Options

Job snobs

boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
Forum Member
✭✭
Do U know any??

I work in a sector that is victim to this kind of attitude, we find a lot of immigrants tend to apply for our work, and surprise surprise they get the jobs!

I think there is a sense of entitlement from the indigenous population these days, & immigrants tend to think "well Im here, I'd better get on with anything I can get" which benefits them in the long run.

Comments

• Options
    Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If there is someone suitable for the job why give it to someone unsuitable?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ethel_Fred wrote: »
    If there is someone suitable for the job why give it to someone unsuitable?

Its more that sometimes there is a lack of applicants with some jobs. U know the type: call centre, care work, retail. If British people just arent applying in significant %'s its gonna be no surprises if foreigners get the work.
  • Options
    Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, don't know any.

I know several folk who have been turned down for shelf stacking jobs at major supermarkets. It used to be the case you'd just walk in and they'd pretty much say start this afternoon; not anymore.
  • Options
    ImpingerImpinger Posts: 3,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    boddism wrote: »
    Do U know any??

I work in a sector that is victim to this kind of attitude, we find a lot of immigrants tend to apply for our work, and surprise surprise they get the jobs!

I think there is a sense of entitlement from the indigenous population these days, & immigrants tend to think "well Im here, I'd better get on with anything I can get" which benefits them in the long run.

Which sector is it that you work in?
  • Options
    BillyJamesTBillyJamesT Posts: 2,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A good rate of pay will cure job snobery everytime
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Impinger wrote: »
    Which sector is it that you work in?

Social sector
  • Options
    ImpingerImpinger Posts: 3,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Social sector

As in social care?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The majority of minimum wage jobs are done by British people, I think we need to start acknowledging this fact.
  • Options
    anndra_wanndra_w Posts: 6,557
    Forum Member
    Wages are too low and because successive governments have been no use at attracting the type of busines that can provide decent wages and rewarding work we're left with this situation where people's main option is to work in low paid, tedious jobs with no hope of moving onto something better. The situation with wages is now so out of hand that people can be working full time and still be earning almost as little as they could claim in the form of Britains shockingly low welfare benefits. There's not a problem with job snobbery there's just been a decline in respect for workers and people in general. We live in an exceptionally horrible society and will probably end up as bad as America one day.
  • Options
    BrokenArrowBrokenArrow Posts: 21,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    anndra_w wrote: »
    Wages are too low and because successive governments have been no use at attracting the type of busines that can provide decent wages and rewarding work we're left with this situation where people's main option is to work in low paid, tedious jobs with no hope of moving onto something better. The situation with wages is now so out of hand that people can be working full time and still be earning almost as little as they could claim in the form of Britains shockingly low welfare benefits. There's not a problem with job snobbery there's just been a decline in respect for workers and people in general. We live in an exceptionally horrible society and will probably end up as bad as America one day.

If you want good wages, then you have to get a skill that an employer is willing pay for. Burger flippers are 10 a penny.
  • Options
    BillyJamesTBillyJamesT Posts: 2,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you want good wages, then you have to get a skill that an employer is willing pay for. Burger flippers are 10 a penny.

Now theres an example of job snobery
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Job snob.

Interesting you use the term 'Burger flippers', which of course in an American term, the very sort of thing the poster is protesting against.
  • Options
    MartinPMartinP Posts: 31,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jol44 wrote: »
    The majority of minimum wage jobs are done by British people, I think we need to start acknowledging this fact.

Who says the majority are not? :confused:
  • Options
    redhatmattredhatmatt Posts: 5,197
    Forum Member
    Do U know any??

Perhaps if the sector you worked in actually paid nmw then it would actually attract workers who could work legally.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Now theres an example of job snobery

Do you see any error in my logic?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    redhatmatt wrote: »
    Perhaps if the sector you worked in actually paid nmw then it would actually attract workers who could work legally.

All our workers work legally whatever their origins. I remember in previous jobs I had that other less desirable jobs have a higher degree of immigrants in them too. Its not just cos those are the jobs they go for, or they're only capable of. The salaries aint gonna be any higher/lower if Brits do them, so the factor must be that Brits just arent applying in the same amount or we have a low quality workforce.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jol44 wrote: »
    Job snob.

Interesting you use the term 'Burger flippers', which of course in an American term, the very sort of thing the poster is protesting against.

Sorry, food rotational engineer.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 84
    Forum Member
    Do U know any??

Maybe because immigrants live 3, 4, 5 or more to a house and split the costs of the rent/bills between them and don't mind living in squalor for a few years because usually the wages they've earned go far further on basics in their own country when they return.

A sense of entitlement is when a indigenous worker has to compete with a overseas worker who thinks just having four walls and a roof is a luxury.
    Whereas the indigenous workers 'sense of entitlement' stems from them usually knowing quite a bit more about H&S or wanting a living wage for them and their families.
    If the country was suddenly flooded with Chinese workers the East Europeans especially would find themselves undercut with a further spiral to the bottom in squalor/wages/health.
    End result a third world country just like India.....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So let your Burger flipper claim tax credits so they can have a minimum standard of life. Heck, it's only the taxpayer that's paying for it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Svetzem wrote: »
    Maybe because immigrants live 3, 4, 5 or more to a house and split the costs of the rent/bills between them and don't mind living in squalor for a few years because usually the wages they've earned go far further on basics in their own country when they return.
    I thought the immigrants were taking all of our homes - as well as taking all of our jobs whilst only coming here to claim benefits
  • Options
    Forum Member
    All our workers work legally whatever their origins. I remember in previous jobs I had that other less desirable jobs have a higher degree of immigrants in them too. Its not just cos those are the jobs they go for, or they're only capable of. The salaries aint gonna be any higher/lower if Brits do them, so the factor must be that Brits just arent applying in the same amount or we have a low quality workforce.

10% of the social care sector does not pay nmw. So I am sure if you identified your employer we could verify the legality of the terms of employment that the employees work under.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    the last two articles in the daily mail about employees being too good for work involved a company called car smart UK and the topping pie company. Both paid their employees less than minimum wage.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ethel_Fred wrote: »
    I thought the immigrants were taking all of our homes - as well as taking all of our jobs whilst only coming here to claim benefits

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
  • Options
    David Brent_David Brent_ Posts: 115
    Forum Member
    It is trendy to slag off British workers & the unemployed but I don't buy it. Where is your sense of loyalty and who exactly voted for millions of East Europeans to live and work in the UK?

The real problem is making work pay and how best to educate and train the indigenous people.

The solution is not to demonise British people but to stop the flood of EU migration, pay a living wage and supply affordable social housing.

As long as Britain has open borders with the EU the business community will remain addicted to migrant labour and that in the long run will result in another lost generation. Is that a price worth paying for cheap goods and services?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is trendy to slag off British workers & the unemployed but I don't buy it. Where is your sense of loyalty and who exactly voted for millions of East Europeans to live and work in the UK?

The real problem is making work pay and how best to educate and train the indigenous people.

The solution is not to demonise British people but to stop the flood of EU migration, pay a living wage and supply affordable social housing.

As long as Britain has open borders with the EU the business community will remain addicted to migrant labour and that in the long run will result in another lost generation. Is that a price worth paying for cheap goods and services?

If you improve the minimum wage and provide affordable housing, more will come.

What we need is to find a way to make sure the Brits get the best jobs and the food rotational engineering gets left to the migrants.