Options

The Big Holby City Thread (Part 4)

Comments

• Options
    Collins1965Collins1965 Posts: 13,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They need nurses more. Only nurses currently are Colette and Jonny Mac. Obviously there is more to come but they need more.

We know Fletch is coming, he will probably end up on AAU. They have Jonny on Darwin and it looks like Adele could end up doing nursing too. Colette seems to be more on Keller than anywhere else. Essie is a bit of a floater, she has been on AAU and Keller.

Then of course we do have the agency nurse played by Helen Flanagan to look forward to!!!
  • Options
    Jadelyn09Jadelyn09 Posts: 655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Plus, Mary Claire is coming back.
  • Options
    susanne fansusanne fan Posts: 1,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kitkat1971 wrote: »
    It would be really interesting to see somebody go from F1 through to Registrar or even Consultant if they stayed for 10 or 15 years but I just don't think many young actors (they should only be about 22 or 23 when starting as a F1 for Arfedson is playing younger than her real age) making that kind of long term commitment. At that age it is likely to be one of their first, if not first major roles after Drama school and they will want to do other parts and not be completely typecast that early in their career. Generally, the 'long termers' are older when they take the part, either with a lot of other roles (in theatre if not tv or film) already under their belt of realistic about unemployment and recognising and appreciating the financial and working life (in terms of not having to go on tour) security a long television role can give them and their family as again, they are more likely to have a partner and children to support than a twentysomething.

Maddie - that was another Junior doctor that they killed. Will and Diane as well of course though they were a bit older and more senior.

It's not just Camilla Arfwedson playing over her age, David Ames is in his 30s, not sure about Rob (Digby) but he must be around the same age as them.

kitkat1971 wrote: »
    Re Gemma - that was quick. Generally a year isn't long enough to establish a character and I don't know if it was the actor or Producers decision. I do think they didn't really know what to do with her after the initial 'dr Honey' plot was finished and then when viewers didn't 'ship' her romance with Harry as I suspect they hoped they would, her cards were marked.

Most characters seeom to last 2 and a half to 3 years these days.

It felt like they had a great idea for a character with Gemma then seemed I get bored after about 5 episodes.

We know Fletch is coming, he will probably end up on AAU. They have Jonny on Darwin and it looks like Adele could end up doing nursing too. Colette seems to be more on Keller than anywhere else. Essie is a bit of a floater, she has been on AAU and Keller.

Then of course we do have the agency nurse played by Helen Flanagan to look forward to!!!

Forgot about Essie, but she's not in the titles yet is she. Helen Flanagan isn't long term either is she?
    emzi27 wrote: »
    Collette annoys me so much. The most monotone expressionless voice I've ever heard. Terrible actress!

I think she's a decent actress just no storylines for her, perhaps she's been off filming others shows (like Common) But so far she's been massively underused in my opinion.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9
    Forum Member
    Just watched this weeks Holby and feel dreadfully sad for Elliot. Cant decide if Jac will stitch him up or not to be honest. I would hope not. LOVED the references to all the departed characters. Oh how I miss HH :0(
  • Options
    wiggles247wiggles247 Posts: 48,088
    Forum Member

According to a tweet from Chizzy he'll be here (there) in 3 weeks time.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9
    Forum Member
    Don't forget that Holby is on BBC 2 tonight at 8.30pm.
  • Options
    kitkat1971kitkat1971 Posts: 39,257
    Forum Member
    Tracy_Wood wrote: »
    Don't forget that Holby is on BBC 2 tonight at 8.30pm.

Actually thabks for that - I had forgotten the different time though I'm sure I'd have realised when I switched on for EE at 7.30 and it wasn't there.
  • Options
    Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Serena has the best lines!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Connie!!!!!! :D:D
  • Options
    IJoinedInMayIJoinedInMay Posts: 26,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Connie doesn't know Jonnie? I didn't think she had been away from Holby for that long.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Connie and Jac! This is going to be fun :D
  • Options
    SecretLifeoBeesSecretLifeoBees Posts: 50,920
    Forum Member
    Oh I've missed the Jac/Connie sparring matches. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sam and Joseph mentions!!!
  • Options
    Gary_LandyFanGary_LandyFan Posts: 3,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't normally venture into here, but this storyline just made me laugh.

They won't get help because it will throw away her career, but they will risk throwing away all three of their careers...
  • Options
    lea_uklea_uk Posts: 9,648
    Forum Member
    Loving Elliott tonight.
  • Options
    nick202nick202 Posts: 9,919
    Forum Member
    That Connie and Elliot scene warmed my cockles
  • Options
    SaddlerSteveSaddlerSteve Posts: 4,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jac back to her back stabbing best.
  • Options
    Joy DeanJoy Dean Posts: 21,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do like Digby.
  • Options
    MorgsieMorgsie Posts: 16,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What happened at the end involving Digby?
    Loved Jac and Connie though as I have said on the FB group Connie and Serena would have been even cattier
  • Options
    skteoskskteosk Posts: 19,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not really sure what the point of those bits at the beginning and end with Arthur was, they didn't offer any insight to anything and just confused the matter with the way the voiceover continued over Jac's bit. I was cheering when Arthur gave Zosia a long overdue verbal slap down but...I wouldn't go as far as saying I wish they'd just let Zosia die, but I really don't like that Arthur has now put his career at risk because of her selfishness and given Psycho Dom something to hold over him.

Oh, Jac...I'm trying hard not to be too judgemental here but yeah, she's gone behind Elliot's back. Hard not to know what to make of her "It was never a decision": That she was never really going to say no or that she knows Guy would never have let her do anything else? She kind of manipulated Connie into giving an endorsement by outright lying. I wish we'd heard what exactly her terms were: Maybe she sees this as the only way to make sure both she and Elliot keep their jobs. Hard to tell if her insisting Guy tell Elliot is her ducking out of responsibility or making sure he takes home. (Also hard to shake the feeling she'll come back and find Elliot's still in the dark.) Jac and Connie's bitch-fest veered between entertaining and excruciating but the continuity references were nice and more than we've had in all the episodes of Casualty Connie's been in. Having her on one show is more than enough though. (And sorry, folks, but unless Connie's out of date it seems Joseph is still married...) And yes, Connie left Holby nearly a year and a half before Jonny and Mo arrived, they never worked with her.

Harry, Raf and Amy...were in it. Serena threatening to suspend Raf seemed like a slight overreaction.
  • Options
    wiggles247wiggles247 Posts: 48,088
    Forum Member
    Was it just me or did that episode drag for anybody else? Looked at the clock and could hardly believe it had been on for less than half an hour (which isn't something I normally find with Holby)

Good (not sure that's quite the right word but) to see psycho Dom rearing his oh so pretty head again (threatening Digby with prison = how could he?:o)!!

Loved Serena telling Raf what was what (but then generally just love Serena)

Is it really that easy to put someone out to pasture when they don't want to go and you have no real grounds (because Elliott's better now, or will be after a bit of sick leave)???? I can see how Jac might be able to continue as acting Clinical Lead until he's fully recovered but not sure how Guy will be able to make that a permanent thing unless he gets Elliott to agree somehow.
    And they're already a consultant down and had to get Connie up from A&E to help out with an op but it's somehow OK for Jac to go to ?Pittsburgh for 3 weeks now. What's that all about???? Fluid staffing doesn't really cover it!!!

Ohh and Dom, Zosia and Digby are all seemingly staying on Keller, because none of them need to get any different experience obviously!!! Same with Harry on AAU - absolutely ridiculous!!
  • Options
    Collins1965Collins1965 Posts: 13,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So much to enjoy in that episode - Connie swanning around Darwin being the main one! Herself and Jac spark magnificently off each other.

Plus a Sam reference and ANOTHER Joseph one - oh, how they love to tease us Joseph lovers!! And Jac's face when Connie mentioned his "lovely" new wife said it all - although I fear that it was that together with the sacrifice of giving Emma to her father for her career sake (not really true then) that helped Jac make her decision to stab Elliot in the back. That is going to be hard to watch.

I fear for Arthur, I really do. Now Zosia has his "confession" on tape and psycho Dom has made a veiled threat about having him struck off. I loved Sacha's "Will and Grace" reference!!

I could even take Smug/Smug/Seppy Smug/Posh in small doses so happy was I to see Queen Connie back where she belongs (she is wasted in Casualty) even if only for a very short time.

And the Connie/Elliot hug was just aaagh :blush::)

But I agree that the three stooges remaining on Keller and Posh staying on AAU for another year is just ridiculous.

Oh, and another highlight for me - Connie putting Mo and Jonny back into their boxes :D
  • Options
    qwerty21qwerty21 Posts: 294
    Forum Member
    It's rare that I feel the need to comment but I think Holby is having an upturn in form of late after a poor few months.

I like Raf's character and him and Amy's relationship was explored quite nicely today as was his relationship with Harry. It was believable and was not melodramatic. Serena (who is probably my favourite character) relationship with Raf is interesting, her threat to suspend him was kind of odd and an overreaction. The class warfare aspect of Raf and Harry's dislike of each other needs to be dropped. We get it!

The framing device used for the episode was odd, although it did lead to the gem of a line from Digby "I have actually admitted to all on tape". The storyline of Zosia was fairly good. Her character can be really worthwile and moving but has been madly inconsistent. Going from sympathetic to spoilt brat v. quickly. Dom's line to Digby about prison was just outright bizzare. Why the three F1s are all on the same ward makes next to no sense to me. Digby to Darwin and Dom to AAU would be sensible. Keller has also functioned too long without any consultant nor nurses.

Jac and Connie was awesome and we're being spoilt for continuity references at the moment. They've utilised her far better than casualty has in months in one episode.

I'm warming up to Guy, whilst I don't like him, he is an excellent character who is not quite a villain, sometimes being sympathetic. He isn't likable but always interesting. Even Colette is improving! But I did like this episode for not having her in it.
  • Options
    tenchgirltenchgirl Posts: 11,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Secret escapes is a bloody disgrace. I am so sick of the 3 stooges now. Dumdom and SS need to go.
  • Options
    nick202nick202 Posts: 9,919
    Forum Member
    qwerty21 wrote: »

Jac and Connie was awesome and we're being spoilt for continuity references at the moment. They've utilised her far better than casualty has in months in one episode.

I couldn't agree more - it's almost as if this episode was being used to fill all the blanks re. Grace, etc. that Casualty should have filled in a few months ago!
This discussion has been closed.