    - MFi game controller attachment by Lightning or Bluetooth (although seemingly not yet Wi-Fi Direct) (e.g. PhoneJoy)
    - Up to 128GB capacity
    - Oxford Dictionary and Thesaurus in one app with cheaper bundle pricing
    - Encyclop(a)edia Britannica (Android only has Concise version: https://play.google.com/store/apps/developer?id=Encyclopaedia+Britannica,+Inc. / https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.paragon.britannica.gplay.encyclopedia_britannica.britannica_concise_encyclopedia_2014 / http://www.appbrain.com/app/britannica-encyclopedia-2014/com.paragon.britannica.gplay.encyclopedia_britannica.britannica_concise_encyclopedia_2014 )

Advantages of Android:

- In-built IP67 or IP68 waterproofing but only in-built MIL-STD-810G drop protection on more niche phones
    - Qualcomm Quick Charge 2.0
    - Wireless charging (Qi 1.1, not yet 1.2) which is great for car mount
    - Better modem (e.g. MDM9635 on Galaxy Note 4 for 300Mbps with Carrier Aggregation)
    - 802.11ad (on Snapdragon 810 and after - might be good for a full-frame successor to the Sony QX1)
    - Apps resume from background instantly (partly due to only 512MB RAM in 4s and 1GB RAM in 6 and 6 Plus, and partly due to iOS's approach to memory management?)
    - Two-stage camera button
    - RAW photo capture (in Android L)
    - Can record phone calls elegantly (even better when rooted) (e.g. Killer Mobile)
    - Can block ads (even better when rooted)
    - Can back up and search for text messages on Gmail elegantly (e.g. SMS Backup+)
    - Can have Delivery Reports for SMS without special code (might change with iOS 8.1)
    - Google Dialer with integrated search (possibly integrated into Hangouts Android with Android L, might change with iOS 8.1, either through app extensions or integrated into Hangouts iOS)

Lol. So the iPhone benefits are a few very specific cases and a couple of apps :D

Most android phones don't need "battery cases" as they have replaceable batteries.... And keyboard cases ???? Really ??? How quaint :p

That's a very odd list.....
  • seelleeseellee Posts: 10,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I don't think there's very much belittling of people who prefer Android. Each to their own and all that.

But I think there is definitely a mantra that people who buy iPhones are dumbasses who have been sucked in by Apple, and whatever else, they can't possibly have actually chosen an iPhone simply out of personal preference.

Oh they do. Both sides are as bad as each other. You can respect/like both operating systems. Problem with this forum is people are too extreme one way or another.
  • niceguy1966niceguy1966 Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    finbaar wrote: »
    The vast majority of the phone buying public are dumbasses. There are plenty who have to have the latest iPhone on the day it comes out. And there are loads of people who want a 'Galaxy' because Samsung are cool. I know lots of people who not only don't know what version of Android they are running they don't even know how to find out. Most users would be fine with the Moto G or the iPhone 5C but the allure of shiny shiny is very strong.

It is stupid when people say iPhone users know no better and stupid when others say all Android users of big phones were just waiting for Apple release their big screen devices and they will abandoned Android.

Wow, rude and patronising to both sides! You either hate everyone, or just hate yourself. I can't work out which, but either way you need to think about your priorities and stop being so judgemental.

Get a life. It's a phone not a cure for cancer. It might not be the most important thing in other people's lives and certainly not something to make insulting broad generalisations over.
  • tdensontdenson Posts: 5,773
    Forum Member
    swordman wrote: »
    FYI I own no apple products, I take the inference that I do as libellous.

I am as equally baffled as kidspud that you say this, yet on the 6th September you said the following -
    I gave up on these terrible cables went through about 5 in 6 months or so. Cheap ones from poundland etc simply stop working as do most of these 'genuine' cables from ebay and amazon.

I have never had such hassle with cables with any phone ever very disappointing from Apple to say the least.

In the end i bought an Apple Lightning to Micro USB Adapter which means it plugs into the end of micro usb cable and seems to be working good for now.

If you weren't plugging them in to Apple devices then no wonder they didn't work :)

I don't suppose you'll enlighten us on this apparent contradiction as you never do answer a straight question.
  • Stuart_hStuart_h Posts: 5,311
    Forum Member

Oh there is very much the belittling from both camps....

Us android users are very used to the comments about "not being able to afford apple".

Its only more recently that the apple brigade have got a little quieter as there are fewer "bragging rights" in their arsenal.

When android users were the minority it was very common to "android bash". Things have simply swapped round a little in the last couple of years.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stuart_h wrote: »
    Oh there is very much the belittling from both camps....

Us android users are very used to the comments about "not being able to afford apple".

Its only more recently that the apple brigade have got a little quieter as there are fewer "bragging rights" in their arsenal.

When android users were the minority it was very common to "android bash". Things have simply swapped round a little in the last couple of years.

I'm referring to the discussions here - I don't see much stuff about "not being able to afford Apple", and its certainly not something I'd agree with. I'm sure the top end phones are all getting pretty expensive these days.

But I do see quite a bit of stuff about how iPhone owners have been hoodwinked by Apple. Only the other day someone managed to twist the fact that Apple are touting this year's phones as better than last years as, and I quote, "mind control". I mean seriously, WTF?
  • tdensontdenson Posts: 5,773
    Forum Member

And you don't think Eric Schmidt might just be a tiny bit biased :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zack06 wrote: »
    Like it or not, this statement holds some truth. I can't remember how many times people have said they just chose an iPhone because it's "what everyone else has got", but as soon as they upgrade to an Android device, they find they can do much more than before.

Its what everyone else has got? But hold on - what happened to Android trouncing iOS in terms of market share?

So on the one hand Android has 80% market share, and on the other people buy iPhones because "its what everyone else has got".

So which is it? Because I don't think you can have it both ways!
    I'm not saying that people don't choose iPhones out of preference, clearly they do, but there are those that buy it without really understanding all of their options, they don't really want it. To a tech-muggle (as I like to call them :p) all these phones can look the same, and people can't make informed choices if they are going on what other people say and not what they want themselves.

By the same token...

I'm not saying that people don't choose Android phones out of preference, clearly they do, but there are those that buy it without really understanding all of their options, they don't really want it. To a tech-muggle (as I like to call them :p) all these phones can look the same, and people can't make informed choices if they are going on what other people say and not what they want themselves.
    Logically, Android would not have taken off if it wasn't a viable alternative to the iPhone. Just look at how Windows Phone is struggling even to be noticed. If the product isn't good then it won't sell unless it's homogeneous, and phones these days are differentiated. Apple has just been fortunate that it has a very very strong marketing brand and image to rely on when it comes to selling their products. Without that, the iPhone does look a whole lot less attractive sitting next to the top-dog Android flagships.

There is no argument from me that Android isn't good. That much has certainly never been in dispute. I think a big part of its market share dominance is down to it being available in a much wider range of devices at a much larger range of price points though.

As for how attractive it looks, again, isn't that down to subjective preference?
  • GeordiePaulGeordiePaul Posts: 1,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its what everyone else has got? But hold on - what happened to Android trouncing iOS in terms of market share?

So on the one hand Android has 80% market share, and on the other people buy iPhones because "its what everyone else has got".

So which is it? Because I don't think you can have it both ways!

Must admit, I keep seeing this 80% figure bandied about but I work with lots of mobiles in my job, and have to admit its still 80:20 iPhone v Android at my place. I'm not going to discuss the merits or otherwise of either (I'm Android but I'm also a techie, make of that what you will), just putting it out there :)
  • swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member
    tdenson wrote: »
    I am as equally baffled as kidspud that you say this, yet on the 6th September you said the following -
    If you weren't plugging them in to Apple devices then no wonder they didn't work :)

I don't suppose you'll enlighten us on this apparent contradiction as you never do answer a straight question.

Sorry is there an actual point in this post?

But yes you're quite right I won't be enlightening you, try reading the relevant thread instead of very sad previous post trawling ìn the vain hope of a sad victory.

However what I also won't do is post endless and frankly ludicrous and laughable comparisons between these ios devices and my android devices, like some.
  • BKMBKM Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member
    Must admit, I keep seeing this 80% figure bandied about but I work with lots of mobiles in my job, and have to admit its still 80:20 iPhone v Android at my place. I'm not going to discuss the merits or otherwise of either (I'm Android but I'm also a techie, make of that what you will), just putting it out there :)
    In the US it's said to be more like 50:50. Of course the vast numbers of low end Androids contribute the bulk of the 80%

It would be fairer to compare iPhones with only the top few Android phones.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BKM wrote: »
    In the US it's said to be more like 50:50. Of course the vast numbers of low end Androids contribute the bulk of the 80%

It would be fairer to compare iPhones with only the top few Android phones.

This is true, at my workplace I'd consider that most of our workers are people who I'd consider "fashion concious". The balance might tip in other places, but, overall, I bet iPhones far outsell the high end Android devices.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My take on it is this:

It's entirely down to personal preference.

Some people place more emphasis on specs, others place more emphasis on design or appearance.

The former often can't understand the latter, so attribute buying choice to the whole brainwashed isheep nonsense.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My take on it is this:

It's entirely down to personal preference.

Some people place more emphasis on specs, others place more emphasis on design or appearance.

The former often can't understand the latter, so attribute buying choice to the whole brainwashed isheep nonsense.

True. I would probably buy a 6+ if not for the £700 price tag (64Gb, anything less is pointless to me now), its clearly a great all round machine. However, given I paid £290 for a One M8, has similar all round specs (bar the camera), another £20 on a 64Gb card and £15 on a crack to make into a Google Edition (most people couldn't be arsed, I admit), I will be passing on that :D

Then again as an ex-iPad user, the simple act of dragging and dropping without 3rd party software and not having access to the file system, as well as a multitude of other minor sins would get on my nerves after a while (not least the RAM issue - look up Safari Tab reloading).