Options

Do Slimming clubs take people of a normal weight?

kochspostulateskochspostulates Posts: 3,067
Forum Member
✭✭✭
My BMI is between 20-25, but I want to lose half a stone. Can I join weightwatchers or slimming world?

Comments

• Options
    Keefy-boyKeefy-boy Posts: 13,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you really need to join weightwatchers to lose half a stone?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have no will power though.
  • Options
    gasheadgashead Posts: 13,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A slimming group won't magically give you willpower. Losing weight will require making changes to your general eating and exercise habits however you do it.

To answer your question, yes, slimming groups will usually take people of 'normal' weight as long as you remain within 'normal' weight, i.e. they won't help you become dangerously under-weight.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If you have no will power then how do you know that you will keep going to the meetings?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find social pressure quite effective, if everyone else is doing something, I can be persuaded to do it as well. Doing it on my own if quite difficult, particularly when it isn't that much that I want to lose.

Maybe if I was really overweight and had to do it for diabetes or something, I might have more willpower? But I don't want to get to that point.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    If you have no will power then how do you know that you will keep going to the meetings?

I guess it's not the end of the world if I don't lose that half stone? But I want to try at least.
  • Options
    cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member
    I find social pressure quite effective, if everyone else is doing something, I can be persuaded to do it as well. Doing it on my own if quite difficult, particularly when it isn't that much that I want to lose.

Maybe if I was really overweight and had to do it for diabetes or something, I might have more willpower? But I don't want to get to that point.

If you have to change eating habits etc you will have to do that at home, They won't come and do it for you so the will power needs to come from you
  • Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I guess it's not the end of the world if I don't lose that half stone? But I want to try at least.
    You could lose that in 4 weeks quite easily, so not too much will power needed. Some of us have to diet for 2 or 3 years to get stones off now that does require will power.
  • Options
    JJ75JJ75 Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Am sure there is a weight loss thread knocking around. That might be a useful incentive?
  • Options
    Duffman2000Duffman2000 Posts: 1,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JJ75 wrote: »
    Am sure there is a weight loss thread knocking around. That might be a useful incentive?
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1923650
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks, that's a good idea.

Or should I go to one of those weight loss camps for a week and lose the whole half stone in one go?
  • Options
    chopsimchopsim Posts: 3,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I lose that when I have dump in the mornings.
  • Options
    Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member
    Join My Fitness Pal, it's free,
  • Options
    luckylilaluckylila Posts: 3,685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks, that's a good idea.

Or should I go to one of those weight loss camps for a week and lose the whole half stone in one go?

If you lose it in a week, you'll put it right back on within weeks when you start eating normally.

If your BMI is normal to start with, are you sure you want to lose weight? Sounds like the start of an eating disorder to me.
  • Options
    Tamryn29Tamryn29 Posts: 607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What's the problem with the op asking about slimming groups? No ofc they don't come and lose weight for you and you do need some willpower but it's well known that a part of these types of groups success with regards to weight loss is due to the group factor and being around like minded people and gaining strength and motivation from them. Half a stone doesn't seem like a lot to you and me but the op finds it hard to lose weight and for whatever reasons feels like he needs to, then he should be encouraged surely?

Go for it op, they will take anyone who wishes to be there you don't have to fit a set list of requirements.
  • Options
    Summer BreezeSummer Breeze Posts: 4,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you a friend or two who want to lose a bit of weight as well?
    I think a bit of competition and encouragement between you could help you keep on the right track to achieve your weight loss goal.
  • Options
    Duffman2000Duffman2000 Posts: 1,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chopsim wrote: »
    I lose that when I have dump in the mornings.

That happened to me this afternoon. :(
  • Options
    Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WW will let you sign up as long as you are at least 10% above the bottom of the 'normal' BMI range.

So if, for example, you're 5'7", you are ok to go along as long as you weigh 130 pounds or more