Options

Itv Flop Splash is Cancelled after 2 dire series

2»

Comments

• Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All the best light entertainment shows in history are built around a charismatic host.

Something in short supply at the moment. Nowadays, almost everyone you see on TV in a presenting role is bland bland bland.
  • Options
    mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tassium wrote: »
    All the best light entertainment shows in history are built around a charismatic host.

Something in short supply at the moment. Nowadays, almost everyone you see on TV in a presenting role is bland bland bland.

True enough when the likes of that Paddy McGuiness and Stars fella can get hosting jobs on prime time ITV you know the barrels arse is already being scraped.

Dara O'Briain would probably be very good but I can't see him being interested somehow..
  • Options
    Ray_SmithRay_Smith Posts: 1,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Worst tv show ever!

Probably.

Although watching England in this year's World Cup could rival Splash for awfulness.
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SamuelW wrote: »
    Lol no, Im serious!

So what's on the other side of the wall?
    Or is the wall rising if they sing well enough the spectacle in itself?
  • Options
    Janet43Janet43 Posts: 8,008
    Forum Member
    iaindb wrote: »
    Tumble is not BBC1's equivalent to Splash!. It's their equivalent of Dancing On Ice which was a huge hit in its day.;-)

One of the problems that Splash! had was that a dive only takes about 5 seconds from board to water and there's only a limited amount that a celebrity with a few weeks training can do in those seconds. So the novelty wears off quite quickly.

Presumably the routines in Tumble are going to last the same length of time as a routine in DOI or a routine in Strictly - about 2 minutes. Figure-skating and ice-dancing are basically gymnastics on ice. If celebrity ice-dancing can become a bit TV hit then I don't see why celebrity gymnastics can't be too.
    So long as they don't have Jason b****y Gardiner as a judge. Can you imagine the comments - "You looked like an ostrich burying your head in the sand when you landed on it at the end of the tumbling routine and knocked yourself out."
  • Options
    batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ray_Smith wrote: »
    Worst tv show ever!

Probably.

Although watching England in this year's World Cup could rival Splash for awfulness.

Celebrity Love Island was far worse surely??!!
  • Options
    DiamondDollDiamondDoll Posts: 21,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whilst I watched about ten minutes of it and thought it was dreadful, my darling sis-in-law adored it.

There's no accounting for the taste of some folks. :o
  • Options
    ThrasymachusThrasymachus Posts: 2,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Itvs big new hope for next year is a singing show called Rising Star which involves a singer performing performing in front of a large wall. The wall rises if the singer performs good enough. This show has already aired in the USA and South America, ended up rating very poorly in these countries. The Brazilian version rated so bad that it was beaten by a cheap chatshow on a minor channel [The Sylvio Santos Show].

Isn't that the Voice but with the chairs being replaced by a wall?

What a shockingly bad idea that is
  • Options
    Tom2023Tom2023 Posts: 2,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tassium wrote: »
    So none of the highly paid TV executives in the UK can come up with decent light entertainment programme?

It's not their job to come up with ideas. It's their job to sort the wheat from the chaff which admittedly they don't seem very good at.
  • Options
    NoEntry2kNoEntry2k Posts: 14,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    GORTONIAN wrote: »
    It IS a global success but has still not produced the numbers the Beeb expected
    As the BBC had to commit to another three seasons before the first run had even finished they are stuck with it...

I thought it was just two series the BBC had to commit to for the rights to The Voice, not three series? Either way, while I agree it hasn’t been the hit the BBC were expecting, it has done well for them, otherwise a 4th series wouldn’t be in pre-production right now. In fact, I think The Voice played a major role in the axing of Splash.
    If you look at the ratings for the first series of Splash they were actually very good, despite the critical panning. The second series returned with lower but still good ratings, until the week it went head to head with The Voice, at which point the ratings plummeted and didn’t recover. That, along with Tom Daley wanting to concentrate on the 2016 Olympics resulted in ITV’s decision not to bring it back. Thats my view anyway.
    Isn't that the Voice but with the chairs being replaced by a wall?

What a shockingly bad idea that is

Sort of, yes, but Rising Star’s unique selling point is that viewers at home vote on the singer auditioning in ‘real time’. They determine if they progress past the audition stage, where as previously (in Pop Idol, X Factor, The Voice etc) it’s always been on screen judges who decide.

But as has been said, apart from in a few countries Rising Star hasn’t been the hit everyone had hoped. I know the recent US debut was disappointing. Speaking of which, I haven’t been able to find out how the ‘real time’ voting works in the US where the programme airs at different times across the country???
  • Options
    GroundhogalGroundhogal Posts: 9,491
    Forum Member
    If only the useless programme makers could blame it on homophobia but Tom's not gay. ;-)
  • Options
    newda898newda898 Posts: 5,466
    Forum Member
    Bring on the Wall!
  • Options
    Jason100Jason100 Posts: 17,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good Job ITV! One down three to go!
  • Options
    Rupert RigsbyRupert Rigsby Posts: 279
    Forum Member
    It was either going to sink or swim.
  • Options
    Francis_ChuFrancis_Chu Posts: 355
    Forum Member
    I guess that means we won't see Gabby Logan jump in the pool at the end of the series anymore.
  • Options
    BryanandLucBryanandLuc Posts: 1,056
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And Tom Daly is busy telling the worls that he doesn't think he will be able to do it because of his training for the next olympics
    It's been cancelled mate
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I liked it. They had to learn a skill who improve on what they could already do.
  • Options
    tobitobi Posts: 2,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Itv diving show Splash has been cancelled after series 2 plummetted in the ratings. The program, featuring Tom Daley, has been given the shop after series 2 rated 2million viewers lower than the first series.

http://www.broadcastnow.co.uk/news/broadcasters/splash-unlikely-to-return-to-itv/5073498.article
    Get ready for the flop on BBC to take over called Tumble
  • Options
    WhyIsTVSoAwfulWhyIsTVSoAwful Posts: 608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Itvs big new hope for next year is a singing show called Rising Star which involves a singer performing performing in front of a large wall. The wall rises if the singer performs good enough. This show has already aired in the USA and South America, ended up rating very poorly in these countries. The Brazilian version rated so bad that it was beaten by a cheap chatshow on a minor channel [The Sylvio Santos Show].

Someone's already called you up on it, but...jeeesus, tell me you're joking?
  • Options
    rkidrkid Posts: 1,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A.D.P wrote: »
    Did it drown? I though the show was rather wet, it had to be canceled after the ratings dived.

Don't give up yer day job :D:D:D:D