Options

One of the last Hollywood legends Lauren Bacall dies aged 89

HildaonplutoHildaonpluto Posts: 37,697
Forum Member
Humphrey Bogarts widow and golden era actress Lauren Bacall has sadly died aged 89 reportedly from a stroke at home in New York.

Comments

• Options
    Walter NeffWalter Neff Posts: 9,200
    Forum Member
    Humphrey Bogarts widow and golden era actress Lauren Bacall has sadly died aged 89 reportedly from a stroke at home in New York.

Very sad, and just a month before her 90th birthday. :(

I am so glad that I saw her on stage in Applause, which Classic Movie Buff's will know, was the musical version of All About Eve, in which she played Margo Channing.

RIP Lauren, and to quote one of the numbers from Applause, "You were one of a kind!" :)
  • Options
    ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There are still a few left: Rhonda Fleming (91) and Luise Rainer (105!).

Rhonda Fleming starred in the 1953 3D movie "Inferno" which was released on 3D Blu-ray on Aug. 10 to coincide with her birthday.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Very sad, and just a month before her 90th birthday. :(

I am so glad that I saw her on stage in Applause, which Classic Movie Buff's will know, was the musical version of All About Eve, in which she played Margo Channing.

RIP Lauren, and to quote one of the numbers from Applause, "You were one of a kind!" :)

What a broad the late Ms Bacall was in every sense going by all the tributes!It does seem to be one of those years were were losing a lot of the old names.:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ironjade wrote: »
    There are still a few left: Rhonda Fleming (91) and Luise Rainer (105!).

Rhonda Fleming starred in the 1953 3D movie "Inferno" which was released on 3D Blu-ray on Aug. 10 to coincide with her birthday.
    Were definitely getting to the point relatively soon were there wont be any of the golden era left :(
    For me Ms Bacall was so iconic that this is a significant watershed.

Ps Luise Rainer is 104!
  • Options
    mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    one of my favourite actresses, if not the fav. such a young age to carry off such sultry lines playing off bogey..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    one of my favourite actresses, if not the fav. such a young age to carry off such sultry lines playing off bogey..

Great onscreen chemistry ,if not arguably the best onscreen chemistry for any hollywood pairing of that era.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10
    Forum Member
    Great actress - great lady and such chemistry with Bogart during the golden age of cinema. Quite a few current actresses need to take a long hard look at her performances - sheer class.
    RIP.

"You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together—and blow."
  • Options
    Ancient IDTVAncient IDTV Posts: 10,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    About time I re-watched 'Murder on the Orient Express', I reckon.
  • Options
    rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Great actress and she carried a certain style and grace about her which was in evident in the way she delivered her lines. This is one the great movie scenes between her and Humphrey Bogart from The Big Sleep:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LF_chuSy9G4
  • Options
    Finn MarleyFinn Marley Posts: 54
    Forum Member
    Deleted
  • Options
    Chris MarkChris Mark Posts: 4,897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great actress, had a great screen presence.

She will be missed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Broadway diming the their lights tonight in honour of Lauren .
  • Options
    Forum Member
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Never seen any of her movies but had planned on to prior to her death anyway
    RIP Lauren

At least she is with Humphrey.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Murder on the orient express will be on ITV next Saturday at 15:55
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Murder on the orient express will be on ITV next Saturday at 15:55

Thank You
  • Options
    rufus oculusrufus oculus Posts: 236
    Forum Member
    Morrissey shares his thoughts on Richard Attenborough, Lauren Bacall and Dora Bryan (all of whom he met) on his True to You website.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Morrissey shares his thoughts on Richard Attenborough, Lauren Bacall and Dora Bryan (all of whom he met) on his True to You website.

I meant to bump this thread on the 16th of September as Lauren would have turned 90:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I felt that with the year 2014 drawing to a close it would be a timely opportunity to bump this thread about the passing of one of the bigger characters in hollywood history this year.:(

A complete one off and quite the antidote to the safe homogenisation/sameness that seems on the increase in todays Hollywood which by reckoning has less actors/actresses etc who are real characters or "originals".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I felt that with the year 2014 drawing to a close it would be a timely opportunity to bump this thread about the passing of one of the bigger characters in hollywood history this year.:(

A complete one off and quite the antidote to the safe homogenisation/sameness that seems on the increase in todays Hollywood which by reckoning has less actors/actresses etc who are real characters or "originals".

How true, all of the stars of the Golden Age were totally individuals, there was no one quite like them.

These days I can't tell one from the other, and I am not even tempted to go to the cinema to watch them. :(
  • Options
    spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    golden age stars were built up by a studio system that no longer exists. Bacall was maybe not pretty but certainly was smouldering sexy ........
  • Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 23,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Wasn't she supposed to be quite rude?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    dodrade wrote: »
    Wasn't she supposed to be quite rude?

She could be, I have told this story before, but you may not have seen it.

I waited with some others outside the stage door of a Shaftesbury Avenue theatre in 1972 where Deborah Ker was starring in George Bernard Shaw's "Candida."

Lauren Bacall who was over here starring in "Applause" at Her Majesty's Theatre was the first to emerge from the stage door, where she had been visiting Deborah. I had heard of her reputation so I didn't approach her. A couple of others asked for her autograph and she snapped, "No, come and see my show!" I was tempted to say to her, "some of us have seen your effing show!" but I don't think that would have made any difference. ;-)

A few minutes later Deborah came to the stage door, with a big smile, she actually apologised for keeping us waiting and then invited us all into her dressing room. She signed every autograph and posed for photo's. I still have the photo of us together with her arms around me. She was totally enchanting, and without doubt the nicest and most beautiful star that I have ever met. When she was chatting to us she mentioned that she loved meeting her fans. I couldn't resist commenting that it was a pity that Miss Bacall could not be as gracious to her fans. Deborah roared with laughter and said, "Poor Betty, she does have a few hang ups."

Oddly enough, that never turned me off Bacall, I remained a fan, and I wasn't surprised with her behaviour, it seemed to go with her image. :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One thing i admire her for is her support for LGBT rights. She was very vocal at a time when many people were not. She was also not afraid to share about her dislike for Bush, whose homophobic remarks angered her.
  • Options
    rufus oculusrufus oculus Posts: 236
    Forum Member
    One thing i admire her for is her support for LGBT rights. She was very vocal at a time when many people were not. She was also not afraid to share about her dislike for Bush, whose homophobic remarks angered her.

She was. As was Liz Taylor.